THIS DAY IN HISTORY Democrats filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:52 pm
http://www.danegerus.com/weblog/Comments.asp?svComment=25622

Quote:

On this day in 1964, Everett Dirksen (R-IL), the Republican Leader in the U.S. Senate, condemned the Democrats' 57-day filibuster against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Leading the Democrats in their opposition to civil rights for African-Americans was Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV). Byrd, who got into politics as a recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan, spoke against the bill for fourteen straight hours. Democrats still call Robert Byrd "the conscience of the Senate."

In his speech, Senator Dirksen called on the Democrats to end their filibuster and accept racial equality.

http://www.danegerus.com/weblog/images/9162007_democrats_then_and_now.jpg

raprap

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 05:31 pm
http://martinisatthebluemax.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/gop-cartoon.gif?w=640
gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 07:03 pm
@raprap,
You really want to go there, RUPRUP?? I mean, I'm not the world's top expert on either of those topics but I clearly know more about them than anybody else on A2K has ever shown any signs of, and both of those things are ideological doctrines which are not supported by any sort of facts or decent logic.
raprap

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 09:44 pm
@gungasnake,
Yeppur Ganja!---lets see what AmerikanThumper 'spurt you want to trot out---I'll bet its a doozer.

Rap
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 09:47 pm
@gungasnake,
"but I clearly know more"

clearly...?

yeah, right.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:32 pm
gunga says:
Quote:
I'm not the world's top expert on either of those topics but I clearly know more about them than anybody else on A2K has ever shown any signs of

ROFLMAO
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Gugasmoke is , as usual, sporting some pieces of truth but not all of it.
The Dems (in the personage of the Dixiecrats) were behind the filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of both 57 and 64. However, in 64, the Dems also brokered the cloture of the filibuster, which, pretty much under leadership of Humphrey , resulted in the passage of the Act. In doing so, the GOP inherited the "Dixiecrats" and Johnson himself said that the Dems will "lose the south for two generations" (its going on three.None other than Strom Thurmond was the poster child of the Dem who became a GOP (and follower of Barry Goldwater for "president" in 64) . It was the time when "Conservative Republican" became the code word for "Racist". I was 14 at the time ad was living the crap of the rising conservative movement.

We learn from history, we dont, as guga wants us to believe, relive it every day.
raprap

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:11 pm
@farmerman,
The easiest way to tell a lie and get away with it--is to tell some of the truth.

Yes the Dixiecrats filibustered, but with the help of 'progressive' Republicans like Dirkson, Stevenson, Taft, Rockefeller, Scranton and Lodge, Johnson prevailed and the Civil Rights Act Passed finally finishing what Truman started when the military was integrated in 48 and Eisenhower finished in the 50's.

The sad thing about the whole matter is when the Dixiecrats abandoned the Democrats and became Republicans they made the GOP uncomfortable for the progressive wing of their own party. It seems that the Republican progressives was lost when John Anderson ran against Reagan in the Primaries and the rise of the supposed 'Moral Majority.'

Today it has become acceptable to deride any 'progressive' or 'blue dog' Republicans within their own ranks as RINOs.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:28 pm
@raprap,
BAck in the ays of reconstruction , the GOP was most of the progressive arm of politics. guga wants to embrace Lincoln as "his" party's product but fails to recall the metamorphosis that all politics has gone through over the centuries.
Yep, my advice is to live in the today guga,he is arguing this point like he argues evolution theory and biology, from out of his ass.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:36 pm
@gungasnake,
The absurd notion that the GOP saved the Civil Rights Act, at the same time that their candidate for president, Barry Goldwater, was running on a states-rights, anti-civil-rights platform, has been effectively punctured here by Farmerman. I'm more interested in this fascinating graphic:

gungasnake wrote:
http://www.danegerus.com/weblog/images/9162007_democrats_then_and_now.jpg

It's like a message in a bottle inside another bottle. Evidently created in 2007, when Hillary Clinton was still regarded as the likely Democratic nominee in 2008, it shows a Confederate in 1861 holding up a sign for Vallandingham. Weird! That must be a reference to Clement Vallandingham, Ohio member of congress and notorious copperhead. But why is a Confederate (note the flag emblem on the hat) supporting a northern congressman? Wouldn't Jefferson Davis have been a better choice, both politically and artistically? Furthermore, why is support for an Ohio congressman in 1861 comparable to support for a presidential candidate in 2007? And why is Gunga dredging up a five-year-old cartoon to illustrate his point today? Aren't conservatives drawing cartoons any more?

There are layers here, people. Lots of layers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 02:10 am
Yeah, Gunga knows history to about the same extent that he knows dinosaurs walked the earth with man, or that the Bosnian Serbs were innocent, hapless victims of Clinton.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:01 am
Before getting into evoloserism or anything like that, a couple of words about the question of viewing health care as some sort of a civil right... First as it applies to normal people and then as it might apply to the young prostitute who recently was claiming that the government owed her money for birth control pills....

For normal people: With the possible exception of children in need of food, there is no such thing as a right to other people's money. What you DO have a right to since Theodore Roosevelt (a Republican), is to not have the costs of basic life necessities being determined by monopolies and trusts. The most major such trust whose activities double or triple your cost for medicines is the trial lawyers' guild and they get away with it by being one of the two or three major pillars of financial support for the demoKKKrat party, which is the primary source of all but a few of our governmental problems.

For the young whore: Being a whore is like anything else, if that's what you have in mind to be, you should try to be the best at it which you're capable of. Somewhere along the line, that should have translated into at least one high school or college course in practical whoring rather than just libtard self esteem courses. In particular, doing it with fifty or a hundred guys DOES NOT require fifty or a hundred times the number of birth control pills. A normal month's supply of BC pills is a ten or fifteen dollar item at Walmart and you're highly likely to be damaging your health by taking any more than that.

revelette

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:06 am
@farmerman,
Interesting.

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:39 am
@gungasnake,
Are you ranting about the Georgetown Law Student, Ganja? She is only a 'whore' in the mind of the drug addled Limbutt.

As for Teddy Roosevelt, its a good thing he is almost a hundred years dead, because a true eloquent, intellectual and progressive Republican would be a much needed breath of fresh air at todays Tea Party. Unfortunately, if he were alive and active today he'd be considered a RINO.

Rap
gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:05 am
@raprap,
When somebody claims to need $3K/year for birth control pills, I think most people will ASSUME she's a whore and also that she is somehow under some sort of a false impression of the need for BC pills scaling linearly...

You have some other sort of a theory?
gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:11 am
@raprap,
In today's world, Harry Truman, Hubert Humphrey, Adlai Stevenson, and I suspect even FDR would be Republicans if for no other reason than that they wouldn't be able to stomach the Gaea-worship ****.

Any stupid son of a bitch who were to have ever walked up to FDR and said the first word about dynamiting any sort of a dam or hydroelectric plant or any sort of human infrastructure at all for that matter for the sake of lizards, salmon, or delta smelts, would have been summarily taken out behind the barn and shot through the head.
parados

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:24 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

When somebody claims to need $3K/year for birth control pills, I think most people will ASSUME she's a whore and also that she is somehow under some sort of a false impression of the need for BC pills scaling linearly...

You have some other sort of a theory?

Since MOST people are women and since MOST women understand that birth control pills don't make anyone a whore your statement seems false. Then we can start to count the male Drs and other health care professionals that would know that isn't true. Then we start to get to the many men that have dated women that take birth control while knowing that woman isn't a whore.

We are left with only people that have never dated a woman or treated one or is a woman that would possibly think what you claim the majority think gunga.

That leaves us with some questions about you gunga.
Have you ever dated a woman?
If you have dated a woman was she on birth control pills?
If you dated a woman and she was on birth control pills did you consider her a whore?

Are you currently married to a whore?
revelette

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:41 am
@parados,
His statement if false in any event. Sandra Fluke said BC can cost 3,000 a year. Not that it cost her 3000 a year. She was speaking of a friend who had an ovary removed because she couldn't afford the BC pill needed to stop the cyst growing on her ovaries.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:42 am
@gungasnake,
OK Ganja, If you want to play shoulda coulda woulda I would seriously doubt that Goldwater would be welcome in todays GOP. Granted I don't think he would be a Democrat, but Barry was much too libertarian for todays Tea Party dominionists and Faux dominated intellectual midgets.

As for the $3K--if you actually listened to something beside Limbutt's lame diatribes you'd realize that Sandra Fluke's congressional testimony involved the medical uses of contraceptive hormone treatment for something beside birth control.

As for rehashing Limbutt's tired and worn ad homeneims you've just reminded me of how old, worn and ignorant his (and by extension your) political positions really are.

So run up and down and scream 'FISH' as loud as you can Ganja. You can, at best, only provide entertainment. Today is my turn to be entertained.

Rap
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 11:03 am
@parados,
Quote:
Since MOST people are women and since MOST women understand that birth control pills don't make anyone a whore your statement seems false

Spending 100 - 200 usd a year on them doesn't make anybody a whore, you're right. Spending 3000 usd a year on them makes somebody a whore and worse than that, it makes them a STUPID whore who thinks the need for them scales linearly.