Do you boycott certain businesses?

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 02:18 pm
too much fried food
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 02:20 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm waiting to see how they spin God's involvement in all this...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 02:33 pm
@Rockhead,
that flitted through my mind

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:24 pm
Quote:
Updated at 5 p.m. ET: Chick-fil-A's vice president of public relations, Don Perry, died suddenly early Friday, the company said, leaving the embattled restaurant chain without its chief spokesman amid a marketing crisis.
"Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years," the company said in a statement. "For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A. He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him."
WRBL, a CBS television affiliate in Columbus, Ga., reported that Perry died of a heart attack, citing franchise owner Ross Cathy, son of Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy. A company spokesman said he could not confirm the cause of death.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/27/12994174-chick-fil-a-spokesman-don-perry-dies-as-company-battles-controversy?lite

With all the problems this company has with PR right now I think we can say there are two possibilities:

a) this dude was not very good at his job

b) this guy was not allowed to do his job
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
There has been a lot of clucking surrounding the comments Chick-fil-A COO Dan Cathy made on my radio show on June 16.

While discussing fatherhood with me, Dan Cathy expressed the following thoughts that have contributed to the media firestorm:

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Cathy said. "And I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Listen to the entire interview with Dan Cathy.

In recent days activist bloggers, opportunistic politicians and the media have brought the culture war over re-defining marriage to a boil, inciting boycotts, protests and rallies of support.

I have no desire to join the debate over the definition of marriage. However, I ask questions for a living and I am quite comfortable asking the necessary questions to provoke a public conversation about civility in our public discourse.

I have observed and been engaged in the reaction on both sides of this story. I have come to the troubling conclusion that the uproar is not fueled by the debate on same sex marriage, rather the primary issue has become the tension between conviction and tolerance

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ken-coleman/redefining-tolerance-chick-fil-a_b_1711677.html

I dont see this....the opposite of moral conviction is moral relativity, not believing in anything, but both sides here argue from conviction that they know and they are also right.

Quote:
Increasingly, we see a well-oiled publicity machine that is redefining tolerance as, "either you agree with me or you need to button your lips." Those who throw the labels of intolerance and bigotry at those who share an opposing opinion are ironically modeling a glaring lack of tolerance

Now we know that the Left especially routinely uses the tactic of redefining words to suit their political worldview, and also are glaringly in tolerant of those who fail to properly swear allegiance to their doctrine. Look no further than here at A2K where those of us who argue that the new expanded definition for rape is wrong are said to be "rape promoters" or in my case arguing for sexual freedom for teens makes me a pedophile because I refuse to swear that teen sex with older people should continue to be a crime. "agree with me or else you are a bigot", or worse, is how it goes now. Tolerant people we are not.

Quote:
Times have certainly changed yet America's melting pot DNA has not. Our future as a great society depends largely on our ability to live alongside those who believe and act differently than us. The world will continue to change but Americans right to express their beliefs will not.

I am highly skeptical that either side in the marriage debate, or any other social or political debate for that matter, will change the others position. However, I am quite certain that it is difficult to be angry with or accuse one of bigotry while conversing over coffee.

To those who would join me in the messy middle, I take my coffee with cream and sugar

That we have largely lost the ability to socialize with people with whom we dont agree is one of the great failures of the American experiment. The massive loss of tolerance that we have suffered from weakens us greatly.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That we have largely lost the ability to socialize with people with whom we dont agree is one of the great failures of the American experiment. The massive loss of tolerance that we have suffered from weakens us greatly.

I don't agree. We have never been very tolerant. Look at the institutionalized racism until the last couple decades. Go back and look at the racism directed toward the Irish when they came over. Look a the treatment of the American Japanese community during WWII. The struggle for tolerance will continue and I'm not sure we have made any headway. It is just too easy to identify someone different than you and assign all the world's problem to them. Most of it is out of ignorance and emotional justification. It gives us an answer other than taking responsibility ourselves. I think of Jesus' words, Love your neighbor as yourself. I guess the Baptists don't have any gay neighbors, at least that they know about. The difference lately is the militancy of the right in trying to get their views written into law. All the while proclaiming the land of the free.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I dont see this....the opposite of moral conviction is moral relativity, not believing in anything,

Bullshit. I have morals. They just don't happen to agree with yours.

My morality says keep your religious views out of our laws.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:39 pm
@IRFRANK,
Uh, he's zen.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:51 pm
@IRFRANK,
Muslims, Gays, blacks, and women are still the target of political rhetoric.

As you say, most whites were discriminated early in our country's history; many whites have forgotten that.

Look at the rhetoric used by Romney about "anglo saxons." The guys a racial bigot, a liar, and a Mormon.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:53 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
I dont see this....the opposite of moral conviction is moral relativity, not believing in anything,

Bullshit. I have morals. They just don't happen to agree with yours.

My morality says keep your religious views out of our laws.

I was under the impression that all religions down through time have discouraged homosexuality. How do you claim that one religon is trying to force its will through law? It looks to me that approving of homosexual marriage is the change, that it is the supportors of this who are open to your charge, if anyone is.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
You have things ass-backwards. Fighting for equal rights is the American way.

We still struggle with equal rights, because people like you don't have the understanding of what this country is all about.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 10:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday that despite his own support of same-sex marriage, he disagrees with some of his fellow mayors who have said that the fast-food chain Chick-fil-A is not welcome in their cities because of its opposition to gay marriage.

Bloomberg said on his weekly radio show on WOR that it is inappropriate for a government entity “to look at somebody’s political views and decide whether or not they can live in the city, or operate a business in the city, or work for somebody in the city.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nyc-mayor-disagrees-with-mayors-of-boston-chicago-san-francisco-in-chick-fil-a-debate/2012/07/27/gJQAtPMuDX_story.html

Bloomberg is an ass, but he is right here.

Quote:
Bloomberg said Menino, Emanuel and Lee are “really are good mayors” but “trampling on the freedom to marry whoever you want is exactly the same as trampling on your freedom to open a store.”

Richard Socarides, a New York lawyer and former Clinton White House adviser on gay rights who is urging a boycott of Chick-fil-A, said Bloomberg is right.

“Consumers can disagree with a company’s corporate political position and decide not to spend money there,” Socarides said. “But the city cannot regulate speech by denying someone a permit to operate their business just because

You CI seem to be very challenged here on figuring right from wrong.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 07:59 am
I went to the Boston Summer Arts Festival in Copley Square last night, and Tom Menino was there and got a big hand from the crowd. A mayor who calls it "A summeh ahts festival" KNOWS what his constituents want--he IS them--which is why he keeps getting re-elected. You're wicked pissah awesome, Menino. You suck, Chickfila.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You have things ass-backwards.
Fighting for equal rights is the American way.
Do u include in that,
the EQUAL right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in the streets, C. I. ???

cicerone imposter wrote:
We still struggle with equal rights,
because people like you don't have the understanding of what this country is all about.
Are YOU helping with the struggle
for equal rights to carry guns, as per the Bill of Rights, in public ???

Please tell us, C. I.

David
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:43 am
@hawkeye10,
How have I been challenged? That ChickfilA is a company run by a homophobic owner/management? That Billy Grapham is a homophobic bigot?

Under our Constitution, it declares "all men are created equal." How am I challenged?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:43 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday that despite his own support of same-sex marriage, he disagrees with some of his fellow mayors who have said that the fast-food chain Chick-fil-A is not welcome in their cities because of its opposition to gay marriage.

Bloomberg said on his weekly radio show on WOR that it is inappropriate for a government entity “to look at somebody’s political views and decide whether or not they can live in the city, or operate a business in the city, or work for somebody in the city.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nyc-mayor-disagrees-with-mayors-of-boston-chicago-san-francisco-in-chick-fil-a-debate/2012/07/27/gJQAtPMuDX_story.html

Bloomberg is an ass, but he is right here.

Quote:
Bloomberg said Menino, Emanuel and Lee are “really are good mayors” but “trampling on the freedom to marry whoever you want is exactly the same as trampling on your freedom to open a store.”

Richard Socarides, a New York lawyer and former Clinton White House adviser on gay rights who is urging a boycott of Chick-fil-A, said Bloomberg is right.

“Consumers can disagree with a company’s corporate political position and decide not to spend money there,” Socarides said. “But the city cannot regulate speech by denying someone a permit to operate their business just because

You CI seem to be very challenged here on figuring right from wrong.
I must say that when government was created,
it seems very unlikely that AUTHORITY was granted
to keep out of town anyone whose opinion
does not co-incide with its mayor.

If a different mayor gets elected,
then does HE also have the authority
to turn it around the other way, if he wants,
and get rid of commercial entities that disagree with HIM ?

Shud businessmen who choose to approach the city
need to fill out questionairs exposing their social, political n economic opinions ?
Does jurisdiction exist for that ?

I support the freedom of homosexuals to marry.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
How have I been challenged?
That ChickfilA is a company run by a homophobic owner/management?
That Billy Grapham is a homophobic bigot?

Under our Constitution, it declares "all men are created equal."
That is not what it says; u r confusing
the Constitution with Lincoln's Gettysberg address.

cicerone imposter wrote:
How am I challenged?
Mayors have no authority to shun, ostracize from the city, businessmen
because of their opinions.

I 'm surprized that the Mayor of Chicago is not more intelligent.
He chose a very losing argument (again).

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 09:05 am
David says
Quote:

I believe you are confusing the Declaration of Independence with the Gettysburg Address. Sheesh.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 09:18 am
@MontereyJack,
Why wouldn't they let Lincoln stay at the White House like all the other presidents?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 09:34 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

David says
Quote:

I believe you are confusing the Declaration of Independence with the Gettysburg Address. Sheesh.
OK. Lemme get this STRAIGHT:
Jack has chosen to DENY that Lincoln 's Gettysberg address says:

Abe Lincoln wrote:
" Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty,
and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. . . .".

"SHEESH", as Jack chooses to put it !

Of course, that assertion is ALSO
to be found in the Declaration of Independence,
which does not negate what I posted.

David