mysteryman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 12:43 pm
@parados,
And why should any candidate be required to release their tax records?
Its none of my business or yours how much a candidate has earned, or anything else about their financial status.
would you be willing, as a private citizen, to release all of your tax records for the last 20 years for public inspection?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 12:52 pm
@mysteryman,
Why not?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 12:55 pm
@mysteryman,
Once you run for public office, you open your life - and finances - to the public.

You want to be trusted to be responsible for a nation - I think it's reasonable to open your books.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:15 pm
@mysteryman,
When you are putting the welfare of a whole nation (including setting budgetary priorities) in the hands of a man, IMHO, of course I want to know what he does with his money. Especially when and if he parks his wealth offshore to avoid taxes. Why wouldn't someone who is such a rich man want to help to contribute as much as he can to the tax base? Just as his personal and business ethics are important to know as President, so is his accountability, as well.

FWIW, I feel that CEOs and officers of corporations are supposed to have this sort of scrutiny and financial accountability, too. Whether they do in reality is dubious.

Now, in a different area, I could care less with whom he sleeps.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Over here Uk Uncut has highlighted tax avoidance, and pointed out that what the rich have avoided is roughly the same as the deficit. Following a spat between the two London Mayoral candidates all politicians are coming under pressure to declare their tax records.

Quote:
David Cameron is prepared to publish details of his tax returns after agreeing with George Osborne that the most senior members of the cabinet should be open about their financial affairs.

The prime minister is said to be relaxed and happy with the idea of publishing his tax returns, following the example set last week by Boris Johnson, the mayor of London.

It is understood Cameron and Osborne have agreed that the most senior office holders in the cabinet should make an open declaration after the local elections on 3 May.

Nick Clegg and Vince Cable have indicated they would be happy to publish their tax affairs. It is not clear whether William Hague, who earned a tidy sum as a writer and speaker before the election, would be prepared to follow their example. As foreign secretary, he could be covered by the Cameron-Osborne agreement that the cabinet's most senior office holders should be transparent.

Theresa May, the home secretary, could also be covered.

The prime minister is understood to have discussed the matter with Osborne before the chancellor's remarks in the Daily Telegraph on Saturday in which he indicated that he would be prepared to publish his tax affairs.

Labour called on Osborne to be more transparent after he said last month that he would not be affected personally by the cut in the top rate of income tax from 50p to 45p.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/11/david-cameron-publish-tax-return
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:34 pm
@Ragman,
You do realize that congress controls the purse, not the president.
The president can propose all he wants, but congress decides what money gets spent on what.

Have you demanded to see the tax records of you senator or your rep in congress?
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:13 pm
Of course when Congress is the President's lapdogs..... (see 2001--2008).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:45 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

What do you say, McG? See the difference?

Difference in what?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:09 pm
@mysteryman,
or their long form birth certificates, eh...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:10 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Now, in a different area, I could care less with whom he sleeps.

Did anyone fail to understand what Ragman meant? I sure didn't.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:31 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Its none of my business or yours how much a candidate has earned, or anything else about their financial status.

It absolutely is our business. They are running to be a public SERVANT. We have the right to know whether or not they have investments that would compromise their ability to make fair and unbiased judgements when it comes to regulating the business world.

Not only that, but there are two elements to the equation: legal and moral. It may be legal to pay a bunch of accountants to find ways to manipulate your taxes so you pay almost nothing in tax, while earning many millions a year, but it isn't moral to do so.

Quote:
would you be willing, as a private citizen, to release all of your tax records for the last 20 years for public inspection?

Sure thing. What, are people going to learn I don't have ****? So what? I'll tell ya that for free.

Only someone who had something to hide wouldn't want those returned. Romney isn't going to be able to run away from this one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:42 pm
@mysteryman,
Considering the discrepancies between what he's told folks about his involvement with Bain and his filings, I think it could be enlightening for him to reveal his tax records.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Please try to read along, McG...

You wrote:

Quote:
He has released all the tx records he is required to. Please don't tell me guys are going to become the new birthers demanding Romneys records.
Remember defending Obama and his birth certificate? Surely you do.

Parados wrote:

Quote:
Let's look at the differences.
Every Presidential candidate since the 70s has released 10 years or more of tax records. Romney will only release 1 year and has let the press view but not make copies of 1 more year. So... Romney is the one that hasn't met the standard of any previous Presidential candidate.

Obama is the ONLY Presidential candidate that released his birth certificate and on numerous occasions. Including having state officials verify that it was the correct one.

One can hardly compare a candidate that is substantially MORE forthcoming to one that is substantially LESS and claim that they are the same thing.

Those differences, McG.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
@mysteryman,
Of course I do.
President proposes
Congress disposes (of legislation)
Quote:
Have you demanded to see the tax records of you senator or your rep in congress?

I feel that all members of Congres should make such records available but I'm not holding my breath expecting they will. Each year that's gone by over the last 25 or so years, Congress has become less accountable, less competent and has less backbone. And it's not like they were all that accountable before.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:11 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Please try to read along, McG...

You wrote:

Quote:
He has released all the tx records he is required to. Please don't tell me guys are going to become the new birthers demanding Romneys records.
Remember defending Obama and his birth certificate? Surely you do.

Parados wrote:

Quote:
Let's look at the differences.
Every Presidential candidate since the 70s has released 10 years or more of tax records. Romney will only release 1 year and has let the press view but not make copies of 1 more year. So... Romney is the one that hasn't met the standard of any previous Presidential candidate.

Obama is the ONLY Presidential candidate that released his birth certificate and on numerous occasions. Including having state officials verify that it was the correct one.

One can hardly compare a candidate that is substantially MORE forthcoming to one that is substantially LESS and claim that they are the same thing.

Those differences, McG.

Ah, I see. I don't read or respond to Parados' posts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:15 pm
This was interesting.

Presidential Tax Returns
Quote:
Individual income tax returns — including those of public figures — are private information, protected by law from unauthorized disclosure. Indeed, the Internal Revenue Service is barred from releasing any taxpayer information whatsoever, except to authorized agencies and individuals.
Like all other citizens, U.S. presidents enjoy this protection of their privacy. Since the early 1970s, however, most presidents have chosen to release their returns publicly. In the hope of making this information more widely available, the Tax History Project at Tax Analysts has compiled an archive of presidential tax returns.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:46 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated solely to discussing Romney's candidacy, pro & con....

To start things off, here's an article about him refusing to state his position on repealing the immigration policy Obama just enacted - I think it is a good example of Romney's spinelessness:

“But would you repealed (sic) this?” Schieffer pressed.

“Well, it would be overtaken by events, if you will, by virtue of my putting in place a long-term solution with legislation that creates law that relates to these individuals such that they no what their setting is going to be,” Romney explained.

“I don’t want keep on about this, but just to make sure I understand, would you leave this in place while you work out a long-term solution or would you just repeal it?” the CBS host asked again.

“We’ll look at that setting as we reach that,” Romney insisted...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/17/romney-refuses-to-say-if-he-would-undo-obamas-immigration-policy/

According to Norquist, who expects nothing from Romney, except being able tto write his name on bills -- whether he's smart or not doesn't matter.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:59 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

This was interesting.

Yes, I do find it interesting that it has become customary for presidential candidates to release their tax returns and I wonder why Romney is bucking this trend.
parados

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 07:04 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:

A good question.

But here's a better question.

Why would you not release your tax records when your opponent has done so?

This is about trusting the person you are voting for. Who ultimately would you trust? Someone that shows you his secrets or someone that keeps them?
DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 07:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Mitt Romney adviser Ed Gillespie said Sunday that the candidate "retired retroactively" from his job at Bain Capital, which Romney maintains that he left in 1999 despite evidence suggesting he remained involved with the company until 2002.