mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
Combat pay is not taxed, that's true.
However, a soldiers base pay is taxed at whatever the applicable rate is.

So, this picture claiming that the soldier pays no income tax is a blatant lie on your part, and on the part of whoever made it up.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:29 am
@mysteryman,
oh really?

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/taxes/a/taxreliefact.htm

that is exactly what Mr. Romney complained about

and what do I find on page after page here?

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/taxes/l/blstatetax.htm

(from the first 8 pages I looked at, randomly picked between Alaska and Tennessee)

Quote:
Military retired pay is not taxed.

Quote:
Military retired pay and SBP benefits are not taxed.

Quote:
No state tax. Legal residents may be eligible for a fund dividend.

Quote:
Military members who are legal residents can exclude up to $6,000 of military pay or allowance.

Quote:
Military retired pay and SBP benefits are not taxed.

Quote:
Effective for taxable years beginning after Dec. 31, 2007, military retired pay from the active or reserve components of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and the National Guard, and SBP benefits are exempt from state income tax and school district income tax.

Quote:
No state income tax.

~~

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/allhands/bltaxes.htm

Quote:
Although several states impose no personal income tax, or exempt military pay, you may still have to file a return for record purposes even though you may not owe tax. Filing a return also shows intent to retain legal residence in that state, thus protecting yourself against claims by other states.

on the federal side

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/moneymatters/a/2003taxguide1.htm

Quote:
Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. As a member of the Armed Forces, you may be able to defer (delay) payment of income tax that becomes due before or during your military service for up to 180 days after termination or release from service. For more information, see Not in a combat zone under Extension of Deadline.

given the rate of redeployment, this leaves a pile of active service military not paying federal or state taxes

Quote:
Mitt Romney said 47% of Americans would almost automatically vote for President Barack Obama because they were “dependent” on the government, in part because they received government benefits and paid no federal income taxes.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/09/18/the-data-behind-romneys-47-comments/

Quote:
The basic exemptions for very low-income people have been around for a while and are pretty non-controversial. Many of the breaks that benefit the elderly also have been supported by members of both parties, who realize older Americans are among the most consistent voters. Breaks for military personnel – such as the exemption for combat pay – also are widely popular.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:29 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Combat pay is not taxed, that's true.
However, a soldiers base pay is taxed at whatever the applicable rate is.

So, this picture claiming that the soldier pays no income tax is a blatant lie on your part, and on the part of whoever made it up.

the only thing I can imagine is that you must have paid taxes that you weren't required to.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:41 am
@mysteryman,
Sorry, it's not a lie. Taxable income is not taxed until it reaches a certain threshold and military pay is not all that much. An e-4 with five years in is making taxable $27.2K. If he has a spouse and a couple of kids, he has no federal tax liability. His standard exemption is $11,900, his personal exemptions add up to $15,200 and the tax he owes on the remaining $100 is erased by the $2000 tax credit he gets for having two children. The end result it that this hardworking military member is one of Romney's delinquents who is in the bag for Obama and who he will never convince to take responsibility for himself.
snood

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:57 am
@mysteryman,
Oh, you are ignoring quite a bit.

Compare the anecdotal, piddly nickel and dime examples of fraud you can sift around and find, with the wholesale onslaught that the GOP is mounting to subvert Dem voters, and it becomes clear that you are ignoring the forest to proclaim about the trees...

From a 2012 report by the Brennan Center for Justice:

These new restrictions fall most heavily on young, minority, and low-income voters, as well as on voters with disabilities. This wave of changes may sharply tilt the political terrain for the 2012 election. Based on the Brennan Center’s analysis of the 19 laws and two executive actions that passed in 14 states, it is clear that:

•These new laws could make it significantly harder for more than five million eligible voters to cast ballots in 2012.1

• The states that have already cut back on voting rights will provide 171 electoral votes in 2012–
63 percent of the 270 needed to win the presidency.

• Of the 12 likely battleground states, as assessed by an August Los Angeles Times analysis of Gallup polling, five have already cut back on voting rights (and may pass additional restrictive legislation), and two more are currently considering new restrictions.2

http://brennan.3cdn.net/92635ddafbc09e8d88_i3m6bjdeh.pdf

...and oh, those "young, minority, and low-income voters, as well as on voters with disabilities" that the new restrictions will impact? It just so happens that they vote overwhelmingly Democratic.
engineer

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 12:27 pm
@engineer,
I did a back of the envelope calculation and someone needs me to make over $40,000 in taxable income to pay federal taxes for a family of four. The median household income in the US is around $50k, so you can see how so few have federal tax liability even though they pay many other taxes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 12:31 pm
@snood,
You wrote to which I agree,
Quote:
...and oh, those "young, minority, and low-income voters, as well as on voters with disabilities" that the new restrictions will impact? It just so happens that they vote overwhelmingly Democratic.

The biggest problem for me are all those conservatives who are not even concerned with this unethical, democratic issue by their silence.

Where's John McCain?

It'll be too late if they don't speak up now!

Another observation: Are sports fans in agreement with what the GOP is doing, or is cheating acceptable to them?

Is sports more important than politics?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 12:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Interesting article.

Quote:
JERUSALEM (AP) — It is a taboo for Israeli leaders to give even the slightest hint of favoritism in politics in the United States, Israel's closest ally. So some Israelis are squirming over a perception that their prime minister is siding with Republican Mitt Romney in the U.S. presidential race, in the belief he will take a harder line on archenemy Iran if elected.
With President Barack Obama holding a narrow lead in opinion polls, Benjamin Netanyahu's perceived strategy looks risky to Israelis who fear their alliance with the U.S. could be in trouble if the incumbent wins.
"If our prime minister doesn't get along with their leader, it will hurt our relations," said Shai Hugi, 20, a car rental clerk in Jerusalem. "The United States is Israel's best ally, and it's always good that you have a strong friend behind you."
Netanyahu, convinced that Iran is close to developing nuclear weapons, says Tehran must be stopped. Claiming international diplomatic efforts and economic sanctions have failed, Netanyahu says the threat of force must be seriously considered. He has urged Obama to declare "red lines" that would trigger an American attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, coupling his appeals with veiled threats of a unilateral Israeli attack on Iran.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:14 pm
@mysteryman,
Wow... Someone voted more than once absentee in a school board race. Quick, we have to require IN PERSON voters to present an ID but we will still let absentee voters just send in a notarized ballot.

I don't see how the solution solves what you are presenting as the problem MM. This would be like burning down the barn because a couple of foxes got through a hole in the chicken coop. While it might seem like you are doing something, it doesn't do anything to actually address the problem.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:46 pm
@snood,
I'm ignoring nothing. You seem to be conveniently ignoring the fact that I favor requiring people to have a picture ID to vote.
I see nothing wrong with requiring ID.

Getting an ID is not a difficult process, but it might be time consuming.
Most states will give you an ID for little to no cost, and my personal opinion is that if you can afford a cell phone, a big screen tv, cigarettes, alcohol, and any other luxury expense you might have, you can afford an ID.

I do not dispute the fact that the repubs have tried to pass some stupid voter laws, and I do not dispute the fact that a few people might be inconvenienced by the laws.
I do however, dispute the claim that the repubs are trying to disenfranchise as many voters as you are trying to claim.
I think the entire issue is being blown up by the left, for political reasons.

Now, if Obama loses the election, the left will be able to claim that their voters were prohibited from voting and thats why Obama lost.

Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:11 pm
@mysteryman,
where has the majority of voter fraud occurred?

absentee ballots.

why are we not doing anything to fix that?

because they are predominantly republican voters.

go figure...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:15 pm
@parados,
Here's the "real" problem about voter suppression. Yup, they're Tea Party members in action!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/opinion/voter-harassment-circa-2012.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ann Romney says "stop it!" Why? Mitt is the one who's creating his own problems.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:28 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
I do however, dispute the claim that the repubs are trying to disenfranchise as many voters as you are trying to claim.

you should be careful about using this word, because it implies that the one who is deprived of a vote or who someone is attempting to deprive of a vote had the right to vote in the first place. It is the position of most of those on the Right that those who are removed or attempting to remove never should have been there at all, so they are not disenfranchised.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:28 pm
@mysteryman,
Regardless of what the desired outcome is, the actual outcome of these voter ID laws is to votes

Until the laws are fine-tuned enough not to prevent legitimate voters from voting, I will continue to oppose them.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:36 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

where has the majority of voter fraud occurred?

absentee ballots.

why are we not doing anything to fix that?

because they are predominantly republican voters.

go figure...

so the R's run the voting system all across this great land......very interesting, as I was not aware.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're not aware of a lots of things; this is just one more.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I was being sarcastic, it is Rocky's apparent ignorance which should concern you....
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
you keep betting on my ignorance and see where you wind up...

why do you so desperately want to converse with me when I have repeatedly told you to go pound sand?

I'll not legitimize your sorry ass.

leave me alone.

thanks...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not really; I can read his posts as well as yours, and I find your posts to be extremely biased, stupid, and without credibility.

I give credit where due, and challenge those who post stupid stuff.