engineer

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 09:01 am
@JPB,
Plenty of time left for people to change their minds. That said, I think the Dem advertising machine is hitting a little more effectively than the Rep machine right now. Besides all the negative ads (during the Olympics), I saw a nice Obama ad where it is just Obama talking. Very effective I thought.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 09:26 am
@engineer,
I also think that's a nice ad.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 09:59 am
'Romney Murdered JonBenet Ramsey', New Obama Campaign Ad Alleges

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/17/17713/16x9/635.jpg?5123

CHICAGO—With campaign rhetoric becoming increasingly heated and both presidential nominees releasing more attack ads, a new 30-second spot from the Obama campaign this week accuses his opponent Mitt Romney of committing the 1996 murder of 6-year-old beauty pageant queen JonBenét Ramsey.

Titled “He Did It,” the advertisement asks if anyone can truly remember where Romney was the night of the child’s murder, and whether the U.S. populace wants a president capable of strangling a little girl and dumping her body in her parents’ basement.

President Obama appears at the end of the advertisement to approve the message.

“I think this is a fair ad, and I think Mitt Romney owes an explanation to the American people as to why he murdered JonBenét Ramsey,” said Obama campaign manager Jim Messina, who called the commercial’s black-and-white reenactment of Mitt Romney carrying a kicking and screaming child to her death “accurate.” “Ultimately, voters need to know who they’re getting with Mitt Romney: a job- and child-killing businessman who is so deceitful he won’t release his tax returns or admit to a senseless murder that shook the nation to its core.”

Scheduled to run in multiple swing states, with significant airtime in Ramsey’s home state of Colorado, the ad criticizes Romney not just for killing the prepubescent girl, but for going to extreme lengths to cover it up. It also states that Mitt Romney paid former school teacher John Mark Karr to falsely come forward as the murderer, and accuses the former Massachusetts governor of being a sex offender.

Over a silhouette of Romney walking away from the Ramsey mansion—blood dripping from his hands—the commercial’s narrator asks, “If Mitt Romney kept the murder of JonBenét a secret from the American people, what else is he hiding?”

Moreover, at the end of the spot a smiling Romney is seen at a campaign event saying, “I killed her, and I had a good time.” Sources from the Romney campaign were quick to announce that the audio and video had been cobbled together from different statements he made during that particular rally.

“Personally, if I killed JonBenét Ramsey, I would have come clean and told the American people that on day one,” Obama’s communication director David Axelrod said on Sunday’s installment of Meet The Press. “But I think that’s a key difference between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. Barack Obama never murdered a child, and Mitt Romney did.”

According to sources at Obama’s Chicago headquarters, the “He Did It” commercial is just the first in a new series of attack ads that accuses Romney of drowning actress Natalie Wood in 1981, convincing cult leader David Koresh to burn down the Branch Davidian ranch in Waco, TX, and causing the Challenger disaster.

“I think these ads will end up being very effective,” former Bill Clinton campaign strategist Dick Morris said. “If you are an undecided voter and you are constantly seeing images of Mitt Romney standing over a child’s lifeless body, or, as in the case of the ‘Zodiac’ spot, shooting two high schoolers at point blank range on their first date, that’s a pretty persuasive image right there.”

Added Morris, “This ad very effectively reminds us that no child murderer has ever been elected into the White House.”

Though the Obama campaign has denied it, many Beltway observers have said the advertisements are retaliation for the Romney camp’s highly controversial ad, “Boom,” which accuses the president of being the fertilizer bomb that destroyed an Oklahoma City federal building in 1995.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:45 am
@DrewDad,
You wrote,
Quote:
This guy is an embarrassment for the GOP.

Romney is an embarrassment for the US; his gaffes on his recent trip to Europe shows how inept he is about foreign affairs and relationships.

He only knows how to relate to the rich, and there's very few of those in this world.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You know, I expect so-called "political consultants" who do nothing other than appear on TV as one the many Mouths of Sauron, to swallow hard and claim that Harry Reid is being factual, or the Murdering Romney ad didn't cross the line.

Reid is using the same tactic used by Fox News, Limbaugh, Beck, Bachmann and many others. It isn't factual. But then neither are any of the others that use that tactic. Oralloy is using a similar tactic when he claims the UN is trying to ban civilian guns.

As for the "Murdering" Romney ad. Where does the ad claim that Romney murdered anyone? I think your calling it "Murdering Romney" shows you to be using the same tactics as Reid. While one can certainly make a case that the ad implies Romney murdered someone, that is the similar to Reid's argument. There just isn't much there there.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:28 am
@JamesMorrison,
Quote:
Gotcha!
So, given that the GOP could filibuster the Senate, the Dems still passed Obamacare didn't they?

You didn't gotcha anything. You proved that the GOP could filibuster anything if they held together which they do regularly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:32 am
@parados,
From thinkprogress.org.

Quote:
Filibusters skyrocket under Republican minority in 110th Congress.
By Ali Frick on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:00 pm
Yesterday, Sen. John Kyl (R-AZ) slammed the idea of passing health care reform and other Obama priorities through a simple majority of the Senate, a process called reconciliation. “Now, if they do that, that, in effect is the nuclear war,” Kyl said. The Republicans have become experts at using Senate filibusters — or often just the threat of filibusters — to block the Democratic agenda while in the minority. As this chart from Norm Ornstein shows, the use of filibusters have skyrocketed under Republicans:

The GOP are obstructionists, and the republicans complain why congress doesn't get anything done.

There's no cure for s.........
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:15 pm
How The Media Made The Priorities USA Attack Ad Matter

Quote:
Romney’s campaign called the ad “dishonest” and “contemptible.” Mark Halperin of Time Magazine lamented, “It seems that for some Democrats, given the attacks the President has taken, nothing is out of bounds in going after Romney at this point.”

Sensing controversy, cable news outlets replayed the ad, by ThinkProgress’ estimate, 60 times in two days. Fox News and Fox Business provided the bulk of the coverage, mentioning and playing clips of the ad 26 times since Tuesday. CNN and MSNBC played it 15 and 12 times respectively.

Priorities USA senior strategist Bill Burton told the Huffington Post that “Understands” has been “wildly successful” in focusing the conversation on Romney’s impact on the middle class. And the super PAC is getting far more bang for its buck thanks to the free media coverage.

To put the Priorities USA ad buy in perspective, conservative outside groups spent $144 million on swing state TV ads as of the third week in July. Democratic groups, led by Priorities USA, have spent $20 million.

The success of “Understands” can be read as a lesson to future political campaigns: launch hyperbolic attacks on your opponent, and the media will reward you with millions of dollars in free air time.
parados

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:54 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
The success of “Understands” can be read as a lesson to future political campaigns: launch hyperbolic attacks on your opponent, and the media will reward you with millions of dollars in free air time.

I think that lesson was taught 8 years ago with the swift boat ads.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 01:12 pm
@parados,
I agree; you got a good memory. Poor Kerry didn't have a prayer.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 02:46 pm
@Irishk,
i love it

come to think of it, has anyone noticed that Mitt Romney and jack the Ripper were never in the same room together

think about it
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 02:56 pm
IF THE AD THAT IRISHK POSTED WAS THE "MURDERING ROMNEY" AD FINN IS SO INCENSED ABOUT, IT'S A PARODY OF ATTACK ADS BY THE ONION. IT IS NOT ANYTHING PRODUCED BY ANY GROUP ASSLOCIOATED WITH OBAMA. it'S NOT EVEN REAL, BUT TRUST FINN TO BELIEVE IT'S REAL. This may have been mentioned here before, and I missed it, if so. Thought it bore repeating.
djjd62

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 02:58 pm
@MontereyJack,
too bad, these are exactly the sorts of ads i'd love to see in elections

(by the way,i realized it was fake without having to be told, who could believe it was real (but it should be, it would be the best))
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 03:18 pm
@djjd62,
Here's the dope from the IRS on the super rich and their income taxes.

Quote:
COMMON SENSE
Can People as Rich as Romney Escape Taxes? They Can.
By JAMES B. STEWART
Published: August 10, 2012 56 Comments

On the face of it, Senator Harry Reid’s explosive but flimsily sourced claim that Mitt Romney paid no income tax seems preposterous. Mr. Romney has denied it, and without his returns no one can say for sure. But would it even be possible for someone who makes millions of dollars a year?

It so happens that this summer the Internal Revenue Service released data from the 400 individual income tax returns reporting the highest adjusted gross income. This elite ultrarich group earned on average $202 million in 2009, the latest year available. And buried in the data is the startling disclosure that six of the 400 paid no federal income tax.

The I.R.S. has never before disclosed that last fact.

Not even Mr. Romney, with reported 2010 income of $21.7 million, qualifies for membership in this select group of 400. But the data provides a window into the financial lives and tax rates of the superrich. Since the I.R.S. doesn’t release data for the tiny percentage of Americans at Mr. Romney’s income level, the 400 are the closest proxy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 09:24 pm
Conservative radio talker and occasional Fox News guest host Laura Ingraham has a dour message for her fellow Republicans: “Romney is losing,” she said on her show Friday.

“I might be the skunk at the picnic, but I’m going to say it and I’m going to say it clearly,” Ingraham said, citing recent polling that shows President Barack Obama widening his lead in public opinion. “Romney is losing,” she deadpanned, later suggesting he’d brought “a down pillow to a gun fight.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/10/conservative-host-ingraham-romney-brought-a-down-pillow-to-a-gun-fight/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 09:26 pm
Just heard on a local news show Romney will announce his running mate Saturday morning.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 09:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Current polls are showing that Obama is winning except for Rasmussen and Gallup. All other polls show Obama ahead.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2012-general-election-romney-vs-obama
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:16 pm
Sure seems a lot of GOP folks are encouraging Mr Romney to release more income taxes.

I wonder what conservative-leaning people here - who say that the only reason Dems push it is to avoid talking about the "real issues" - say about that.

Jon Huntsman Sr. urged Mitt Romney on Friday to release more tax returns and said he feels "very badly" that the presumptive Republican presidential nominee "won’t be fair with the American people."

Huntsman, a supporter of Romney's campaign, made the remarks to Greg Sargent at the Washington Post. He said, "I've supported Mitt all along. I wish him well. But I do think he should release his income taxes."

Ron Paul -
"Politically, I think that would help him," Paul said in a interview with Politico. "In the scheme of things politically, you know, it looks like releasing tax returns is what the people want."

Richard Lugar -
"I have no idea on why he has restricted the number to this point"

George Will -
"I don't know why... he didn't get all of this out and tidy up some of his offshore accounts and all the rest," Will said on ABC's "This Week." "He's done nothing illegal, nothing unseemly, nothing improper, but lots that's impolitic."

Bill Kristol -
"He should release the tax returns tomorrow. It's crazy," Kristol said on "Fox News Sunday." "You gotta release six, eight, 10 years of back tax returns. Take the hit for a day or two."

Michael Steele -
"If there's nothing there, there's no 'there' there, don't create a there,'" Steele said on MSNBC

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/10/jon-huntsman-mitt-romney-tax-returns_n_1765592.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:23 pm
@snood,
For those who believe (his tax returns) "there's nothing there" are really naive.

He's going to keep those a secret until he dies. He's a proven liar for god's sakes.

Remember when he was asked about how much taxes he paid, he said
Quote:
"And as soon as I find out, I'll let you know."

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:24 pm
NBC reports that it will be Ryan tomorrow!

Cycloptichorn