DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
How The Right Robbed Romney Of His Running Room

Quote:
It’s no secret that Romney has an uneasy alliance with the conservative base. But the movement’s reaction when he nodded at Romneycare wasn’t an isolated freakout about the one issue they disagree on. It was a warning to Romney that he veers from orthodoxy at his peril.

When it became clear that Romney would be the GOP nominee, the right, suspicious of his moderate past, undertook an effort to rob him of his governing agency. That’s included constraining his options on everything from tax policy to his vice presidential pick. The clamor when he claimed credit for Romneycare exemplifies what happens when he bucks those constraints.

The most recent manifestation is an all-hands-on-deck effort to make Romney pick Paul Ryan as his vice president. Choosing Ryan would heighten the substantive stakes of the election, but it would also put a watchdog on the ticket — one who would be disinclined to march along if Romney wandered away from the conservative agenda.

The clamor you are hearing for Paul Ryan for VP is not about helping the Romney candidacy,” wrote conservative writer, and former George W. Bush aide, David Frum. “It’s about controlling the Romney campaign—and ultimately the Romney presidency. It’s about forcing a platform on Romney, and then dictating the agenda for that presidency’s first year. The platform happens to be suicidal, and the agenda impossible, but that does not matter to the Ryan advocates. They take the old Tammany Hall point of view: ‘Better to lose an agenda than lose control of the party.’ In that sense, the Ryan proposal is a test of Romney’s leadership. If he accedes, it’s a big surrender of control—and a surrender to many of those who most opposed (and who inwardly continue to dislike) his nomination.”

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:45 pm
@DrewDad,
That'll work for Romney; all he wants is the title like GW Bush. We all know who ran the administration; it wasn't GW Bush.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:47 am
Breaking news -

Quote:
Mitt Romney's campaign has announced that the presumptive GOP nominee has chosen House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan as his vice-presidential running mate. The two candidates will appear together at a campaign event in Norfolk, VA Saturday morning.
engineer

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 06:29 am
@JPB,
Interesting choice, one that might cost the Republicans Ryan's congressional seat. Romney had to decide to move left or right and he doubled down and went right.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 09:33 am
@engineer,
Romney needed to get the "real" conservative base to win, and that's the only reason he chose Ryan. He'll do anything to win, even knowing he'll lose control as president. Another GW Bush presidency.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 09:39 am
If I was a believer in things Freudian, I'd definitely think this was some kind of psychological slip. When he first officially introduced Ryan to the cheering crowd, he called him "the next President of the United States!".

LOL
Irishk

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 09:52 am
@snood,
The Republicans made the exact same claim (Freudian) when Obama did it when introducing Biden.

I've said it before -- I think these candidates are pretty much exhausted by their campaign schedules, but it's still fun to take each little gaffe and make merry with it Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 10:40 am
@snood,
That's not a gaffe; it's a fact that Romney understands quite well; that he'll be a puppet president under Ryan.
snood

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think you're right that he's going to be an empty vessel for Grover Norquist and any other strong rightwing whackjob to fill with whatever they want to go forward.
But I disagree that he's totally aware of being used. He strikes me as someone who sort of blindly wants the title of president of the US simply because its the most prestigious job he can think of. And everything and anything he has to go through to get there is a mere circumstance to getting his name with the title "Mr President".
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:24 am
@snood,
I agree.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:40 am
He's already started his talking points about why we shouldn't see him as agreeing with Ryan's radical rightwing budget ideas, even though he's on record promising to sign Ryan's budget into law...

Within minutes of tapping Paul Ryan as his vice presidential nominee, presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney was distancing himself from the congressman's controversial budget, which includes steep cuts to government programs and changing Medicare into a voucher-like program.

The Romney campaign sent out talking points on Saturday that made the case that he was his own man on matters of Medicare and Social Security and that he wouldn't be tied to a document he insisted he'd sign into law and once called "marvelous."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/11/mitt-romney-paul-ryan-budget_n_1767765.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:55 am
@snood,
That's too funny! We all know Romney had no choice in the matter of his VP if he wanted the backing of right wingers which he needed to even have a chance at winning the election.

He's now in a lose-lose situation, and he will become the laughing stock of US politics. His wealth is not going to help him here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 01:54 pm
@snood,
Another point about Medicare and social security; the Medicare voucher system will not affect those 55 and older, but that's still not engraved in stone, and we all know about Romney and his lies. As for social security, they'll probably go back to the GW Bush theory of "private investments for retirement." That one belongs on the laffer curve, because even with social security, most do not have enough savings for their retirement.

I guess more homeless is their goal, and they'll probably succeed, because conservatives are voting for them to win.

The real ironies of our times.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:26 pm
I think his own statement is probably the clearest sxposition of his views:

"I'm not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was."
--Willard Mitt Romney
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
That supports all the lies he's been telling the American people.

They're lies whether he remembers what he said or didn't.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:51 pm
@Irishk,
Of course you're right but the fact will be ignored as it messes the story they want to spin.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:55 pm
@djjd62,
And have you ever seen him eat or drink anything?

Vampire maybe?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 05:58 pm
@snood,
I think he should but I understand why he hasn't.

Who would want to give Dirty Harry, the Dirty Liar Reid the good on his gutter politics?

He should have released them after he locked up the nomination, and now he has to wait until the Reid bilge runs off.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 06:05 pm
I can't wait to watch Ryan make an utter fool of Biden in their debate. The prospect may even induce Obama to jettison Joe in favor of a less moronic running mate.

Too bad he can't debate Obama.
engineer

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 06:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I too am interested in that debate although I don't think Biden will come off nearly as bad as you think. (I believe the left somewhat underestimates Biden and the right really underestimates him.) I think that debate will probably be the best debate of the last twenty years in terms of laying out to opposing approaches to running the country and discussing them.