Odd, strange, or bizarre news stories from Florida

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 09:07 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Did you check? It doesn't mention the race - but I thought the exact same thing - I wonder this poor young man is black.

Did I read the actual article that literally shown Somerville's photo in a tweet? Yes. Did I google the judge? A very public figure where Florida votes for every election cycle? Yes.
Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 09:13 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Linkat wrote:

Did you check? It doesn't mention the race - but I thought the exact same thing - I wonder this poor young man is black.

Did I read the actual article that literally shown Somerville's photo in a tweet? Yes. Did I google the judge? A very public figure where Florida votes for every election cycle? Yes.

I was going to do the same - try to look it up because it sounded that way.

I could not view the photo (some odd things get blocked on my PC) as it is blocked on my PC.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 03:34 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

The ironic thing is I am reading this book right now that is about a black nurse being charged with murder during her work as nurse a baby died

Is it the book where the people who are suing her are white supremacists?

Is the judge a known racist?

I guess there's no way of knowing how the judge would have treated a 21 year old white guy who couldn't be bothered to set his alarm for jury duty and held up the works for 45 minutes. Unless that already has happened, and the white guy got a lesser punishment.

I can't get caught up in "well I'll bet it's because xyz, yeah, that must be it"

Don't have any sympathy for the guy. He couldn't be bothered with a whole laundry list of things, and to me it had nothing to do with his race. It's just another young guy with a crappy attitude.

It's called Jury "Duty", not Jury "I'll come in if I wake up on time and I guess it's not important to tell anyone what happened because I can't be bothered to make a phone call"

If I were the judge and my courtroom was held up for 45 minutes because a juror overslept then decided it was more important to go to his job in the afternoon, he would sure AF be jailed. 10 days? Sure, why not? Probation and community service? Yep.

Actions have consequences, and considering the blatant disregard this young man had for the entire court system, I don't see where any of this is excessive.

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:46 am
@chai2,
The book - no the judge was not racist and the nurse was not being sued - she was on trial for murder, however, the parents of the baby were white supremacists.

It is always difficult to know if this screams racist or not. The penalty definitely far outweighs what the crime was - however, we don't know how this young man acted when the judge addressed him on this. It could be the judge threw the book at him because this young man did not take any of it seriously - could have talked back, etc. --- just on the surface it smells like racism. But honestly one cannot fully determine without being there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:49 am
Palm City man accused of enticing alligator to bite him, pouring beer in its mouth

Hobe Sound man is accused of enticing an alligator to bite his arm and pouring beer into the reptile's mouth after his friend caught the animal.

In August, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission got a complaint about Kepke holding an alligator and enticing the reptile to bite his right forearm and then pouring beer in the animal's mouth.

After the beer is poured, the alligator aggressively reacts. The interaction was filmed.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/crime/martin-county/2019/10/07/hobe-sound-man-accused-pouring-beer-into-alligators-mouth/3898854002/
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 09:07 am
He had sex with an Olaf stuffed toy inside a Target, cops say. He didn’t stop there.

Cody Meader, 20, was hit with a criminal mischief charge after allegedly getting a little too friendly with a “Frozen” stuffed toy.

Meader strolled into a Pinellas Park Target on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. With lust in his eyes, he headed straight toward a display of Disney Frozen merchandise. The St. Petersburg resident surveyed his options before selecting a large stuffed Olaf the snowman.

That’s when the unthinkable happened.

“[Meader] then proceeded to lay it on the floor and ‘dry hump’ the item,” the arrest affidavit says.

The defilement of the animated character didn’t stop there.

“He ejaculated onto the merchandise before placing it back on display,” the affidavit continued.

But Meader wasn’t done yet. Deputies say he picked out another stuffed animal, this time a unicorn, and repeated the process.

Meader was eventually detained and taken to Pinellas County jail. He posted his $150 bond later that day.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article236652848.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 03:12 am

https://imgur.com/8aibM6e.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 09:03 am
Who Owns Florida's Wisteria Island, A Developer Or The Government? Judge To Decide
https://imgur.com/JqKYCT6.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 06:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Florida man complains after dialysis center prevents him from bringing Trump cutout to treatment
https://imgur.com/7nLw8lK.jpg
chai2

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 07:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I worked a good bit of my career for a dialysis corporation. At times my office was situated inside a clinic. I could totally see this happening.

What I would do if I were a nurse, I'd "accidently" get someone elses blood on the cutout. That way, it becomes a biohazard and out it goes.

Whoops, that darn fistula started bleeding, I just was just a little too late putting pressure on it.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 08:29 am
6-year-old arrested by Florida cop tearfully asks for second chance

A police officer's body camera shows a 6-year-old Florida girl crying and begging officers not to arrest her as one fastens zip ties around her wrists at a charter school.

The video that Kaia Rolle's family shared with the Orlando Sentinel and other media outlets Monday shows the girl being arrested in September for kicking and punching staff members at her Orlando charter school.

"What are those for?" Kaia asks about the zip ties in the video.

"They're for you," Officer Dennis Turner says before another officer tightens them around her wrists and Kaia begins weeping

"Help me. Help me, please!" Kaia pleads through tears.

As she is being walked to the vehicle, she cries, "I don't want to go in a police car."

The second officer, who has not been identified, responds, "You don't want to? ... You have to."

"Please, give me a second chance," Kaia says.

The video shows the officer lifting the sobbing girl into the back seat of the police vehicle and putting a seat belt around her.

For full article

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/25/body-cam-footage-former-florida-cop-dennis-turner-arrests-6-year-old/4872549002/
chai2

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 08:35 am
@Linkat,
Well, I guess she won't be assaulting anyone else anytime soon.

Seriously, the school called the police. Was this the first time she ever assaulted anyone?
Yes she's six, but I don't see how this is anything but a good lesson in accountability and consequences.

This may have actually charged the course of her life in a positive way.
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 09:31 am
@chai2,
Without knowing any of full details - it is tough to determine if this is a bit overboard.

But if this child is so disruptive and has been previously - shouldn't she be put in a different school situation? The last thing teachers need to do is try to handle a child that is hitting and so forth.

Having a six year old arrested seems extreme if this was a one time acting out. I'd just put her in a room by herself and remove anything you do not want destroyed - call her parents.

I think it is tough for public schools if you are overcrowded and have a huge discipline problem. Your job as a school is to teach - not to teach how to behave in normal society - if they haven't learned that at home it puts a school in a tough situation.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 09:33 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

This may have actually charged the course of her life in a positive way.

WTF? No, seriously. WTF?! We can only hope she hasn't been inflicted with PTSD.

Misdemeanor battery ain't assault. They're not interchangeable.

Quote:
President of the Orlando Fraternal Order of Police Adam Krudo said what is seen in the video is a “lapse of judgment on the part of Dennis Turner,” the TV station reported.

And for a union president to criticize instead of devoutly defend Turner (as police unions are oft to do)? That's really big in favor of the child.

Quote:
Turner was fired after an internal investigation by the Orlando Police Department.

Rolle's grandmother, Meralyn Kirkland, told CBS affiliate WKMG-TV that the first-grader at Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy was acting out in class, a side effect of a lack of sleep because she suffers from sleep apnea.
"As a grandfather, I can understand how traumatic this was for everyone involved," Chief Orlando Rolón said in September, adding that he reminded officers that department policy prohibits the arrest of juveniles without a manager's approval.

Source
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 10:15 am
@tsarstepan,
If a teacher can't control a six year old they shouldn't be teaching.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 12:25 pm
Woman accused of leaving her boyfriend in a suitcase to die

WINTER PARK, Fla. (AP) — Authorities in Florida have arrested a woman accused of zipping her boyfriend into a suitcase, recording his repeated cries for help and leaving him locked inside until he died, according to sheriff’s office documents.

Deputies with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office took Sarah Boone, 42, into custody on second-degree murder charges in the death of Jorge Torres Jr., 42, the agency said in a statement Tuesday.

Boone called 911 Monday afternoon from her Winter Park home and told dispatchers her boyfriend was dead, news outlets reported. Investigators said she claimed they had been drinking the night before and agreed it would be funny if Torres got into the suitcase during a game of hide-and-seek, according to court records obtained by news outlets.

Boone reportedly admitted she zipped Torres into the suitcase, went upstairs to bed and awoke the next morning to find him still inside and unresponsive, the documents alleged.

The sheriff’s office said Boone’s statements didn’t line up with video evidence found on her phone showing a blue suitcase facing downward with Torres trying to free himself. In the video, he called for help and yelled that he couldn’t breathe, authorities said.

Boone could be heard laughing and saying: “That’s what I feel like when you cheat on me,” investigators wrote in the documents.

https://www.boston.com/news/crime/2020/02/26/boyfriend-dies-suitcase
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 01:14 pm
@Linkat,
I read that earlier. Didn't notice it was in FLA.
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2020 01:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I read that earlier. Didn't notice it was in FLA.

Well where else would that come from. Be interesting to see a pix of the couple.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:22 am
Florida woman allegedly left boy alone without food, water for 9 days

A Florida woman was busted for allegedly leaving a boy alone in a filthy home without food, running water or electricity for nine days, according to a new report.

Autumn Lee Beede, 39, of Cantonment, Escambia County, was arrested Saturday on child neglect charges for allegedly leaving the boy unattended in unlivable conditions between Feb. 5 and 14, the Pensacola News-Journal reported.

The boy’s age and relationship to Beede — as well as the address where he was staying — were redacted from an arrest report obtained by the Journal.

An Escambia sheriff’s deputy conducted a welfare check Feb. 14 at the home, according to the report.

A witness told the deputy the boy had asked for water, and when he brought bottles of water to the home, he discovered that the conditions were not suitable for a child.

The deputy noted in his report that there was a “heavy odor of fecal matter” in the home.

The boy told the deputy he’d been living with a man, but that adult was incarcerated on Feb. 5, according to the Journal.

He said the water and electricity had been cut off for about a month due to lack of payment — and he survived by asking friends and neighbors for nourishment, the paper reported.

The child claimed he hadn’t seen Beede since Dec. 23.

The woman did leave pastries for the child on the front porch Feb. 14, but never went inside, according to the report.

She was arrested Saturday, charged with child neglect and booked into the Escambia County jail on a $5,000 bond, the Journal reported. She was released from custody Sunday, court records show.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/03/florida-woman-allegedly-left-boy-alone-without-food-water-for-9-days/
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2020 06:21 am
@Linkat,

Florida city commissioner proposes cure for coronavirus: "hold a blow dryer in front of your face, and inhale"

This jackass's medical field experience was as a paramedic. Just don't rely on this not-cure.