IRFRANK

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:02 pm
@parados,
Quote:
When a minority group chooses not to be offended I see no reason to be offended for them.

I guess the difference there is sensitivity.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 05:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Funny coming from someone who's so sensitive about race and bigotry.

What's funny about it? I'm saying that no one can tell someone else what should and should not offend them. If a woman thinks some humor is misogynistic, I don't think its my place to tell them they're reading it wrong. If a Native American thinks his culture is being besmirched by a sports team, who am I to say he shouldn't feel that way.

By the same token, I think its also true that one person can't take offense on behalf of someone else (like I tried to do with you and oral).

These things are not cut-and-dried, C.I. Each situation is different.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 05:56 pm
@snood,
Who's talking about "telling someone else what should and should not offend them?" Where did you dig up that idea?

Show me?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
Here's the latest on the Romney international tour.

Quote:
Mitt Romney Spokesman Tells Reporters 'Kiss My …' at Polish Holy Site
By Emily Friedman | ABC OTUS News – 5 hrs ago

WARSAW, Poland - A Mitt Romney spokesman reprimanded reporters traveling with the candidate on his six-day foreign trip, telling them to "kiss my a**" after they shouted questions from behind a rope line.
As Romney left the site of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Warsaw and walked toward his motorcade parked in Pilsudski Square, reporters began shouting questions from the line where campaign staffers had told them to stay behind, prompting traveling press secretary Rick Gorka to tell a group of reporters to "kiss my a**" and "shove it."

What's even funnier is the fact that the video that's attached to this news report will not work. Talk about the freedom of the press....
Thomas

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
What's even funnier is the fact that the video that's attached to this news report will not work. Talk about the freedom of the press....

It worked fine for me this morning when I watched it on NPR's page.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks, I was able to watch it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's Romney trying to back-track again.

Quote:
Romney denies criticizing Palestinian culture

Mitt Romney insisted he was not specifically talking about Palestinian culture when he was quoted suggesting culture was the reason for the economic disparity between Israel and Palestine.

Wow! The guy can't even realize his own mistakes. How will that work as a president of any country?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:23 pm
Like most supporters of Israel, Romney is bigoted, grossly misinformed and utterly ignorant about the Israel Palestine Conflict.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:27 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
I'm saying that no one can tell someone else what should and should not offend them. If a woman thinks some humor is misogynistic, I don't think its my place to tell them they're reading it wrong. If a Native American thinks his culture is being besmirched by a sports team, who am I to say he shouldn't feel that way.

By the same token, I think its also true that one person can't take offense on behalf of someone else (like I tried to do with you and oral).

These things are not cut-and-dried, C.I. Each situation is different.

I'm still trying to make sense of this.

If I take this argument to an extreme, it seems (to me) to suggest that no one who isn't discriminated against should complain about/comment on discrimination against other cuz it's none of our beeswax.

So if I'm in a restaurant line-up with a group of friends and the host says "we can seat you and you, but you're black and you're gay and you're in a wheelchair and we don't serve you", I should be cool with it and say "see ya later, I'm gonna go in and eat", because I wasn't discriminated against.

A somewhat extreme example but I think that's where your position leads, and I'm really not good with that.
engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
Romney is just a world class panderer. A few weeks ago he promised he would make Israel his first foreign trip abroad. Just about every president has made the first visit Canada (you know, the country with the huge border, massive economic ties, long history). I think Bush went to Mexico first. Israel? Only at a Jewish Republican meeting.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I think he's saying you shouldn't tell your black, gay, and wheelchair-bound friends that they should be offended.

Be offended on your own behalf.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:12 pm
@InfraBlue,
Wouldn't you also agree that those Jews who still support Romney are also "misinformed and bigoted?"
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Good post, and I agree. As a minority who has experienced discrimination and imprisonment in this country, I can not tolerate any form of discrimination whether against other minorities, gays and lesbians, the handicapped, or women.

If given the choice to expand equal rights for all, I would vote for such propositions.

I take offense when anyone is discriminated against.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:23 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm not planning on telling anyone else to be offended.

I read Snood's position to be that I have nothing to be offended about.

I've re-read the post a number of times since last night - tried to find another take on it. Finally gave up.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:39 pm
Forget all this 'who is offended' bullshit.

Word on the street today is that Romney may have paid close to zero taxes for a straight decade or more, by using gimmicks and manipulations. More to come.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:42 pm
@ehBeth,
All the current presidential polls seem to indicate that the election is a close call - even steven.

Most pundits make the claim that it's a close call, because of the present unemployment numbers.

There are too many missing analysis in why this should be so.

The republican House seems to handicap all of the legislation that would help our economy, and at the same time Americans agree that a tax on the higher income earners are justified.

Most Americans also agree that the current economic strife can be blamed on GW Bush.

Yet, the voters want to replace Obama with Romney who has the same goal to reducing taxes for the wealthy as GW Bush.

Some things just doesn't jive. What am I missing?
RABEL222

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The blind stupidity of the U.S voter. But dont worry, when Romney and the republicans reduce us all to surfdom they will once again blame the democrats.
engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Word on the street today is that Romney may have paid close to zero taxes for a straight decade or more, by using gimmicks and manipulations. More to come.

That's from a Harry Reid interview. He says a source at Bain told him Romney didn't pay taxes and that is why he couldn't get confirmed for a cabinet position.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 02:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

All the current presidential polls seem to indicate that the election is a close call - even steven.

Over at FiveThirtyEight.com they are calling it 293 - 245 Obama with Obama likely to win by 2 to 1.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 03:16 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Romney is just a world class panderer. A few weeks ago he promised he would make Israel his first foreign trip abroad. Just about every president has made the first visit Canada (you know, the country with the huge border, massive economic ties, long history). I think Bush went to Mexico first. Israel? Only at a Jewish Republican meeting.

It also plays, much more significantly, to the Christianist and Libertarian hawk vote.
0 Replies