georgeob1

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 09:35 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I think Holder could have been a lot more effective if he hadn't had to deal with a pile of b.s. attacks from the rightwingnuts.

I think Ho;der worked very hard top stimulate those "attacks" and all the criticism he justly got.

Holder started out as the #2 man in the Clinton Justice Department, where he distinguished himself in the last day Presidential pardon of financier Marc Rich, a fugitive from U.S. justice, providing Justice department approval this obviously paid for Presidential pardon, and later testifying before the investigating committee of congress that his recommendation to the President was "neutral, leaning toward approval" - a rather weak and smarmy rationalization at best..

In office as Attorney General he dismissed a case involving armed Black Panther thugs at an active election polling place; proposed a civil trial in Manhattan of Kaleed Shiek Muhammed, the 9/11 organizer; hectored Justice Department employees about their latent racism; condoned the routine drone assasinations of suspected terrorists in Pakistan (after loudly demanding civil due process for them earlier) and provided the President with relaible, sterady lecal "cover" for his many overreaches of executive power.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 09:37 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

In office as Attorney General he dismissed a case involving armed Black Panther thugs at an active election polling place

Snort, as if this case had any validity to begin with, outside of Republican racism fever-dreams.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 09:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
There seems to be a certain kind of quantum physics going on here.
Romney was NOT an employee of Bain at a certain time unless you observe that he was. Then he still isn't unless you aren't the IRS but are the GOP.

It's impossible to determine both his position and his velocity.

Joe(Someone call the Heisenburg Institute, please)Nation
revelette

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 10:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Mitt Romney conceded President Obama has succeeded in making him a less likable person in an interview with Politico but he offered a defiant retort to those hoping he will open up this week: "I am who I am."

"Romney quoted that Popeye line three times in a 30-minute interview... swatting away advice from Republicans to focus on connecting with voters in a more emotional, human way at this convention."

"The issue seems close to the surface for Romney. He even used the same line in an interview with Fox News that aired Sunday: "Remember that Popeye line: 'I am what I am and that's all what I am.'"

source

Never realized how biblical Popeye was.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:02 am

Quote:

Mitt Romney offers evidence he's popular: 40 years ago, he was booster club president

Listen, people. Mitt Romney knows you don't like him, and he's sick of it. In an interview with Politico, "Romney made plain he is tired of the criticism that he is stiff, distant or not broadly liked by voters." Not only that, he offered proof that he's a likable guy:

“I was voted the president of my fraternity,” he said. “They don’t call them fraternities at Brigham Young University. They’re called Service Clubs. It was the Cougar Club. But you don’t get voted to be head of your group if you don’t get along with people, if you don’t connect with people.”

There's evidence of broad-based social appeal: More than 40 years ago, a group of voters as diverse as Romney's Brigham Young frat brothers considered him electable. Clearly, he's got what it takes to win the affections of a majority of American voters. (Why, by 2011, BYU's student population was, gosh, getting close to 12 percent non-white.)

Except that the Cougar Club isn't really a fraternity, it's a booster club. But regardless of why Romney chose to mischaracterize it, in 1971, when he became the Cougar Club's president and vowed to dramatically increase fundraising for BYU athletics, other universities were severing athletic relations with BYU over the Mormon church's racist policies, and BYU had yet to have any black football or basketball players.

Message to Mitt: That might not be the history you want to remind people about. And if you have to go back 40-plus years to a group of overwhelmingly white men of your religion and age and education level to prove that people like you, people don't like you. Also, let's not forget what happened last time Romney turned to his past classmates to testify to what a great guy he is, and none of his supposed high school friends would go on the record defending his bullying, while another former classmate described Romney's bullying as "evil" and "like Lord of the Flies."

Mitt Romney: popular among people just like him, trust him. Those people are his friends, no need to ask them to verify.

source
RABEL222

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:27 pm
@revelette,
Basically what this tax thing tells us is that Romney is a lier. Who here is surprised.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:53 pm
@RABEL222,
Romney is the only person I know who frequently lies about his lies, and that's common knowledge about this unethical Mormon. It makes me wonder why Mormons supports this liar.

Why do people want him as our president?

This article should make Romney unqualified, and a danger to American society, but look at all the people supporting him.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/test-19
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Romney is going to push for "free market" economy. In other words, very little to no government rules and regulations.

You will be allowed to eat all the poison you want, and buy defective stuff from China that will harm your children.

He still doesn't explain how his "free market" economy will produce jobs in the US.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Romney lied again! He said there was no savings from having his money in Switzerland or the Cayman Islands. He forgot that he told the world that he has a blind trust, and they don't know the details of their tax liabilities.

He just said he's "not going to avoid telling the truth."

I wonder what his next lie is going to be? Let me count the seconds....
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From JewishJournal.com.

Quote:
Mitt Romney and deep pockets like the Koch brothers and Sheldon Adelson have flooded the airwaves with ads claiming that Barack Obama has eliminated the work requirement for welfare and stolen benefits from Medicare recipients to fund a government takeover of health care. These are lies, and there are lots more like them out there. In the democracy of our dreams, the press relentlessly exposes their falsehood, and media-literate citizens, proficient at critical thinking, are immune from manipulation. But the press is not relentless, and people seem to have given up on demanding a junkyard-dog standard from democracy’s guardians.

For the news industry, it’s an easy call. How often can a station or a paper run the same story? After crying foul a few times about the Romney campaign’s effort to convince white working class voters that Obama is handing out free food stamps to lazy blacks, there’s no news left in the narrative. Networks fear that audiences will get bored, so they move on. And yes, there may be some truth to their understanding of their customers. We’re hooked on novelty, suckers for speed, addled by ADD. But billionaires don’t get bored. They keep paying to pound those ads into our heads, whether we like it or not. Repetition is the demagogue’s best friend.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:45 pm
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/voucherizing-medicare/

Quote:

August 27, 2012, 3:14 pm6 Comments
Voucherizing Medicare

So there it is: the draft Republican platform says of Medicare and Medicaid,

The first step is to move the two programs away from their current unsustainable defined-benefit entitlement model to a fiscally sound defined-contribution model.

That means that instead of Medicare as we know it, which pays your medical bills, you’d get a lump sum which you can apply to private insurance — they’ll yell when we call it a voucher, but that’s what it is.

No doubt I and others will have much more to say about this, but let’s just ask the question: why is this “fiscally sound”?

Bear in mind that health expenses will still have to be mainly paid for by some kind of insurance; that’s in the nature of medical care, with its high but unpredictable cost. So what we’re doing here is replacing government insurance with a program that gives people money to buy private insurance — that is, adding an extra layer of middlemen. Why would this save money? I guess the answer is supposed to be the magic of the marketplace — but we have the experience of Medicare Advantage, plus studies of Medicaid versus private insurance, plus the raw fact that America relies more on private insurance than any other nation and also has by far the highest costs. Nothing, absolutely nothing, in the record suggests that this will do anything other than make health care less efficient.

And for those demanding documentation, it’s coming; too busy today.

So where are the savings? The answer is, it’s basically a way to deny health care to people while denying that you’re doing so. You don’t say, “we won’t pay for this care”, you just hand people a voucher and let them discover that it won’t buy adequate insurance. It’s health-care rationing — but by money instead of deliberate choice.

It would be far more cost-effective, not to say humane, to make actual choices — to decide that Medicare won’t pay for procedures of little or no medical value. (As always, individuals who can afford it can buy whatever care they want). And Obamacare makes a start on that. But hey, that’s death panels.

So instead of making choices, we’ll let people die because of inadequate assets. Fiscal responsibility!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:49 pm
How about instead of the govt using our tax money to pay for people's healthcare, have the government regulate the healthcare industry? Set fees for procedures using a single code that any one with an internet connection can look up. Let the govt research and formulate drugs to cure all of our ills (after all, they built it, right? Might as well hold their asses to the fire.). Let the public use all of the current federal hospitals and just go ahead and nationalize all the hospitals. That's really the only way that healthcare costs will ever be brought under control.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:51 pm
@McGentrix,
IE, institute a British-style NHS? Surprising to see an American Conservative suggest such an approach. But, they have had a lot of success with it...

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
We all know the conservatives would never approve of such an approach. Romney is even introducing his idea at the convention on "free market" economy for the US - without explaning how this plan will work. No detail; as usual.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

IE, institute a British-style NHS? Surprising to see an American Conservative suggest such an approach. But, they have had a lot of success with it...

Cycloptichorn

British style? No. Never.

A US military style approach. Nationalizing healthcare is the ONLY way America will ever get control of spiraling healthcare costs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:56 pm
@McGentrix,
You mean not what our congress members enjoy?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:58 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

British style? No. Never.

A US military style approach. Nationalizing healthcare is the ONLY way America will ever get control of spiraling healthcare costs.

Laughing It's hard to believe you wrote this seriously, because what you described was almost 100% the British approach.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
WHy is that hard to believe? I have expressed the same views previously.

If we are ever going to get control, it's the only option.

But, (there's always a but) that doesn't mean that Obama's half-assed approach is going to get my approval. It's not what I am asking for. Until healthcare is nationalized, I am in favor of a free market approach and I don't want mandates for anyone. If people are too stupid to get health insurance for themselves, then they should do without. That is unless the govt wants to assure a free alternative (i.e. nationalize).
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:11 pm
@McGentrix,
Explain what you mean by,
Quote:
But, (there's always a but) that doesn't mean that Obama's half-assed approach is going to get my approval.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:28 pm
So I am wondering if Romney tells all his audience at the RNC that abortion rights have been settled and to just move on?

Quote:
(CBS News) In an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, Mitt Romney said his views on abortion rights are more lenient than those put forward in the Republican party platform.

"My position has been clear throughout this campaign," Romney said. "I'm in favor of abortion being legal in the case of rape and incest, and the health and life of the mother."

The Republican Party is gathering in Tampa, Fla., this week for its national convention, where in addition to nominating Romney for president, the party will officially adopt its national platform. Last week, the party added language to the platform calling for a constitutional amendment banning abortion, with no mention of making exceptions for victims of rape or incest, or to save the life of the mother.

Republican Convention 2012: complete coverage

President Obama in an interview Saturday said that if Romney were president, the Republican would not "stand in the way" if Congress attempted to strip women of their reproductive health rights. Democrats have recently stepped up their attacks against the GOP ticket on the issue of reproductive rights, in part because of the strong views held by Romney's running mate Rep. Paul Ryan, and in part because of the controversial remarks GOP Senate candidate Todd Akin made on rape and abortion.

Romney, however, told Pelley that the issue amounts to a distraction.

"Recognize this is the decision that will be made by the Supreme Court," he said. "The Democrats try and make this a political issue every four years, but this is a matter in the courts. It's been settled for some time in the courts."

source