parados

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:22 am
@mysteryman,
The article is very tongue in cheek MM. I can tell by your response you didn't read it. He talks about Governor Bruce Springsteen of NJ. The endorsement is of ice cream vs frozen custard.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:28 am
@Ragman,
It's now Obama 303, Romney 191.

From TPM. Mr. Green Cool Cool Very Happy Smile Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:41 am
Here's a good report on how Romney arrived at his 12 million jobs, but the way he presented it doesn't add up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/mitt-romneys-new-math-for-jobs-plan-doesnt-add-up/2012/10/15/fd1d1e1c-170f-11e2-a55c-39408fbe6a4b_blog.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:56 am
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/08aCQMmQA.m28L9xw0ZdUA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9ODMzO3E9ODU7dz02MDA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/db121104.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 05:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

http://www.dyeremergency.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/excellent.jpg

Why on earth did this get a -3 thumbs down? It was the absolute perfect response to my post in tone and content. Nice post.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 09:00 am
I have to retract my statement that Romney is a man without any principles at all. He has some things that define him - they just happen to be perverse and corrupt and not worthy of someone wanting to be president. Robert Reich has spelled out the tenets of Romneyism. It is not tongue-in-cheek, and I think it is extremely accurate:

The ten guiding principles of Romneyism are:

1. Corporations are the basic units of society. Corporations are people, and the overriding purpose of an economy is to maximize corporate profits. When profits are maximized, the economy grows fastest. This growth benefits everyone in the form greater output, better products and services, and higher share prices.

2. Workers are a means to the goal of maximizing corporate profits. If workers do not contribute to that goal, they should be fired. If they cannot then find other work that helps maximize profits in another company, their wages must be too high, and they must therefore accept steadily lower wages until they find a job.

3. All factors of production -- capital, physical plant and equipment, workers -- are fungible and should be treated the same. Any that fail to deliver high competitive returns should be replaced or discarded. This keeps an economy efficient. Fairness is and should be irrelevant.

4. Pollution, unsafe products, unsafe working conditions, financial fraud, and other negative side effects of the pursuit of profits are the price society pays for profit-driven growth. They should not be used as excuses to constrain the pursuit of profits through regulation.

5. Individual worth depends on net worth -- how much money one has made, and the value of the assets that money has been invested in. Any person with enough intelligence and ambition can make a fortune. Failure to do so is sign of moral and intellectual inferiority.

6. People who fail in the economy should not be coddled. They should not receive food stamps, Medicaid, or any other form of social subsidy. Coddling leads to a weaker society and a weaker economy.

7. Taxes are inherently bad because they constrain profit-making. It is the right and responsibility of individuals and corporations to exploit every tax loophole they (and their tax attorneys) can find in order to pay the lowest taxes possible.

8. Politics is a game whose only purpose is to win. Any means used to win the game is legitimate even if it involves lying and cheating, as long as it gains more supporters than it loses.

9. Democracy is dangerous because it is forever vulnerable to the votes of a majority intent on capturing the wealth of the successful minority, on whom the economy depends. The rich must therefore do whatever is necessary to prevent the majority from exercising its will, including spending large sums of money on lobbyists and political campaigns. The most virtuous among the rich will go a step further and run for president.

10. The three most important aspects of life are family, religion, and money. Patriotism is a matter of guarding our economy from unfair traders and undocumented immigrants, rather than joining together for the common good. We owe nothing to one another as citizens of the same society.

On Tuesday we'll decide whether these should be the guiding principles of America.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/romneyism_b_2069095.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 09:43 am
@snood,
When Romney has so many like-minded idiots voting for him, it's no wonder our country is in stress.
LionTamerX

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 05:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
quote:

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch

Everybody searching for any scrap of news about election tomorrow.plenty of straws to grasp for Romney, probably not enough.

Looks like the fat lady is singing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 10:39 pm
Monday, Nov 5, 2012 09:49 PM EST
Monday evening update: Nate Silver pushes Obama’s chances above 90 percent

UPDATED: A 10:05 p.m. Silver update has pushed Obama’s chances of re-election to 92.2 percent, with 315.3 electoral votes.

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/06/monday_evening_update_nate_silver_pushes_obamas_chances_above_90_percent/
JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:09 am
Final Intrade prediction Obama 303/235
http://electoralmap.net/2012/intrade.php
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:12 am
@snood,
From your link...
Quote:
Silver has turned Florida blue. He has Obama as a 52.5 percent favorite there. Obama is also favored to take Virginia (80.3 percent), Colorado (80.3 percent), Ohio (91.2 percent), New Hampshire (84.9 percent) and Iowa (85 percent).

FL will be interesting. The bookies have them at 68.8% red. Fortunately, if the rest of the states hold then FL doesn't get to become FL again this year no matter how hard they're trying.
snood

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:42 am
@JPB,
Tuesday morning update: Obama still over 90 percent in Nate Silver survey

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/06/tuesday_morning_update_obama_still_over_90_percent_in_nate_silver_survey/
JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:59 am
@snood,
From your link...

Quote:
* Chuck Todd should simmer down. The NBC political director has been obsessed with a 269-269 Electoral College tie, which would throw the election into the House, and likely to Romney. Silver says there is only a 0.2 percent chance of that happening.

AMEN!

I used to watch Morning Joe and then Chuck Todd. MJ was where I saw the discussion about media's responsibility in keeping the masses engaged. Chuck Todd used to have a head on his shoulders. I turned off the television and have been a much happier person ever since.
parados

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 08:37 am
@snood,
Larry Lindsey this morning switched his prediction from Obama to Romney. He suddenly decided all the polls were over counting democrats as likely voters. It made me wonder if he got the memo on how the GOP was going to cheat today. Luckily, they need too many states to make that likely.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 09:14 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Chuck Todd used to have a head on his shoulders.

Yes, I had the same thought recently, I forget what precipitated it. But I used to appreciate Chuck Todd's take on things, he's gone in a weird direction.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 09:34 am
@snood,
Im simply amazed and impressed how the various "Admen" responsible for peddling their respective candidates hve actully enabled the nation to be split apart politically with two divergent worldviews that arise from two separate plains of reality. Its fuckin amazing how, the Obama record has been besmirched in a fashion that , were Romney the incumbent, his party would be celebrating these accomplishments from rooftops.

This has actually put Obama on somewhat of a defensive and he has no reason to be so. Its fascinating marketing to see how people are manipulated, then they accept, and finally the absorb it as a core beleif.
Dems have their phony worldviews too, its just that, in 2012, duplicity and lying has been taken to a high art by the Romney campaign.

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 10:08 am
@sozobe,
soz, I'm seeing a bunch of left-wing posts on FB about the Ohio Sec'y of State trying to swing the election to Romney by negating legal ballots via a last minute directive. This is after the new voting machine software deal from last week.

Is there real concern about this in OH or is this a gotta-keep-em-nervous media thing?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 10:59 am
@farmerman,
That's not the only problem; I've seen nobody of their ilk challenge the things they've been doing during this campaign about voter suppression, lies after lies, and turning history on its head.

Makes you wonder what the republican party is all about? They're strangers to ethics, fairness, good citizenship, and cooperation.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 11:38 am
@JPB,
I'm monitoring that too. The most authoritative link I've seen so far is Bill Moyers, but he's more in the "trying to" column than "this will happen."

Husted is an asshole, that much is certain. (He's been throwing monkey wrench after monkey wrench in the gears, so far to no avail.)
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 11:42 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
Husted’s staff say that his order is an attempt to comply with a recent court decree pertaining to ID for provisional ballots. But voter advocates say Husted’s order actually goes against the decree, which sought “to ensure no provisional ballot is disqualified when a poll worker fails to complete her designated portion of the envelope.” Voter advocates also suggest that it is in direct conflict with Ohio election law, which states, “the appropriate local election official shall record the type of identification provided.” Voter advocates and the Democratic Party filed a suit against Husted late Friday evening, asking for further clarification from the court.

I think it's likely that this is just another one of his monkey wrenches, that will be rebuffed. That's some context that might help, he keeps trying this ****, but hasn't managed to do any real damage yet.

http://billmoyers.com/2012/11/06/ohio-provisional-ballot-order-could-delay-election-results/#more-16583
0 Replies