MOURDOCK DEFEATS GOP SENATOR DICK LUGAR

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 06:42 pm

Mourdock Defeats Lugar!
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA-endorsed candidate wins
most important Senate primary of the year

“I can’t thank Gun Owners of America enough for their early support of my campaign.”
Richard Mourdock, Republican nominee for U.S. Senate, after defeating Indiana ’s Dick Lugar

Gun Owners of America is today celebrating the defeat of the most anti-gun Republican
in the U.S. Senate, Indiana Sen. Dick Lugar.

GOA ’s Political Victory Fund endorsed his challenger, Richard Mourdock,
early this year and has strongly backed his campaign ever since.

Mourdock, who is Indiana ’s State Treasurer, is 100% in favor of our Second Amendment rights
and understands that gun ownership is a fundamental, individual liberty that must be safeguarded in a free society.

Dick Lugar, rated “F” by GOA , established himself as the most anti-gun Republican in the U.S. Senate
by supporting waiting periods for handgun purchases, a ban on many semi-automatic firearms, and all of
Obama’s radical anti-gun judicial nominees.

Plus, Lugar was the only Republican Senator to refuse to sign a letter opposing a massive UN small arms treaty.

Without a doubt, Dick Lugar was one of the anti-gunners’ best friends in the Senate,
but he went down in defeat thanks to gun owners nationwide, who supported Mourdock
with their contributions, and to the voters in the Hoosier State .

Mourdock acknowledged GOA members for their support in his race.
“I can’t thank Gun Owners of America enough for their early support of my campaign,” he said.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 07:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This is great news! The Democrats might actually be able to hold onto the Senate. Lugar would have been nearly impossible to beat in November.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 07:22 pm
Not good news. The Tea Party wacko wing of the GOP takes down another moderate.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 07:25 pm
Nobody finds any irony in the fact that the name of the Senator the NRA opposed is so damn' close to Luger? (I owned a 9 mm once; they also come in 7 mm for issue to artillery officers.)
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 07:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Of course we did ... don't be ridiculous.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 09:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Nobody finds any irony in the fact that the name of the Senator the NRA opposed is so damn' close to Luger?
(I owned a 9 mm once; they also come in 7 mm for issue to artillery officers.)
Do u remember its date??
Mine, in 9mm, is stamped "1940".

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Nobody finds any irony in the fact that the name of the Senator the NRA opposed is so damn' close to Luger?
(I owned a 9 mm once; they also come in 7 mm for issue to artillery officers.)
Do u remember its date??
Mine, in 9mm, is stamped "1940".

Don't remember the exact date but it was older than 1940. Sometime in the 1930s, I believe.

David
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:41 am
@Ticomaya,
There won't be a moderate left (you'll excuse the expression) in the GOP by June.
What are you going to do, Tico?

Joe(or is it too late?)Nation
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:51 am
@Joe Nation,
I would welcome Tico as a Democrat.
Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 06:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Mourdock Defeats Lugar!
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA-endorsed candidate wins
most important Senate primary of the year

I'm glad to hear that. Maybe this gives the Democratic candidate a fighting chance in Indiana.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 07:16 am
Maybe when the voters of Indiana figure out just how far right this guy is it could push more votes both to the Senate Race and tilt the State closer for Obama.

Joe(IND is a toss-up right now>)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 07:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I would welcome Tico as a Democrat.

When pigs fly!
Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:33 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
When pigs fly!

I dunno. Your defenses of the Republican party line have always struck me as kind of college-y and debate-clubbish. You're a lawyer, good at winning arguments, and the Republican Party seems to be something like an ideological client to you. But you never gave me the impression that you actually believe their crap personally. Actually, I would bet pretty high odds that you don't. Note the guy in your avatar, a pot-smoking, liberal member of the Kennedy clan, who would never survive a Republican primary these days.

I'll be happy to learn what you really think when and if you ever come out of the closet. But I'm pessimistic it'll happen anytime soon.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:46 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

There won't be a moderate left (you'll excuse the expression) in the GOP by June.

The polarization works in both directions. It started among the Democrats soon after Clinton's presidency, and it has reached a new peak level with the Obama Administration.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 09:16 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

The polarization works in both directions. It started among the Democrats soon after Clinton's presidency, and it has reached a new peak level with the Obama Administration.

Snort

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 09:21 am
@georgeob1,
Ha!
The biggest cranks on the left are so far left they like Ron Paul.
They are Obama's most irritating critics as far as I am concerned.

For me, if you have an (R) at the end of your name, I want you out of office.

The GOP since the first days of Clinton has offered nothing but blind, obstinate opposition. They are not worthy of the name Political Party.

Joe(they are a cult)Nation
revelette

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 09:47 am
Quote:
Earlier, a dry-eyed Lugar conceded defeat to a room of supporters who wiped away tears even as they cheered him one last time. He told the crowd that he wants Mourdock to win so Republicans can win back the Senate majority.

But in a written statement distributed afterward, Lugar fell short of an endorsement. He called Mourdock's "embrace of an unrelenting partisan mindset" irreconcilable with his own governing philosophy.

"Unless he modifies his approach, he will achieve little as a legislator," he said.

Lugar's words showed why he lost.

Most Republican primary voters were not looking for someone who would compromise but for someone who never would.

For Mourdock, the win elevated him to national celebrity status. He is now the face of a new, much more conservative Republican Party that considers bipartisanship akin to betraying principles.

To groups like the anti-tax Club for Growth and the Grover Norquist-led Americans for Tax Reform, the win sent a message to other Republicans to get in line or get left behind.

And to the tea party activists -- both those Hoosiers who had targeted Lugar for defeat since 2010 and the national groups that had climbed on board -- the win was validation that their movement is very much alive.

Ryan Hecker, chief operating officer for the national tea party group FreedomWorks, said Mourdock's win in Indiana will ignite the party nationwide and lead to wins in Utah, Arizona, Texas and other states where it is backing conservative mavericks against other GOP veterans.

"Richard Mourdock's victory is a statement by the tea party movement in Indiana and around the country that we need to be taken seriously," Hecker said. "This is a momentum-builder for the tea party movement."

source
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 10:04 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

Please be serios, George. Do you seriously see an analogy here? I certainly don't.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 10:11 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Actually, I think that many Republicans honestly believe this. Their worldview is so distorted by their ideology, that they see disagreement as obstructionism, and they see obstructionism as a legitimate tactic (when performed by Republicans).

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 10:18 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Actually, I think that many Republicans honestly believe this. Their worldview is so distorted by their ideology, that they see disagreement as obstructionism, and they see obstructionism as a legitimate tactic (when performed by Republicans).

George doesn't believe there is any such thing as the term 'obstructionism.' To him, the proper function of government is not to compromise, but instead to engage in a series of escalating power struggles, in which one side repeatedly holds the national interest hostage to their own particular interests.

Cycloptichorn