What would it take for you to vote for the other guy?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 04:15 pm
@ossobuco,
McGentrix, I generally like you.
I and others are not robots.
I have a personal bias. My father was in command of the plane that photo'd down the middle of the Baker bikini bomb test, some kind of first.
Even a wild woman on a2k, whom I usually disagreed with but sort of liked, who seemed to have some inside info, told me that was involving great exposure.
Take me as a bomb hater.

A candidate saying no war would make us a target.
A president doing no war would gain my appreciation.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
@McGentrix,
That's pretty insulting, to insist that anyone who's made up their mind is a mindless robot.

I seriously doubt there's anything that could convince me to vote for Romney. I'm convinced that he's a pandering, lying sleaze ball, who will say anything to anyone as long as it has a chance of increasing his vote count. He stands for winning the election, and that's it.

It's an impression that I've built up over months, not because I'm a mindless drone, but because I've actually paid attention to the issues and to what the candidates say. (Or don't say, in his case.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 04:56 pm
There are two separate elements to the question of "what would a candidate have to do to get my vote?" Policy changes or actions and character issues.

For Romney to get my vote, from a policy point of view, he would have to reverse his position on a huge variety of issues, to the one currently held by - or to the left of - Obama. This includes his position on taxation of the wealthy and the proper regulation of the financial sector. We're just so far apart in this area, I can't see him ever coming around to a position I could support. It would mean a repudiation of pretty much every past statement he's made on the subject.

And that would be a problem to, for the other reason: character issues. Romney is a liar, pure and simple. He has reversed his position on every single policy he's ever taken (other than the fact that the rich should pay no real taxes). How can you trust anything he ever says? I mean, it's not even an opinion of mine - he's on record saying completely contradictory things from year to year.

On top of that, the man made a business career exploiting legal loopholes, tax tricks, and busting out companies to enrich himself and his friends. It was deeply, deeply dishonorable behavior on his part, and a great example of the things that are wrong with our legal and financial system. I would have a very difficult time supporting such a man.

It has nothing to do with 'being a robot.'

Cycloptichorm
McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Now, was that so hard to do. I can't believe that you guys have no imagination and that your deep seated hatred, yes hatred, of Romney and all things Republican can not allow for some sliver of a reason why you couldn't vote for the opponent. I certainly had no problem with it. But, I have an imagination that allows my brain to see beyond the mundane political leanings of some folk.

He's not W for heavens sake. I would have thought there was some positive you could embrace, but I guess not.

As for not being robots... that remains to be seen. If you have no imagination and can only the terrible things in a political opponent... I'd say you are pretty close to staying within your programming.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

That's pretty insulting, to insist that anyone who's made up their mind is a mindless robot.

I seriously doubt there's anything that could convince me to vote for Romney. I'm convinced that he's a pandering, lying sleaze ball, who will say anything to anyone as long as it has a chance of increasing his vote count. He stands for winning the election, and that's it.

It's an impression that I've built up over months, not because I'm a mindless drone, but because I've actually paid attention to the issues and to what the candidates say. (Or don't say, in his case.)

See you missed the entire point. It zoomed right over your head like Superman. You didn't even get a chance to see the point as you are so mired in the dung you shovel. Insulting? Good.

I don't give a crap about what your convinced of, do you really think I don't already know? Drewdad likes Obama and doesn't like Romney. Duh.

If there was absolutely nothing that could change your mind, then you are a robot. Steadfast in your journey, unable to even imagine a situation where you might possibly change your mind... This wasn't a test. It was a discussion a topic I found interesting. If you didn't want to participate, then you shouldn't have. But, I fear your programming wouldn't have allowed that.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:34 pm
He would need to abandon his support for traditional Republican programs and positions, end his subservience to Wall Street interests, and adopt a foreign policy that ends the pointless intervention in Afghanistan and respects human rights throughout the world. If he did all that, I might consider voting for Obama.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:50 pm
I don't react to most Republicans with hatred, but with alarm. It's an act of self defense to stand against them.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wish I could find a picture of a robot giving the middle finger signal so Mc Gen would know how I felt about his robot comment.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:35 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'm thinking about leaving the presidential vote blank this year; let the "majority" select their own poison.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:03 pm
@McGentrix,
Your point is like Superman?

Narcissistic, much?

I somehow doubt you will find anything to shake my convictions in regard to gravitation, either.

Doesn't make me a robot, it just makes me someone who looked at the evidence, considered it, and made up my mind.

Kinda like how I've made up my mind that you're an ass. You might convince me otherwise, but it will take a long track record, and I don't think you'll ever manage it.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 10:10 pm
@RABEL222,
Google image search is your friend....

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cutcaster-photo-801019013-Robot-middle-finger-gesture.jpg

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/143503/98591414/stock-photo-robot-hand-showing-middle-finger-98591414.jpg
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 12:03 am
I think we have in fact answered your question of what it would take to make us vote for Romney. All he has to do is clone the Democratic platform. That should be easy for him--for years he's changed his views 180 degrees daily.

I, however, am more venal. $750,000 under an alias only I have access to, in a Cayman Islands tax shelter would do the job nicely. Ask Mitt, he knows how to set those up.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:00 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Your point is like Superman?

Narcissistic, much?

I somehow doubt you will find anything to shake my convictions in regard to gravitation, either.

Doesn't make me a robot, it just makes me someone who looked at the evidence, considered it, and made up my mind.

Kinda like how I've made up my mind that you're an ass. You might convince me otherwise, but it will take a long track record, and I don't think you'll ever manage it.

It's funny because you still don't get it. Are you this stupid in real life or just an act for A2K.
vishal1234

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:14 am
@ossobuco,
What would it take for you to vote for Romney? (Or Obama for the 3-4 others here planning to not vote for him...)
vishal1234

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:14 am
@ossobuco,
nd if you're wondering why I can support a Gary Johnson (or McCain in the 2000 primaries) but not Romney in 2012 it's because I know what Johnson stands for. It's too late for Romney to convince me that he's anything but an empty suit.
vishal1234

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:16 am
@JPB,
I'm planning on voting for Gary Johnson on the Libertarian ticket. I don't live in a swing state. IL will go to Obama. My vote here is irrelevant. In order for me to vote for Obama the polls would have to show a serious risk of losing IL to Romney. In order for me to vote for Romney, hell has already frozen over.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:55 am
@McGentrix,
Lulz. You're one to talk.

The conservative blog-o-sphere is awash in glee because Obama gives a speech where the pronoun can be misinterpreted, and then you trot along here and start a poutrage thread about it.

And we're the robots?
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:06 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
A commitment to the following issues:

- The environment
- Alternative energy sources/ reducing dependence on oil
- Abortion rights
- Improving the prestige + pay + training for teachers (more support, more reasons for skilled people to become teachers)
- Improving educational opportunities for all kids
- Increasing taxes on the wealthiest (over $250,000)
- Gay rights
- Increasing governmental oversight (banks, etc.)
- Increasing governmental efficiency
- Reducing the deficit
- Health care

An avoidance of:

- Saber-rattling (especially re: Iran)
- Pandering to the loonies, whether they're on the left or right

An excellent list. I'm impressed. I doubt you'll see any change on any of those issues.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:12 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
*WE ARE ONLY PROGRAMMED TO OBEY* *WE MUST HEED OUR OVERLORDS AND DO WHAT THEY SAY WE MUST DO* *I HAVE NO IMAGINATION* *MY MIND ONLY HAS ONE TRACK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE RAILS*

I thought you wanted to avoid a 'discussion' .

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:17 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
It's funny because you still don't get it. Are you this stupid in real life or just an act for A2K.

What's funny is how easily you reverted to the exact behavior you said you didn't want in the beginning of this thread.