cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 10:56 pm
@DrewDad,
You got that right or as they say in the UK, spot on!

They're now the "**** you party."
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:10 am
@Joe Nation,
The point I was trying to make but you made it better.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:32 am
@Joe Nation,
eh. **** you.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:16 am
Mitt Romney: 'I'm The Guy Who Was Able To Get Health Care' For Massachusetts

Quote:
"With regards to women's health care, look, I'm the guy who was able to get health care for all of the women and men in my state," the presumptive Republican presidential nominee told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday." "They're [the Obama administration] just talking about it at the federal level, but we actually did something and did it without cutting Medicare and without raising taxes."

Obama didn't cut medicare. So, government run health care is a good thing now?
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:19 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Mitt Romney has repeatedly insisted during the presidential campaign that layoffs and other controversy surrounding Bain Capital companies for the past decade are not his responsibility, because he retired in 1999. When tax experts charged that he benefited from legally dubious tax avoidance strategies employed by Bain, his campaign noted that the investments are kept in a blind trust completely out of his control.

"As we have said many times before, Governor and Mrs. Romney's assets are managed on a blind basis. They do not control the investment of these assets. The investment decisions are made by a trustee," spokeswoman Michele Davis said.

But according to his 2010 tax return, when the Internal Revenue Service comes calling in April, Romney has a different answer: The presumptive GOP nominee reaps lucrative tax breaks for "active" participation in the private equity firm he founded, as well as a host of other investments.

As David Kautter, a tax expert at American University, explains, the concept of active investment has different meanings for the IRS and for regular people. "When you say you're actively involved in all these businesses, people do think, OK, you're actively involved. But the tax law has its own definition," he said.

That still leaves Romney in a rhetorical jam: For tax purposes, he claims an active status; for political purposes, he claims to have zero to do with the investments.

The distinction is valuable, for the IRS treats passive and active income and losses differently. If a passive investment loses money, the taxpayer can only write off that loss if passive gains have also been made and only at a 15 percent rate. But active losses can be written off at a 35 percent rate and deducted from the taxpayer's ordinary income. In other words, a taxpayer wants active losses, not passive losses. So by describing many of his investments as active, Romney saves himself millions of dollars in taxes.

More at the source
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:28 am
@mysteryman,
You might want to take a look at what's been happening to trucking jobs in North America for the past 5 - 7 years.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 11:33 am
I know the GOP thinks Charlie Crist is a huge traitor to the party but I so admire a politician that thinks for themselves and not just what the party tells them what they should think. That goes for both parties. I will never agree 100% with a party but at the end of the day, I choose which one is closer to my overall beliefs. That is why I will be voting for President Obama this November!!

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/obama-is-right-leader-for-our-times/1247631

Quote:
Former Gov. Charlie Crist: Here's why I'm backing Barack Obama

I’ve studied, admired and gotten to know a lot of leaders in my life. Across Florida, in Washington and around the country, I've watched the failure of those who favor extreme rhetoric over sensible compromise, and I've seen how those who never lose sight of solutions sow the greatest successes.

As America prepares to pick our president for the next four years — and as Florida prepares once again to play a decisive role — I'm confident that President Barack Obama is the right leader for our state and the nation. I applaud and share his vision of a future built by a strong and confident middle class in an economy that gives us the opportunity to reap prosperity through hard work and personal responsibility. It is a vision of the future proven right by our history.

We often remind ourselves to learn the lessons of the past, lest we risk repeating its mistakes. Yet nearly as often, our short-term memory fails us. Many have already forgotten how deep and daunting our shared crisis was in the winter of 2009, as President Obama was inaugurated. It was no ordinary challenge, and the president served as the nation's calm through a historically turbulent storm.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 11:49 am
The Economist magazine, which endorsed McCain over Obama in 2008, is coming out against Romney this year.

Quote:
All politicians flip-flop from time to time; but Mr Romney could win an Olympic medal in it (see article). And that is a pity, because this newspaper finds much to like in the history of this uncharismatic but dogged man, from his obvious business acumen to the way he worked across the political aisle as governor to get health reform passed and the state budget deficit down. We share many of his views about the excessive growth of regulation and of the state in general in America, and the effect that this has on investment, productivity and growth. After four years of soaring oratory and intermittent reforms, why not bring in a more businesslike figure who might start fixing the problems with America’s finances?

But competence is worthless without direction and, frankly, character. Would that Candidate Romney had indeed presented himself as a solid chief executive who got things done. Instead he has appeared as a fawning PR man, apparently willing to do or say just about anything to get elected. In some areas, notably social policy and foreign affairs, the result is that he is now committed to needlessly extreme or dangerous courses that he may not actually believe in but will find hard to drop; in others, especially to do with the economy, the lack of details means that some attractive-sounding headline policies prove meaningless (and possibly dangerous) on closer inspection. Behind all this sits the worrying idea of a man who does not really know his own mind. America won’t vote for that man; nor would this newspaper.

You can read the whole article here.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:59 pm
@Joe Nation,
You totally misunderstood what I was talking about.
I simply meant that my job cannot be se t overseas, because its a job that has to be done locally, it can't be done by someone overseas.

I was not saying that I don't care about anyone else, nor am I saying that we don't need to band together to make things better for everyone.
You are reading much more into my statement then was meant, with no attempt at understanding what was meant.

IMHO, that is part of the problem with politics today. Both sides hear what they want to hear, no matter what the statement is or what it is about.
So while I know what I meant, and if taken in context my statement needs no explanation, others will read whatever they want into it.

BTW, even if I did mean it the way you took it, which I didn't, can any of you honestly say that you haven't thought the same thing?
How many of you have secretly thought "glad that wasn't me" when you hear of layoffs in an industry somewhere?

So next time you think you know what I meant, why don't you ask me first. You might find out you are wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:00 pm
I am a maintenance man. My job can't be exported too. Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:40 pm
@Thomas,
That's been my observation about Romney too, but I've been more critical of his management at Bains Capital. His secretive, non-transparent, management style should be a big issue as any government representative of the people.

His flip-flops and lies are legendary by now; how can people still depend on him to do the right thing when he's flip-flopped on most of the major issues of our day?

Who is Romney? Does anybody really know?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's three paragraphs from the current NYT article on the GOP convention.

Quote:
Some elements of that revised strategy will be evident at the Republican convention, which was set to open here on Monday but will be delayed until Tuesday because of safety concerns from Tropical Storm Isaac. The Romney campaign was hastily rearranging the schedule, but officials said the convention would still amplify the conservative arguments against the president with speakers like Gov. Nikki R. Haley of South Carolina and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey.

“We will absolutely be able to get our message out,” said Russ Schriefer, a senior campaign adviser. “We still have an opportunity to tell the story of the last four years of how President Obama has failed the country.”

The strategic shift in the campaign message that has been unfolding in recent weeks reflects a conclusion among Mr. Romney’s advisers that disappointment with Mr. Obama’s economic stewardship is not sufficient to propel Mr. Romney to victory on its own.

Their primary message is going to be the poor performance by Obama on our economy. What chutzpah! They're the ones who have handicapped most, if not all, of Obama's legislation to help our economy.

Here's evidence that the GOP's primary goal for President Obama was to make him a one term president, and now they're claiming he didn't do enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc

There's no cure for s........... I guess it's a growth industry in the GOP; do everything in your power to stop the president from doing anything, then blame him for not doing much.

If they bothered to look, jobs grew by over 4.5 million under Obama while the GOP worked to reduce most government jobs by the tens of thousands.

The job loss trend under GW Bush turned around to job growth under Obama.

Those are facts they seem to forget or dare not to repeat, but lie and tell more lies.

The Great Recession was the second worst economic downturn after the Great Depression. It impacted the world's economies - including China's.

The unemployment rate in Europe is much worse than the US. That speaks well of the management of our economy under Obama: 1. even with world demand down, Obama was able to sustain some GDP growth in this country, and 2. our stock market has performed well since 2009.

All during this time, the GOP tried to blame Obama for the high gas prices. That's beyond ignorant; no one person can control world oil prices.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Another current article on Romney.
Quote:
Romney reaches out to women before GOP convention

Mitt Romney said it is "sad" that President Barack Obama's campaign is trying to link him to Rep. Todd Akin's statements about abortion, as top Republicans preparing for the party's nominating convention urged the GOP presidential challenger to reach out to women and Hispanics.

Sad? He belongs to the party that wants to control women's bodies and vagina, and he says he's sad? Wow! This guy is really blind or dumb.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As the GOP prepares for their convention in Florida, and the storm is headed towards Mississippi and Louisiana, the attention of the media and people in those states will be towards help from the government in the event of another Katrina.

But, the GOP is having their convention with the primary message of government spending cuts.

You just gotta feel sorry for them folks if their communities and homes are damaged/ruined, and the government just says "no" to helping them.

That's the GOP way. That's what they call "justifiable storm."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:21 am
C.I. :

Quote:
There's no cure for s........... I guess it's a growth industry in the GOP; do everything in your power to stop the president from doing anything, then blame him for not doing much.

That says it all right there, C.I.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:31 am
Former Republican governor Charlie Crist is going to get a speaking spot at the Democratic National Convention after he endorsed President Obama yesterday. Could Obama have a candidate to replace Eric Holder as Attorney General in a second administration?
snood

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:18 am
@jcboy,
I think Holder could have been a lot more effective if he hadn't had to deal with a pile of b.s. attacks from the rightwingnuts.
revelette

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 09:05 am
Quote:
Chris Matthews engages in a little truth telling, speaking to GOP chairman Reince Priebus this morning on Morning Joe: "Everybody knows what game your playing: it's a race card." Romney's birth certificate joke was "awful," Matthews said and his welfare attacks are "dishonest."

Priebus's comeback? To echo Mitt Romney and say Matthews needs to learn how to take a joke. Matthews then asked Priebus to explain the joke. He didn't get an answer, because the explanation is obvious.

source
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 09:22 am
Wuh oh -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/26/romney-bain-taxes_n_1828816.html

Romney apparently took exemptions on his 2009 taxes that would have only been legal if he was still an employee of Bain.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 09:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
This rhetorical jam keeps coming up in various ways:

Quote:
Even if Romney could persuade the IRS his involvement was legitimately active, that still leaves him in a rhetorical jam: For tax purposes, he claims an active status; for political purposes, he claims to have zero to do with the investments.

(From your source.)
0 Replies