Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 10:33 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I thought that's what I said....

Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 10:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Lugar had clearly outlived any purpose he might have ever served. He actually voted to approve Elena Kagen which, to me, is unconscionable. The US supreme court is not a place for little pigs.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 11:10 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
The polarization works in both directions.

I wish!

georgeob1 wrote:
It started among the Democrats soon after Clinton's presidency, and it has reached a new peak level with the Obama Administration.

You mean when the majority of Washington Democrats gave up on "Medicare for all" and settled for the healthcare reforms formerly favored by Richard Nixon, Mitt Romney, and the Heritage Foundation? Some polarization!

Speaking as an ex-libertarian, it was precisely the Republicans' move to the radical right, paired with the Democrats' lack of a corresponding move to the radical left, that turned me from a libertarian into a Democrat. I wasn't anti-Republican when I joined Abuzz 12 years ago. But I am fervently anti-Republican now. And when I look back at my old posts, I notice the Republicans have changed a lot more than I have.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 11:25 am
@Thomas,
It appears to me that the Republicans are failing to define themselves as a brand.

They don't stand for anything; they only stand against things.

They're against healthcare.
They're against homosexuals.
They're against women.
They're against taxes.
They're against immigration.
They're against Obama.

They're not Republicans... They're anti-Democrats.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 11:27 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
For me, if you have an (R) at the end of your name, I want you out of office.

That being the case, can you explain why anyone should give you any credence in a political discussion?

I've been a lifelong Republican, but that doesn't mean I "believe the crap" of every politician just because of the letters after their name. I vote for the best candidate, and if that happens to be a Democrat, so be it.

Thomas wrote:
Note the guy in your avatar, a pot-smoking, liberal member of the Kennedy clan, who would never survive a Republican primary these days.

I also like Pink Floyd ... don't care for their politics, but love their music.
I was once called a "misogynist" because of my avatar. Evidently some people put a lot of stock in one's avatar.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 11:30 am
Just shows that sanity is not something desired by the average republican voter.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 11:53 am
@Ticomaya,
Joe Nation wrote:
[quote]For me, if you have an (R) at the end of your name, I want you out of office.[/quote]
Tico replied:
[quote]That being the case, can you explain why anyone should give you any credence in a political discussion? [/quote]

Because I am a cuddly cuss who resorts to reasonable, factual argumentation unless I have had a second glass of wine, even then I attempt to find middle ground, an effort that fewer Republicans in office make a feeble attempt at, if at all.
To prove that I shall revise the above quote to:
If you have an (R) at the end of your name and you have taken the Norquist Anti-Tax Pledge, I want you out of office. (That's over 70% of the sitting GOP US Representatives. )

Bonus points for anyone actually renouncing the pledge as non-productive, which it is.

There was a time, Tico, when I admired muchly the efforts of the GOP, without them, for example, we would have neither the Civil Rights Act nor the Voting Rights Act nor the EPA, but can you see this current GOP extending a single vote to pass any of those laws today?

They have become not only anti-Democratic which is their right as a party, but they have also become anti-democratic which is not in the best interests of this Republic.

Joe(Bring back the old GOP)Nation
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 03:26 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
It appears to me that the Republicans are failing to define themselves as a brand.
Conservative Republicans support the Original Americanism that brought forth the Instrument of Creation
of this Republic, and its Supreme Law: the US Constitution (as amended, as per its Article 5).

It implicitly recognizes that Individual freedom and government jurisdiction r INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.
By strangling, curtailing, constricting & kicking jurisdiction in the ass,
we aggrandize our OWN personal freedom, Individualism & hedonism.

Conservative Republican voters know that government is, and shud BE,
their servant, not their master.

David
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 04:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Interesting, then, that things like extraordinary rendition and the PATRIOT act happened during a Republican presidency.

Face it. The meaning of "Republican" has morphed into something that would make Goldwater weep.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:59 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Interesting, then, that things like extraordinary rendition and the PATRIOT act
happened during a Republican presidency.
It was drawn up under Clinton n applied by W.
I 'd have voted against the Patriot Act, if I cud.
Note that the Democrats supported it.

DrewDad wrote:
Face it. The meaning of "Republican" has morphed into something that would make Goldwater weep.
OK, but that does not apply to hostile aliens being rendered to allied governments,
because neither Original Americanism nor the Constitution
defend any rights of aliens overseas. JOHNSON v. EISENTRAGER 339 US 763, (195O) ;
US v. VERDUGO 11O S.Ct. (1990)
The Tea Party was to restore old American values.

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:22 pm
@DrewDad,
You realize, of course, DrewDad, that anything questionable that the Repubs might have done was always originally planned and instigated by a Dem administration. Just like JFK's invasion of Cuba was a left-over from Ike's GOP term. Wait a minute . . .
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:39 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
You realize, of course, DrewDad, that anything questionable that the Repubs might have done was always originally planned and instigated by a Dem administration. Just like JFK's invasion of Cuba was a left-over from Ike's GOP term. Wait a minute . . .
LET THE RECORD SHOW:
that I blame Ike for failure to do the job of getting rid of Castro.
All those years of communist slavery in Cuba and its nuclear threat
to America in 1962 were his fault, for his failure to attend
to his executive responsibility: BAD JOB! It was stupid to trust the incoming Democrats.
Look at what happened, with the Kennedys.

A lot of people deem it unfashionable (then & now) to blame Ike
for ANYTHING, out of gratitude for his defeat of Hitler.
I 'd rather call it as I see it.

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Why do I have the feeling that you missed my point entirely and completely, David?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
ERRATUM:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
Interesting, then, that things like extraordinary rendition and the PATRIOT act
happened during a Republican presidency.
It was drawn up under Clinton n applied by W.
I 'd have voted against the Patriot Act, if I cud.
Note that the Democrats supported it.

DrewDad wrote:
OK, but that does not apply to hostile aliens being rendered to allied governments,
because neither Original Americanism nor the Constitution
defend any rights of aliens overseas. JOHNSON v. EISENTRAGER 339 US 763, (195O) ;
US v. VERDUGO 11O S.Ct. (1990)

David
Citation to the USSC's VERDUGO case
shud have been:
11O S.Ct. 1O56 (1990)

I inadvertently omitted the page number.

David
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

and with any luck the Tea Party movement will split American conservatives into two distinct parties. O frabjous day!
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 08:00 am
"Bipartisanship ought to consist of Democrats coming to the Republican point of view."
—Senatorial candidate Richard Mourdock, winner of the Indiana GOP primary

Right, he'll be a big help in finding ways to benefit this nation.

Joe(idiot)Nation
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 09:16 am
I still don't get why Sen. Lugar felt it necessary to go so negative with his campaign when, having served for 36 years, he could have just run on his record? Another thing that probably didn't help is the fact that he didn't even live in Indiana -- he always had to stay at a hotel in Indianapolis when visiting (at taxpayer expense, of course). Did he even pay taxes there?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 09:59 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

and with any luck the Tea Party movement will split American conservatives into two distinct parties. O frabjous day!
Split for what reason??
Lugar was not a conservative. That 's Y he was defeated.

David
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 11:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Split for what reason??
Lugar was not a conservative.

I refer you to the post of one of A2K's noted Republican posters

http://able2know.org/topic/190276-1#post-4977141
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:29 pm
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Split for what reason??
Lugar was not a conservative.
ehBeth wrote:
I refer you to the post of one of A2K's noted Republican posters

http://able2know.org/topic/190276-1#post-4977141
We 'll see how it works out. Presumably, he will be more popular
than a politician who was disloyal to Originalist Republican values.
There is a REASON for voting Republican; its not just random chance.
That reason is INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM, at the expense of jurisdiction of government.

David
0 Replies