Can't Smoke In Your Own Home-Too Far or Greater Good?

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:22 am
Residents of the city of Santa Monica, CA are not allowed to smoke in their home if they are new residents in an apartment or condo.
Other apartment or condo residents may continue to smoke, but must designate that their home is a smoker's residence.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:30 am
@nqyringmind,
Overkill and sort of ridiculous.

Most of these anti-smoking laws send the smokers outside where they are more likely to spread the smoke to others than if they were in the confines of their own home.

In New York City, no office smoking means smokers need to take a smokers break and they then stand in front of the office building. No smoking in bars has created major headaches and respiratory woes for the people who rented or bought their residence before the law came in as the patrons run in and out of bars and various eateries, puff away, the plumes of smoke wafting gently upwards to the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and higher floors unless they always keep their windows shut and sealed. People walking along have to navigate through these clouds of patron smoke and often with rather testy patrons. There are also often dozens upon dozens of cigarette butts littering the sidewalk where before these laws, the walkways were usually quite clean (or at least less ash laden).
dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:49 am
@nqyringmind,
Quote:
Too Far or Greater Good?
The latter. After all in a rental unit the probability of a subsequent non-smoking tenant is very persusaive
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:58 am
@nqyringmind,
If children are residents in said home then I agree with the ban in its entirety. We are talking about tobacco based cigarettes right?
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:03 am
A couple of years ago, I went to So. California to visit a cousin who had relocated there and when we got to her apartment building there were all these people sitting outside their apartment doors, smoking and reading. I was impressed by their considerate natures and said so to my cousin. She just laughed and said, "It's the law!" LOL.
0 Replies

Isabela

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 12:35 pm
@nqyringmind,
its very perfect and good law. why dont we have this much awareness. we should appy this law in our homes too to keep good health.
roger

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 12:48 pm
@Isabela,
It's not a law; it's a condition of lease.

If it were law, how would it be enforced? I suppose we should expect random home invasions from a special unit of the State Police.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:12 pm
@roger,
open up ma'am , it's the smoking police...
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
We are talking about tobacco based cigarettes right?

Yes.
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:40 pm
@roger,
It's a law.

Enforcement will come via neighbors, landlords, HOA's ...etc
dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:01 pm
@roger,
Quote:
If it were law, how would it be enforced?
I’d suppose the landlord would be authorized to snitch
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:06 pm
If it's a condition of the lease it's fine, but if it's a law it's going way too far.

Many of the people who support such a law also would like to see people allowed to smoke pot in the privacy of their homes. I happen to agree with them on pot, but it's ridiculous to draw a distinction between smoking pot and smoking cigarettes.

Just as the folks who tend towards supporting the Nanny State's imposition supposed anti-obesity laws also tend to oppose prohibiting food stamp recipients from using their cards to obtain cash.

It all depends on what point of view they've been told is cool.

As for the folks who are fairly consistent in their desire to have the government stick it's nose in everything we do, I would prefer it if they would stop encouraging tyranny and stick to self-policing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@dalehileman,
Snitches, you mean.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 03:44 pm
Is it a law or not?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:03 pm
Isn't it already a law in some states to not smoke with kids in your car?

Sadly, I'm a smoker who has quit many times, and I know what it smells like to non-smokers and it truly is disgusting. I have no problem going outside to smoke and no, I don't stand right outside the doors. In fact, when I'm working, I rarely take a break anyway. I also never rent smoking rooms in hotels because the smell is nauseating. However, at some point, things get ridiculous. There has got to be some reasonability here. In Prince George, you can't even smoke on the airport parking lot! There are people walking around handing out fines, for Pete's sake. That's too ridiculous to me. And I don't know why all the airports have banned those smoking rooms - they are enclosed, they have fans, and they're not hurting the general public.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:15 pm
@Mame,
I added to an old thread since I couldn't find this one at the time - so,

more pish to the broth:

http://able2know.org/topic/161501-1
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:17 pm
@nqyringmind,
Don't get me started.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:50 pm
@nqyringmind,
I posted in another thread when I owned my condo in CA the HOA passed a rule the smokers couldn’t smoke on their own patios because the smoke would go into peoples windows.

When we bought the house next door and the property management company took it over one of the conditions when they leased it was no smoking inside. The two women who live there are out back on the deck smoking every evening.

We really have no idea if they actually are smoking inside though.
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:10 pm
@jcboy,
If you were standing at their front door when they opened it, you'd know in a heartbeat.
jcboy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:16 pm
@Irishk,
Oh I would. I’m allergic to cigarette smoke.

We never go over there, they don’t even know we own the house. We got off on bad terms because they hate our dogs. They complained the first week because our big dog Frankie terrorizes their little dog through the fence.
0 Replies