Those Of You Crying About Having A Tax Hike To Pay For "Obamacare"

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:18 am
don't seem to realize that those of us who support it don't mind paying alittle extra and we sympathize with you having to pay more just as much as you sympathize with those who don't have healthcare. Have a nice day. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 4,949 • Replies: 69

RABEL222

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:24 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Every conservative wants something for nothing. But they want every one else to pay for it.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:28 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Enjoy it while it lasts, fool, it'll all be gone by the end of January next year.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:31 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Enjoy it while it lasts, fool, it'll all be gone by the end of January next year.

Exactly how do you think this is going to happen? It isn't like it could be instantly repealed by the GOP, even if they win the presidency. Not only that, but your own caucus is going super squish and talking about keeping certain parts of it.

Face it - you're fucked.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:37 am
Gunga apparently believes Romney when he says he'll repeal "Obamacare" his first day in office. Tells you a lot about what an ignorant **** he is. No one wants to hear the truth though.
In fairness, this is like when Obama said he'd bring the troops home from Iraq within months and Hillary said it would take that long just to pack. People hear what they want to hear.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:23 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

as much as you sympathize with those who don't have healthcare. Have a nice day. Laughing

Let's not place good intentions where there aren't any good intentions. Those conservatives who are complaining about Obamacare and the possibility of socialized medicine (which Obamacare technically ISN'T) HOLD NO SYMPATHIES towards persons and groups who don't have healthcare. On the surface their complaints are against the additional taxation as well as the enlarging of the federal government's power over the state but to shed light on their real concerns: there are undercurrents of racism, classism, and the conservative's unadulterated fetishism for corporations making everincreasing profits at all costs necessary (and by this I mean the ability of top corporate executives to funnel as many millions of dollars from a corporation into their own personal bank accounts AKA legalized embezzling at the cost of the consumer as well as the general stockholders as well).
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:57 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

blueveinedthrobber wrote:

as much as you sympathize with those who don't have healthcare. Have a nice day. Laughing

Let's not place good intentions where there aren't any good intentions. Those conservatives who are complaining about Obamacare and the possibility of socialized medicine (which Obamacare technically ISN'T) HOLD NO SYMPATHIES towards persons and groups who don't have healthcare. On the surface their complaints are against the additional taxation as well as the enlarging of the federal government's power over the state but to shed light on their real concerns: there are undercurrents of racism, classism, and the conservative's unadulterated fetishism for corporations making everincreasing profits at all costs necessary (and by this I mean the ability of top corporate
executives to funnel as many millions of dollars from a corporation into their own personal bank accounts AKA legalized embezzling at the cost of the consumer as well as the general stockholders as well).

my point exactly. Mr. Green
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 12:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Let's not place good intentions where there aren't any good intentions. Those conservatives who are complaining about Obamacare and the possibility of socialized medicine (which Obamacare technically ISN'T) HOLD NO SYMPATHIES towards persons and groups who don't have healthcare. On the surface their complaints are against the additional taxation...
I don't go by labels and for years I felt and still do that everyone should have healthcare. I've also talked to so many people who are willing to pay more taxes to make it happen. No sympathy? Seriously who wants to see people suffer because they are afraid to go to a doctor because they can't pay the bill? If they can't pay for a doctor, how can they pay for health insurance?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:08 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
It's always funny when people who don't make a lot of money and therefore don't actually pay a lot of taxes already say they don't mind paying a little bit more.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:23 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

It's always funny when people who don't make a lot of money and therefore don't actually pay a lot of taxes already say they don't mind paying a little bit more.

I have made shitloads of money in my life.... paid shitloads of taxes.... and am getting back into the groove again...for which I'll pay taxes. Nice try on the shitty remark though,dickhead
revelette

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

How do you know those who are saying they don't mind paying more taxes, don't make a lot of money?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:27 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I'm a little slower at posting I guess. But that was a sweeping assumption for McGentrix to make.
sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:29 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I haven't actually completely figured out the tax hike part -- whether there will be any tax hikes for most people at all.

As far as I can tell, there are two parts:

1.) If you don't have health insurance and refuse to buy any, then you have to pay a fine. That's being considered a tax. However it only applies to people who don't have health insurance and refuse to get any, which isn't that many people, percentage-wise.

2.) If you make over $250,000 year (married filing jointly, $200,000 if single), there is an increase on what you have to pay for Medicaid taxes -- from 2.9 % to 3.8%. Right now employers pay half of the 2.9%, I'm not sure how the additional .9% will be apportioned.

So, basically, if you make under $200,000 a year if you're single or under $250,000 a year if you're married, and if you have health insurance now, nothing will change for you. No new taxes.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:30 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

I'm a little slower at posting I guess. But that was a sweeping assumption for McGentrix to make.

You didn't read the opening post then? Talk about sweeping assumptions... If bear's brush were any broader, he'd have painted the universe in one stroke.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:37 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

It's even funnier when people who do have lots of money but who don't actually pay a lot of taxes say that they're being overtaxed.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 02:04 pm
The main problem in this picture is that Obungacare does not even address the real problems we have with medicine.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 02:32 pm
Which are what? Before problems in health care are addressed we have to have a law. We now have one, let us improve it so it covers all of us rather than only millionares.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 02:38 pm
The country does need medical reform, but not Obungacare.

The size of obungacare indicates to me that it is about power and not about health care. Likewise Mark Steyn notes that the job of director or head of public health has become the biggest govt. job in European countries which have public health care i.e. it would be a step upwards from PM or President or King or Grand Duke or anything else to head of health care. In other words, European health care is ultimate bureaucracy. If I had the power to I would institute a sort of a basic health care reform which would be overwhelmingly simple and which would resemble the thing we're reading about in no way, shape, or manner. Key points would be:

1. Elimination of lawsuits against doctors and other medical providers. There would be a general fund to compensate victims of malpractice for actual damage and a non-inbred system for weeding out those guilty of malpractice. The non-inbred system would be a tribunal composed not just of oher doctors, but of plumbers, electricians, engineers, and everybody else as well.

2. Elimination of the artificial exclusivity of the medical system. In other words our medical schools could easily produce two or three times the number of doctors they do with no noticeable drop off in quality.

3. Elimination of the factors which drive the cost of medicines towards unaffordability. That would include both lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies and government agencies which force costs into the billions to develop any new drug. There should be no suing a pharmaceutical for any drug which has passed FDA approval and somewhere between thalidamide and what we have now, there should be a happy medium.

4. Elimination of the outmoded WW-II notion of triage in favor of a system which took some rational account of who pays for the system and who doesn't. The horror stories I keep reading about the middle-class guy with an injured child having to fill out forms for three hours while an endless procession of illegal immigrants just walks in and are seen, would end, as would any possibility of that child waiting three hours for treatment while people were being seen for heroin overdoses or other lifestyle issues.

All of those things would fall under the heading of what TR called "trust busting". There would also be some system for caring the truly indigent, but the need and cost would be far less than at present.

By far the biggest item is that first one. I don't know the exact numbers but if you add every cost involved in our present out-of-control lawyering, it has to be a major fraction if not more than half of our medical costs. The trial lawyers' guild being one of the two major pillars of financial support for the democrat party is the basic reason nobody is saying anything about that part of the problem.

Other than that, you almost have to have seen some of the problems close up to have any sort of a feel for them.

Item 1, this is what I saw in grad school some time ago, although I do not have any reason to think much has changed. In the school I attended, there appeared to be sixty or seventy first year med students walking around and all but one or two of them would have made perfectly good doctors, they were all very bright and highly motivated. The only way the school should have lost any of those kids was either they discovered they couldn't deal with the sight of blood in real life or six months later they changed their minds and went off to Hollywood to become actors or actresses; the school should never have lost more than ten percent of them. But they knew from day one that they were keeping 35% of that class.

That system says that you know several thins about the guy working on your body: You know he's a survivor, and that's highly unlikely to be from being better qualified than 65% of the other students; You know he hasn't had enough sleep (he's doing his work and the work of that missing 65%); You know he's probably doing some sort of drugs to deal with the lack of sleep... One of my first steps as "health Tsar" or whatever would be to tell the medical schools that henceforth if they ever drop more than15% of an incoming class, they'll lose their accreditation.

Item 2. My father walks into a pharmacy in Switzerland with a bottle of pills he normally pays $50 for in Fla. and asks the pharmacist if he can fill it. "Why certainly sir!", fills the bottle of pills and says "That will be $3.50." Seeing that my father was standing there in a state of shock, the man says "Gee, I'm sorry, Mr. Snake, you see, we have socialized medicine in Switzerland and if you were a Swiss citizen and paid into the systemn, why I could sell you this bottle of pills for $1.50 but, since you're foreign and do not pay into the system I have to charge you the full price, certainly you can appreciate that."

The guy thought my father was in shock because he was charging him too MUCH... Clearly whatever needs to be done with drugs in the U.S.amounts to trust busting, and not extracting more money from the American people.

Item 3. A caller to the Chris Plant show (D.C./WMAL) the other morning, an ER nurse, noted that much of the costs which her hospital had to absorb, as do most hospitals, was the problem of people with no resources using the ER as their first and only point of contact to the medical profession. She said that there were gang members who were constantly coming in for repairs from bullet holes and knife damage and drug problems, that they could not legally turn any of those people away, and that there was zero possibility of ever collecting any money from any of them, and that the costs of that were gigantic.

Clearly throwing money at that problems is not going to help anything either. Again if I'm the "Medicine Tsar", those guys would be cared for, but not at the ER; they would not be first in line and they would not be talking about premium treatment. Mostly they'd be dealing with medical students who needed the practice patching up knife and bullet damage, drug damage, lifestyle damage including perverted sex problems like blue balls (the "blue-veined throbbing problem"), and whatever else ails vermin.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 02:54 pm
Obunga...rhymes with gunga.... I knew Gunga had a crush on Obama. You old queen you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 02:35 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

What's funnier is people that assume they pay more taxes than anyone else that volunteers they would pay more.

The problem I have McG is people like you that don't want to pay your share but instead want others to pay more than you do.