Jimmy Carter calls For Moderates on Abortion in the Democratic Party

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 05:43 pm
Former President Jimmy Carter was recently quoted as saying that the Democratic Party has been hurt at the polls for its vehement pro-choice views on abortion.
The issue hurts the Party with liberal Catholics and Latino voters who otherwise may vote Democratic. President Carter also, concluded that he "Could never believe that Jesus Christ would support abortion."
The Democratic Platform currently contains language to allow taxpayer funding of abortion. National polls have consistently demonstrated that most Americans do not support the government paying for abortion. In fact, a February 2012 Quinnipiac University poll (national sample of 2,605 registered voters, margin of error
±1.9 percentage points) found that nearly thirty percent of Americans would not vote for a candidate with whom they disagreed on abortion but agreed on other issues. The Democratic Platform language should be inclusive and endorse the views of all Democrats.
This will resurrect the Blue Dog Democrat in the South and Southwest enabling us to have a solid majority in the Congress. Remember, it was the Democratic Party that gave us Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and a living wage...

Please support the Democrats For Life of America by signing the petition below

http://www.ipetition...tition/bigtent/
Article on Abortion and Jimmy Carter's new beliefs.
http://nation.foxnew...r-tune-abortion

Rockhead

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 05:46 pm
@TheIndependentLib,
I thought that the republicans owned jesus...
snood

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 08:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I thought that the republicans owned jesus...

Ooooh wotta burn!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 09:19 pm
I have the utmost respect for Jimmy Carter. But I still support a woman's right to make her own decision in the matter, for the most part.
roger

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 09:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
And anyway, don't we deserve an issue or two that shows some kind of distinction between parties?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 05:06 am
@roger,
I think the distinctions between parties don't always need to be the tear their throats out variety, but it seems that way, no matter the issue.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 05:39 am
@TheIndependentLib,
I've always considered Jimmy Carter as possibly the most devout 'Christian' POTUS of the ;ast 75 years. The difference between Carter and the supposed Xtian recent Presidents or presidential wannabees, though, is that Carter lives his religion and doesn't use it as a political statement of opportunity.

So, IMHO, if Carter states his faith as a matter of ethics, it carries more weight than say a Bush, a Carter, a Santorum.

Now for my view--abortion is a piss poor method of birth control, but making something illegal is equally ineffective. Moreover, as it is impossible to legislate personal morality the 'total abstinance' stance is equally ineffective (to the point of being 'silly').

As for Carter's statement--he is right. The Democratic Party should recognize this stance as valid and acceptable. Debate and compromise is always politically healthy.

Rap
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 05:48 am
Becoming like the opposition to win votes is the same as becoming one with the opposition, if taken too far. Opponents of abortion make it sound like women abort over and over, but few actually do it even one time.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 09:11 am
@TheIndependentLib,
TheIndependentLib wrote:
In fact, a February 2012 Quinnipiac University poll (national sample of 2,605 registered voters, margin of error
±1.9 percentage points) found that nearly thirty percent of Americans would not vote for a candidate with whom they disagreed on abortion but agreed on other issues.

Yes, and they're called "Republicans."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 09:12 am
Hehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 09:46 am
@raprap,
I'll go along with what you say about Carter. I may never accept him as having been a good President, but he is one of the best ex-Presidents we've ever had. I am not being facetious.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:42 pm
@raprap,
Nice post rap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 01:21 pm
Regardless of anyone's opinion of abortion as a means of birth control, anyone who is old enough to remember the pre-Roe versus Wade days, who has an ounce of compassion in their make-up, would never want to see abortion illegal again. Rich women, of course, would just have to spend more money. Those women who were not sufficiently well off, whose fathers or husbands were brutal enough, or whose religious communities were condemnatory enough to insist they bear a child of rape, or whose financial situation were despatrate enough, could head back to the killing fields of the back alleys.

Christians are supposed to be compassionate, are supposed to be loving and forgiving. That seems to disappear when the issue is abortion. If it's murder to abort a fetus, what is it to die under the knife of a back alley abortionist?
snood

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 01:49 pm
@Setanta,
All Christians are not anti all abortion.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 02:00 pm
@TheIndependentLib,
I’ve always regretted withholding my vote from Carter in 1980…and voting for Ronald Reagan. It was a very selfish and stupid move...which I rationalized as an effort to teach Carter a lesson.

I think he has redeemed himself in the public eye over the years…and I have lots of respect for him.

If he is suggesting, however, that the Democratic Party become less aggressive in its attitude toward a woman having the right to abort should she choose…he is dead wrong.

I understand the concerns of people who oppose abortion, but in my opinion, the Democratic Party has the true high ground on this issue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 02:04 pm
@snood,
Yes, i understand that, but can you tell me what other motivation there is for those who oppose abortion in the United States? Who would you say oppose abortion for any other reason?
engineer

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 08:43 pm
I really don't understand what Carter is advocating for here. There are anti abortion Democrats and they are not hounded out of the party. Some of them even get elected to office as Democrats. I don't see the disconnect. I've never heard of the Democrat going through a public shaming for not being sufficiently strident in supporting abortion.
snood

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 09:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, i understand that, but can you tell me what other motivation there is for those who oppose abortion in the United States? Who would you say oppose abortion for any other reason?

No, you're probably right about that - I really don't know of anyone against (especially anyone rabidly against) abortion except the glaringly religious.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 11:02 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I really don't understand what Carter is advocating for here. There are anti abortion Democrats and they are not hounded out of the party. Some of them even get elected to office as Democrats. I don't see the disconnect. I've never heard of the Democrat going through a public shaming for not being sufficiently strident in supporting abortion.
It's pretty simple. He would like to see the Democratic Party adopt as part of their platform at the convention his position (as outlined in his public letter) on abortion which is to minimize the need, the requirement for abortion and limit it only to women whose lives are in danger or who are pregnant as a result of rape or incest.

Carter believes that if Dems took this position that the party would win back conservatives it has lost over the abortion issue.

He said he doesn't believe that Jesus would have approved of abortion and that he had a hard time upholding Roe v. Wade when he was president because of it.

He'd like his party to become more pro-life.

Jimmy speaks up.
snood

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 11:51 pm
@Irishk,
I find that I kind of am leaning toward what Carter is saying....