33

Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

1  
Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 09:07 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Did you check? It doesn't mention the race - but I thought the exact same thing - I wonder this poor young man is black.

Did I read the actual article that literally shown Somerville's photo in a tweet? Yes. Did I google the judge? A very public figure where Florida votes for every election cycle? Yes.
Linkat

2  
Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 09:13 am
tsarstepan wrote:

Linkat wrote:

I was going to do the same - try to look it up because it sounded that way.

I could not view the photo (some odd things get blocked on my PC) as it is blocked on my PC.

1  
Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 03:34 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The ironic thing is I am reading this book right now that is about a black nurse being charged with murder during her work as nurse a baby died

Is it the book where the people who are suing her are white supremacists?

Is the judge a known racist?

I guess there's no way of knowing how the judge would have treated a 21 year old white guy who couldn't be bothered to set his alarm for jury duty and held up the works for 45 minutes. Unless that already has happened, and the white guy got a lesser punishment.

I can't get caught up in "well I'll bet it's because xyz, yeah, that must be it"

Don't have any sympathy for the guy. He couldn't be bothered with a whole laundry list of things, and to me it had nothing to do with his race. It's just another young guy with a crappy attitude.

It's called Jury "Duty", not Jury "I'll come in if I wake up on time and I guess it's not important to tell anyone what happened because I can't be bothered to make a phone call"

If I were the judge and my courtroom was held up for 45 minutes because a juror overslept then decided it was more important to go to his job in the afternoon, he would sure AF be jailed. 10 days? Sure, why not? Probation and community service? Yep.

Actions have consequences, and considering the blatant disregard this young man had for the entire court system, I don't see where any of this is excessive.

Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:46 am
@chai2,
The book - no the judge was not racist and the nurse was not being sued - she was on trial for murder, however, the parents of the baby were white supremacists.

It is always difficult to know if this screams racist or not. The penalty definitely far outweighs what the crime was - however, we don't know how this young man acted when the judge addressed him on this. It could be the judge threw the book at him because this young man did not take any of it seriously - could have talked back, etc. --- just on the surface it smells like racism. But honestly one cannot fully determine without being there.

Linkat

2  
Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:49 am
Palm City man accused of enticing alligator to bite him, pouring beer in its mouth

Hobe Sound man is accused of enticing an alligator to bite his arm and pouring beer into the reptile's mouth after his friend caught the animal.

In August, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission got a complaint about Kepke holding an alligator and enticing the reptile to bite his right forearm and then pouring beer in the animal's mouth.

After the beer is poured, the alligator aggressively reacts. The interaction was filmed.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/crime/martin-county/2019/10/07/hobe-sound-man-accused-pouring-beer-into-alligators-mouth/3898854002/