What would it take for you to vote for the other guy?

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:05 pm
aawww... I was hoping against hope for an actual conversation. Thanks those that played nicely.
Mame

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:17 pm
@McGentrix,
A lobotomy.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:23 pm
@sozobe,
Good one Soz
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
@McGentrix,
Good one Mac
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:25 pm
@parados,
Good one Par
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good one Ed
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:35 pm
I'll amend my earlier comments. Even if Romney promised this I wouldn't believe him, but he could get my vote if he convinced me he would:

- Revert to the Clinton tax rates
- Go neutral on gay marriage (I support gay marriage but could not reasonably expect a Republican candidate to do the same.)
- Supported the McCain/Bush immigration reform.
- Go neutral on Healthcare Reform (thereby allowing the existing law to take effect).
- Advocate ending the war in Afganistan (although no requirement it be immediately) and closing Gitmo (sooner rather than later.)
- Truly consider drawing down the military to save money.

I do not need to see his taxes. (I'm sure they were legally filed and that he paid as little as possible as is his right.)
dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
@engineer,
Good one Eng—pretty much anyhow
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

An error in the voting booth - that's about it.

Cycloptichorn

So, you can't foresee any possible way you could vote for Romney?

What if Obama declared martial law, allowed a large Mexican army to take over Texas and made a deal with China that effectively made them a defacto govt of America?

Not even then could you vote for Romney?
JPB

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:17 pm
@McGentrix,
If Obama did any or all of those things I think Johnson would stand a pretty good chance of winning! There is a third option on the ballot.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:17 pm
I would still say a lobotomy, because of a continuing view of mine, that you make a judgement on a cell in a laboratory slide, or a person running for president, re the company they keep. Thus a blast with lymphocytes around it is a lymphoblast (and so on). I don't blame a person for one bizarre pastor or entirely for business acumen re money accumulation - I am more interested in the whole package.

I have qualms about Obama (his views seem or are to the right of mine), and I don't find Romney as un-understandable as some other Republicans.
I think in the next few months Romney will turn more to my views, but still mess up by clinging to his apparent base.

If he actually did what other posters suggest might make them tune in, this could be an interesting contest. But then it would look like he is a feather in the wind.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:29 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

An error in the voting booth - that's about it.

Cycloptichorn

So, you can't foresee any possible way you could vote for Romney?

What if Obama declared martial law, allowed a large Mexican army to take over Texas and made a deal with China that effectively made them a defacto govt of America?

Not even then could you vote for Romney?

Nope - under your scenario, we wouldn't be holding a vote, so I would be spared the indignity of having to do so. The part about the large Mexican army is amusing, though - an army of what, exactly? I'm pretty sure the Texas national guard could defeat Mexico's current army all by themselves.

I think someone made a trenchant comment earlier, when they pointed out the fact that Romney isn't going to do any of the things you say you'd want Obama to do, either. But, I know you like Romney and the GOP party line slightly better, so I understand why you'd vote for him anyway. Surely you can understand why those of us who generally agree with the Dems are highly, highly unlikely to vote for Romney, even if he did do a couple of moderate-sounding things.

Cycloptichorn
Mame

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Ha, didn't see that you already said that Smile funny!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:32 pm
@Mame,
Great minds, as they say.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:35 pm
@JPB,
True. I don't know everything about Johnson, but I presently like him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Nope - under your scenario, we wouldn't be holding a vote, so I would be spared the indignity of having to do so. The part about the large Mexican army is amusing, though - an army of what, exactly? I'm pretty sure the Texas national guard could defeat Mexico's current army all by themselves.

I think someone made a trenchant comment earlier, when they pointed out the fact that Romney isn't going to do any of the things you say you'd want Obama to do, either. But, I know you like Romney and the GOP party line slightly better, so I understand why you'd vote for him anyway. Surely you can understand why those of us who generally agree with the Dems are highly, highly unlikely to vote for Romney, even if he did do a couple of moderate-sounding things.

Cycloptichorn

The point of the discussion I started was what would it take... If you can not possibly imagine a scenario, then why bother posting? Not much of a discussion when you guys can't use your imagination to think of what it would take to for Obama to lose your vote or for Romney to gain your vote. May as well be robots.

*WE ARE ONLY PROGRAMMED TO OBEY* *WE MUST HEED OUR OVERLORDS AND DO WHAT THEY SAY WE MUST DO* *I HAVE NO IMAGINATION* *MY MIND ONLY HAS ONE TRACK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE RAILS*

*sigh*
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:53 pm
@McGentrix,
We answered.

If I changed my vote, it would be to Johnson, not presently likely but not impossible.

I am not a robot. Why are you insulting us who differ with you?

Screaming is tacky.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

We answered.

If I changed my vote, it would be to Johnson, not presently likely but not impossible.

I am not a robot. Why are you insulting us who differ with you?

Screaming is tacky.

Really?
Do you have a better font for imitating a robot voice? I'd gladly choose it.

You are not "we". If you participated, and I did thank those that had, why would you take a comment not based towards you and take offense at it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I happen to despise drones. I get it they are relatively efficient.
Drones will proliferate.
Obama is ok with them.

What are Romney's and Johnson's takes on drones?

My primary stance is anti bomb and my revulsion is only political by what I observe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 04:01 pm
@McGentrix,
This was just after I said something about a lobotomy.
Amusingly, Mame said the same a bit later.