ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-02/bowles-simpson-deficit-cutting-proposal-is-within-one-vote-of-rejection.html

Quote:
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, a Democrat, incoming House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, a Republican, said they will vote against the plan tomorrow. Andy Stern, former president of the Service Employees International Union, also will vote no, said spokeswoman Christine Bonanno. Earlier, Representatives Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, and Jan Schakowsky, an Illinois Democrat, said they were opposed.

Quote:
Other proposal backers are by Senator Judd Gregg, a New Hampshire Republican; Senator Kent Conrad, a North Dakota Democrat; David Cote, chairman of Honeywell International Inc.; Ann Fudge, former chief executive officer of Young & Rubicam Inc.; former Congressional Budget Office Director Alice Rivlin, along with Bowles, a former chief of staff to President Bill Clinton, and Simpson, a former Republican senator from Wyoming.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-14/in-praise-still-and-again-of-simpson-bowles.html (I found this an interesting read)

Quote:
Twelve of the commission’s 18 members were appointed equally among Democrats and Republicans in Congress and six were named by the president, including Simpson and Bowles.

Quote:
In April 2012, a bipartisan group of House lawmakers sought to resurrect the plan, though their proposal was overwhelmingly defeated. House Republicans moved away from their “no-new-taxes” stance and embraced pro-growth tax reforms (without specifics) and passed Ryan’s 2011 multiyear debt-reduction plan.

Senator Kent Conrad, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Budget Committee and a Simpson-Bowles member, introduced the commission’s report as his panel’s budget blueprint for a Senate vote. Senate leaders again deferred voting on a federal budget until after the 2012 election. A frustrated Conrad said: “We are facing a fiscal train wreck at the end of this year. It is time to move off of fixed positions.”

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

The 2011 Simpson-Bowles report

It's just the same warmed-over GOP message, repeated as a panacea for all problems, no matter what they look like: lower taxes, everything will be great!

bi-partisan committee, but it's the GOP message?

in that case, the Democrats are in more of a mess than I'd thought
ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

So, yeah. You're totally wrong on this one. However, I have quite often seen right-wingers bring this up over the years without acknowledging this fact, because the recommendations of the report (which was authored in large part by fiscal conservatives) match their own policy goals.

so Conrad brought it back because ... ?

Quote:
Senator Kent Conrad, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Budget Committee and a Simpson-Bowles member, introduced the commission’s report as his panel’s budget blueprint for a Senate vote.

April 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/17/news/economy/bowles-simpson/index.htm
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

in that case, the Democrats are in more of a mess than I'd thought

Yes, that's correct. Conservative Democrats often parrot the 'no new taxes, ever' line that the GOP takes. Especially Clinton-era Dems, who are little more than Republican-lite.

Cycloptichorn

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:33 pm
I don't follow U.S. politics as closely as I do the politics in some other countries, but really it often seems like one team playing skins and shirts just so there will be a game.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:33 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

So, yeah. You're totally wrong on this one. However, I have quite often seen right-wingers bring this up over the years without acknowledging this fact, because the recommendations of the report (which was authored in large part by fiscal conservatives) match their own policy goals.

so Conrad brought it back because ... ?

Quote:
Senator Kent Conrad, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Budget Committee and a Simpson-Bowles member, introduced the commission’s report as his panel’s budget blueprint for a Senate vote.

April 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/17/news/economy/bowles-simpson/index.htm

... because he's a somewhat Conservative Dem who supported the thing in the first place. But that doesn't invalidate my original statement in the slightest.

And, to be clear, Simpson-Bowles plan is far preferable to the execrable and foolish Ryan budget. It's a downright sane alternative when compared to the one the GOP house was pushing.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Kinda supports my impression that the two parties are disturbingly similar when it comes down to it.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
@ehBeth,
other than the god / abortion thing, they are strikingly similar.

except during campaign season when the pull out whatever cards it takes to win re-election...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
But that doesn't invalidate my original statement in the slightest.

I think it supports McG's read of a number of Obama supporters.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 05:46 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

That we are 'mindless robots?' We're simply going to have to disagree on that one, then. The fact that a few Conservative members of the Dem party occasionally agree with Republicans on certain policies doesn't mean that the rest of us who don't, don't have very good arguments for why we don't.

And I don't get a lot of traction when asking the opposing side to discuss the liberal sides of arguments either, I must say. It's hardly a one-way street.

I would also add that his 'read' on us Obama supporters isn't especially supported by the fact that he has a habit of accusing people of not reading articles that he clearly hasn't read himself, and presenting information that he doesn't really know anything about. The first thing I would have done before discussing Simpson-Bowles on A2K would have been to hit Wikipedia and read up on it some. But he couldn't be bothered to do that, and then doubled down on the Derp when I called him on it.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

That we are 'mindless robots?' We're simply going to have to disagree on that one, then. The fact that a few Conservative members of the Dem party occasionally agree with Republicans on certain policies doesn't mean that the rest of us who don't, don't have very good arguments for why we don't.

And I don't get a lot of traction when asking the opposing side to discuss the liberal sides of arguments either, I must say. It's hardly a one-way street.

I would also add that his 'read' on us Obama supporters isn't especially supported by the fact that he has a habit of accusing people of not reading articles that he clearly hasn't read himself, and presenting information that he doesn't really know anything about. The first thing I would have done before discussing Simpson-Bowles on A2K would have been to hit Wikipedia and read up on it some. But he couldn't be bothered to do that, and then doubled down on the Derp when I called him on it.

Cycloptichorn

You were correct in that it was not released by the committee due to not getting a super majority of 14 votes. But the report was created and it was released. It does not change the facts and does not invalidate my point that they also thought the same way that Romney does. The whole point of my post was to show that revelette's post was completely wrong. A post not one single person other then me has commented on. But look at all the attention the rebuttal has gotten!

When you state "That's as far as I needed to read to know that I was looking at some bullshit." Why would I expect that you had read it?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:11 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

When you state "That's as far as I needed to read to know that I was looking at some bullshit." Why would I expect that you had read it?

Oh, I dunno, maybe because I went on to talk in that same post about the authors quoting Rasmussen and the Simpson-Bowles report, things I couldn't possibly have known without reading the article?

You say that the point of your post was to show that Revel's post was 'completely wrong.' In the first line of your rebuttal post, you wrote:

Quote:
Lets look in on the experts and what they have to say...

But, the people you quoted have no more expertise in this matter than the person who wrote the post Rev linked to. And several of them represent companies and industries who just happen to profit mightily if the tax code in question were changed in their favor. I think it's perfectly appropriate to point this out, and to point out that the people you were quoting don't represent any official commission or body of knowledge at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And how many years have you released your tax records for?

If you expect someone else to do it, you should be willing to do the same thing.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:37 pm
@mysteryman,
Is Cy running for public office?

I musta missed the announcement...

Rolling Eyes
mysteryman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:40 pm
@Rockhead,
It seems to me that anyone that wants anyone else to release their tax returns, for any reason, should also be willing to do the same thing.
Otherwise its pure hypocrisy.

So, if cy isnt willing to release his returns, then he shouldnt demand anyone else do it.
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:41 pm
@mysteryman,
Release our tax records to whom? Our returns are released to the IRS. Seeing that none of us are running for public office, what would anyone else want with them? Politicians are appropriately scrutinized as they are in charge of the public's taxes and trust. Why would you think otherwise?

As Harry Truman said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:43 pm
@mysteryman,
anyone that runs for public office, especially the office of president of the country, is obligated to come under closer scrutiny.

it's just common sense...

you do understand common sense?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Most members of Congress keep their tax returns secret

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Rep. Nancy Pelosi was emphatic. Mitt Romney’s refusal to release more than two years of his personal tax returns, she said, makes him unfit to win confirmation as a member of the president’s Cabinet, let alone to hold the high office himself.

Sen. Harry Reid went farther: Romney’s refusal to make public more of his tax records makes him unfit to be a dogcatcher.

They do not, however, think that standard of transparency should apply to them. The two Democratic leaders of the Senate and the House of Representatives are among hundreds of senators and representatives from both parties who refused to release their tax records. Just 17 out of the 535 members of Congress released their most recent tax forms or provided some similar documentation of their tax liabilities in response to requests from McClatchy over the last three months. Another 19 replied that they wouldn’t release the information, and the remainder never responded to the query.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 06:53 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

And how many years have you released your tax records for?

If you expect someone else to do it, you should be willing to do the same thing.

Well, as others have pointed out, I'm not running for office. But, if you like, I'll make a PDF of a copy of my tax records for the last few years, with my name blurred out, and send it to you. I've sure got nothing to hide.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The committee may have been bi-partisan, but the message is not. That's because there is no message from the Bowles-Simpson commission, as Cycloptichorn pointed out in his first paragraph. There is only a report co-authored by Mr. Bowles and Mr. Simpson; it failed to carry the committee's vote. There is no "Report of the Bowles-Simpson Commission".
Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:21 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
So, if cy isnt willing to release his returns, then he shouldnt demand anyone else do it.

. . . or he shouldn't run for the most powerful public office in the world.
0 Replies