South Africa stops West Bank goods being labeled "made in Israel"

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 11:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
but in furtherance of that desire, Y not call it something entirely different, if thay wanna avoid that confusion ?
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Like what?
I dunno; like anything.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Israelis seems the most logical to me.
Unless you prefer Israelians for some strange reason.
That sounds more mellifluous.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
We call the people of Iraq Iraqis, after all. [Do we call those of Iran Iranians??]
Maybe that 's a principle from their own local language???
It does not sound English. Of course, I recognize the autonomous right
of anyone to call himself whatever he wants.

Chances r that I was probably rong,
but I thawt that maybe thay had been yearning for the good old days.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:46 am
@msolga,
Netanyahu's regime is the most right-wing Israel has ever had, and relies heavily for support on the far-right settler movement.

They are very quick to denounce any criticism of Israel as anti-Semitic, and there's plenty in America that believe that. Introduce them to a real live Nazi, as was the case with South Africa, and they welcome them with open arms.

Quote:
When the South African prime minister John Vorster made a state visit to Israel in April 1976, it began with a tour of Yad Vashem, Israel's major Holocaust memorial, where the late Yitzhak Rabin invited the onetime Nazi collaborator, unabashed racist and white supremacist to pay homage to Jews murdered in the Holocaust.

http://cosmos.ucc.ie/cs1064/jabowen/IPSC/php/event.php?eid=1134

The real danger at the moment is Netanyahu's ideological desire to bomb Iran. This is not only something most of the West wants to avoid, it's not that popular inside Israel itself, and is opposed by many prominent figures inside the Israeli intelligence community.

Quote:
At a public meeting on Friday Diskin, former head of Shin Bet (Israel's MI5), described Netanyahu and Barak as "not fit to hold the steering wheel of power". He went on: "I have observed them from up close … They are not people who I, on a personal level, trust to lead Israel to an event on that scale and carry it off … They tell the public that if Israel acts, Iran won't have a nuclear bomb. This is misleading. Actually, many experts say that an Israeli attack would accelerate the Iranian nuclear race."

Diskin joins a long list of eminent members of the Israeli security establishment who have publicly voiced criticism of, and opposition to, their government's ultra-hawkish line on Iran. In fact, his astonishing attack on his former bosses came just 48 hours after the head of Israel's military, Lieutenant General Benny Gantz, declared that the Iranian leadership had not yet made a decision to build nuclear weapons, that it was unlikely to go this "extra mile", and was composed of "very rational people". "Decisions must be made carefully out of historic responsibility but without hysteria," added Gantz in a not-too-subtle dig at his political masters.

Last month, in an unprecedented move, Meir Dagan, the former head of the Mossad – Israel's foreign intelligence service – took to the airwaves in the US, using an interview with CBS to tell his American audience how a war with Iran would be "devastating" for Israelis because it would "ignite, at least from my point of view, a regional war". (He had earlier described an Israeli attack on Iran as "the stupidest idea I've ever heard".)

Meanwhile, Dagan's predecessor, Efraim Halevy, has said "it is not in the power of Iran to destroy the state of Israel", and that "the growing Haredi radicalisation poses a bigger risk than Ahmadinejad". Then there is the current head of the Mossad, Tamir Pardo, who is said to have told an audience of Israeli diplomats in December that a nuclear-armed Iran would not constitute an "existential threat" to Israel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/29/israel-citizens-dont-want-war-iran?intcmp=239
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:41 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I agree with you re: David. In the US we also say "Day-vid." Butnot "Is-ray-el." That kind of pronunciation would brand a person as ignorant in most other places of the English-speaking world. The name of the country is pronounced just as it is spelled: Is-ra-el. (Ra as in "rah".)

Try watching the BBC, most English speaking countries follow the lead of the English in pronunciation. The spelling means nothing the A in Israel could just as easily be a long or a short A. Consider enough and bough.

David is actually right when he says English spelling is illogical, but his solution is even worse.

I, like most people in the non-American part of the English speaking world pronounce it Is Ray El. However, we don't pronounce the three stand alone syllables quite like that, which sounds rather gutteral and Germanic. The vowels are softened and run together, so even though we say Is Ray El, to an untrained ear it would probably sound like Israil, as in RAILway. The same is true of Tottenham, the vowels are run together, even though we say Tot En Ham it sounds like Tot'nam.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:06 am
@izzythepush,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I agree with you re: David.
In the US we also say "Day-vid." Butnot "Is-ray-el."
That kind of pronunciation would brand a person as ignorant in most other places of the English-speaking world.
The name of the country is pronounced just as it is spelled: Is-ra-el. (Ra as in "rah".)
izzythepush wrote:
Try watching the BBC, most English speaking countries follow the lead of the English in pronunciation.
The spelling means nothing the A in Israel could just as easily be a long or a short A. Consider enough and bough.

David is actually right when he says English spelling is illogical,
but his solution is even worse.
Izzy, u have distorted my position in this matter.
What I said is that English is almost 1OO% fonetic already,
with very few atavistic throwbacks to its Germanic origins.
Those aberrations shud be corrected; e.g. there is no logical reason
to add the letters UGH to the word tho, nor shud any Ls be jabbed
into wud, shud or cud. Evolution has been slow to catch up
with the abandonment of Chaucerian English, but VICTORY IS INEVITABLE. Enuf is enuf.
Fonetic English has gotten a big assist by teenaged texting.

izzythepush wrote:
I, like most people in the non-American part of the English speaking world pronounce it Is Ray El. However, we don't pronounce the three stand alone syllables quite like that, which sounds rather gutteral and Germanic. The vowels are softened and run together, so even though we say Is Ray El, to an untrained ear it would probably sound like Israil, as in RAILway. The same is true of Tottenham, the vowels are run together, even though we say Tot En Ham it sounds like Tot'nam.
I 'm reminded of disputes qua pronunciation of New Orleans,
which has locally been corrupted to sound like (approximately): Naw Lins.
I dearly LOVE the city, with its abundance of gunshops and antique guns. The food is mindblowingly GOOD.
I 've never been treated so well in any other city (except maybe Hong Kong),
but I can't bring myself to join in that vocal corruption.
Lean is not Lin; Orleans is not Orlins. (1 native got mad at me about it.)

David
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It's French, like the phrase En Route, which we pronounce "On Root."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:17 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's French, like the phrase En Route, which we pronounce "On Root."
I know that its French.
I don 't speak that language.
Maybe in French, "lean" is supposed to be lin. I dunno.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 06:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Y not call it something entirely different, if thay wanna avoid that confusion ?

I don't think too many Israelis care if you are confused.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:38 am
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Y not call it something entirely different, if thay wanna avoid that confusion ?
ehBeth wrote:
I don't think too many Israelis care if you are confused.
I have a hunch that a LOT of them
care about what America thinks about Israel.

David
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Why is it ok for Israel to have the atom bomb but no one else in the middle east? If the thought is that they are more rational than perhaps you should read some of the news about the Isralie settlers shooting at innocent palistans while their army units stand by protecting them from retalitation. Stealing palistainan land and blatant murder has become a way of life for them. But all you hear about in the U.S. is the pal rockets and bombs because the media is controlled by isralies. If you want the truth read something other than U.S. media.
Foofie

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:49 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Well, I agree that Israel is making very wrong decisions about the occupation, particularly in allowing ongoing settlement by radical right wing Jews, and I don't think it just radical left wingers who think so.

I think this is a very interesting move for a number of obvious historical reasons.

Don't you mean "radical right wing" Israelis? Jews includes those of Hebrew persuasian in the U.S., Britain, France, etc., etc. The statement could imply that all Jews are really Israelis incognito? No wonder so many Jews believe that anti-Semitism is so endemic to western peoples, with such flippant statements. Naturally, the right wing Israelis are Jews; however, by the phraseology used, someone that is easily confused could think that all Jews are Israelis. And, right wing to boot. See my point?
Foofie

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 12:56 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

That response is SOP for Israel, though. I think everyone expected it. What was kind of funny to me was that they thought he was Jewish and so accused him of the left wing thing rather than the normal anti-Semitic schtick that Israeli authorities

Are you authorized to use Yiddishisms, such as "schtick"? I do not think so. As penance you should eat one BLT with mayo on whitebread.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:01 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Why is it ok for Israel to have the atom bomb but no one else in the middle east? If the thought is that they are more rational than perhaps you should read some of the news about the Isralie settlers shooting at innocent palistans while their army units stand by protecting them from retalitation. Stealing palistainan land and blatant murder has become a way of life for them. But all you hear about in the U.S. is the pal rockets and bombs because the media is controlled by isralies. If you want the truth read something other than U.S. media.

They might have had it early on, due to the fact that many of the physicists on the Manhattan project were of Hebrew persuasian. As Hitler supposedly was paraphrased to say, when he was warned by advisors, that after the war Germany will be 100 years behind in physics, because all the German Jews are leaving Germany, "So what, physics is a Jewish science anyway."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:05 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

I agree with you re: David. In the US we also say "Day-vid." Butnot "Is-ray-el." That kind of pronunciation would brand a person as ignorant in most other places of the English-speaking world. The name of the country is pronounced just as it is spelled: Is-ra-el. (Ra as in "rah".)

Try watching the BBC, most English speaking countries follow the lead of the English in pronunciation. The spelling means nothing the A in Israel could just as easily be a long or a short A. Consider enough and bough.

David is actually right when he says English spelling is illogical, but his solution is even worse.

Since the name came from the Old Testament, wouldn't the "correct" pronouniation be the way it is said in Hebrew, "Duh-veed"?

Or, am I being too presumptuous to think that other languages have hegemony over the name, like Christianity is now the known version of the Judaism that Jesus practiced?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:10 pm
@RABEL222,
You're preaching to the converted.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:14 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Since the name came from the Old Testament, wouldn't the "correct" pronouniation be the way it is said in Hebrew, "Duh-veed"?

Perhaps, but we pronounce Munchen Munich, and Roma Rome, so that's about par for the course.

How does London sound in Hebrew?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 01:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Lundinium is how the Romans said it and York was Erboricum.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Like this probably: לונדון

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/london.jpg

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 03:47 pm
@Foofie,
It's not just Israeli Jews who support ongoing occupation and settlement. Nor, indeed, is it just Jews.

And yes, I can use schtick.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:02 pm
@Foofie,
izzythepush wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Since the name came from the Old Testament, wouldn't the "correct" pronouniation
be the way it is said in Hebrew, "Duh-veed"?
Does that mean that it was a MISTAKE,
to have spelled it: David ???
Foofie

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 12:40 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Perhaps, but we pronounce Munchen Munich, and Roma Rome, so that's about par for the course.

I have no idea. I speak English as a New Yawker.
0 Replies