Waiting until marriage for sexx?

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 04:43 pm
I really want to wait until marriage to have sex with my boyfriend. But I'm always really horny when I'm around him. We've messed around like him fingering me and me giving him a hand job but we've never gone farther. I'm 17 and he's 18. We've been together for almost a year and were best friends before this. Idk what to doo. Sad He's not a virgin, but I am. He wants to have sex with me, but he respects my decision to wait and hasn't pressured me at all. I would reallyy like to have sex with him, but I want to wait until marriage. Idk what to do? Heeellppp?!

I'm also terrified of sex. Especially since he's not a virgin. I know it wouldn't matter to him if I'm good enough or not, but it matters to me. I'm embarrassed even though I know I shouldn't be. If I got pregnant, I'd get kicked out and have nowhere to live on top of having a baby. Plus, it would go against everything I've stood for for a really long time and I'd feel like such a hypocrite and I hate hypocrites.

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 05:16 pm
The answer is clear - wait until you're married.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 05:53 pm
@AnyaDanneel,
How long are you going to wait?

If you are going to get married in a year or two, maybe waiting is possible. Of course this assumes that your boyfriend at 17 is the guy you want to be married to. I am glad I did't marry the person I was dating at 17. It took a while for me to grow up enough to be married, seventeen is awfully young to be making this decision.

People who get married when they are older have a much better chance of having good marriages. The divorce rate is much much lower and people are happier.

It seems to me that in modern America, waiting until you are married is simply unrealistic. It doesn't make sense. Waiting until you are 27 or 28 before you get married is the best way to have a good, lasting marriage. Waiting 10 more years to have sex is an awful lot to ask.

If you have to choose between waiting to have sex, or waiting to get married, I think waiting to get married is a much more sensible choice. But I suppose there are three options here.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 06:31 pm
@AnyaDanneel,
Seventeen is a bit young to have sex and waaaay too young to think about marriage. I would suggest before making any decision that you empower yourself by talking to a doctor or a counselor at Planned Parenthood about birth control and STD's. You can have sex without getting a disease or getting pregnant if you take proper precautions. I personally have no problem with people having sex outside of marriage, but I do have a problem with people being irresponsible about the act. Part of having a good sex life is acting like an adult and not a child, if you don't think you can handle safe sex with pregnancy prevention you should not have sex. Your boyfriend needs to agree to use a condom and you should be either be on the pill or have an IUD inserted. If your boyfriend tries to push you into sex without these precautions you need to find a new boyfriend. If you decide you don't want to have sex for any reason he should also respect that and not try to seduce you into it.

PS: As a woman who is now in her 50's, I'm glad I had sex when I was young and single because I didn't get married until I was in my 30's. I enjoyed my hormones when they were at peak, and I never got pregnant and I never contracted an STD because I was educated and responsible about prevention. I'm also glad I didn't get married too young because being young, single and free was a heck of a lot of fun.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:01 pm
@AnyaDanneel,
Why would you wait until marriage to have sex?
Let's say you saved yourself until marriage and the guy you're marrying is a very selfish lover and you don't enjoy sex with him. Then you waited all this
time to find out and on top of it you're married to him.

Why not find out now if you're sexually compatible with your boyfriend and
go from there.

Of course, prior to having sex you need to be responsible and use birth control and condoms. As Green Witch said, go to a Planned Parenthood near you and they will help you and educate you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:31 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Seventeen is a bit young to have sex and waaaay too young to think about marriage

Let be real here.

About 50% of American females have sex by the time they are 17. 70% of females are sexually active by the age of 18. This is the common time to start, particularly for people in dating relationships.

source: http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/resources/FAQ.html

I am not saying that a 17 year old should have sex. But it is normal.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:33 pm
@AnyaDanneel,
WAIT.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:38 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm not saying it's abnormal, but it's not an age I would tell a young person to hurry up and get busy. She obviously has some real hesitations, and at 17 she has no reason to rush to a decision, especially if she has a pushy boyfriend. You don't get a second chance to lose your virginity and she needs to be sure this is the right, or wrong, time for her to do so.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:40 pm
@Green Witch,
Greenie, her boyfriend isn't pushy at all...she said she's been with him for a year and he respects her wishes, even though he'd love to have sex with her.
Well, that's normal, considering he's 18 years old and has been waiting a year already - yet he's not pushing her.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:40 pm
@AnyaDanneel,
Part of the problem with the "wait until marriage" movement is that it is unrealistic. This causes problems. There are many many young adults who instead of deciding to have sex responsibly have "fallen" into sex. Deciding to have sex responsibly means you will be smart about not getting pregnant or putting yourself at risk of a disease. "Falling" into sex means you will probably not plan to use protection or talk about responsibility

If you accept your sexuality then you can prepare for it. If you are doing sexual activities you should be talking about things like birth control. There are so many people "waiting until marriage" who end up "falling" into sex which means not using protection.

Fondling each other is an undeniably sexual activity. It will undoubtedly lead to sex. Make sure that when this happens you choose to do this responsibly. Living in denial isn't a good thing when it comes to being prepared.

If you choose to wait, then wait. Realistically this means you should also stop the fondling. You can't do sexual things and expect to not have sex. You are just fooling yourself.

But for goodness sake, since you are already starting doing sexual things with your boyfriend, now is the time to talk about birth control and responsibility.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, I actually did catch that, but for some reason I switched to a general thought and my statement got muddled.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 07:49 pm
@AnyaDanneel,
If you want to experience sex, do it safely - to ensure you don't get pregnant. Having sex with your 18 year old boyfriend is no guarantee he's the one you're going to marry. You're still too young to know where life will lead you. Making the decision to have sex now means you are ready to understand the realities that 17 and 18 year olds do not always stay together. Are you planning to go to college?

Don't get pregnant; it'll ruin your life.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 02:57 am
@AnyaDanneel,
Quote:
it would go against everything I've stood for for a really long time and I'd feel like such a hypocrite and I hate hypocrites.

I think you should wait--at least for the time being. Your body is ready and willing, but your head and values aren't. If having sex will go against your values, and make you feel like a hypocrite, wait until you're sure that this is a decision you can live with, without feeling badly about yourself, and without regretting it.

As long as your boyfriend isn't pressuring you, don't pressure yourself. Think about the reasons you want to remain a virgin until marriage, and make sure these are reasons that are important to you, and not just reasons that someone else has drummed into your head, and make sure you understand why these reasons matter to you. If, after thinking through all of that, you still feel that it's important for you to wait until marriage, you should wait. You can always re-think things at a later date, and possibly arrive at a different decision if your values or reasons change.

In the meantime, you and your boyfriend can continue to "mess around" and pleasure each other manually or any other way that doesn't involve intercourse. I don't think that this will inevitably lead to intercourse, particularly if you and your boyfriend are both on the same wavelength about not going that route or that far. But I do agree with the suggestions you've been given about preparedness. I think you should see a doctor, or go to Planned Parenthood, and get information about the options for birth control methods which you might want to use in the future. And, just in case, you should have condoms available now.
Quote:
I'm also terrified of sex. Especially since he's not a virgin. I know it wouldn't matter to him if I'm good enough or not, but it matters to me. I'm embarrassed even though I know I shouldn't be.

Don't worry about not being "good enough" as a sex partner. These things, like most things, improve with experience. A good partner is, most of all, one who really enjoys what she's doing, who lets herself fully experience her passion,who lets her partner know what arouses her and pays attention to what arouses him, and is uninhibited and open in just seeking and giving pleasure. So, don't be embarrassed by what you don't know, or what you think he already knows, if it's something you haven't done before it will be a learning situation for you, and learning how your body responds, and learning about how he responds, and learning new things together. It's really nothing to be terrified of. You'll be with someone you love and trust, and he'll help you along. Just be yourself and express your feelings--whatever they are.

But, I wonder, is the fact you are "terrified of sex" part of the reason you want to wait until you're married? Or is your desire to wait based mainly on other values you feel strongly about? Or, is it both?

0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 04:39 am
@AnyaDanneel,
AnyaDanneel wrote:

I really want to wait until marriage to have sex with my boyfriend. But I'm always really horny when I'm around him. We've messed around like him fingering me and me giving him a hand job but we've never gone farther. I'm 17 and he's 18. We've been together for almost a year and were best friends before this. Idk what to doo. Sad He's not a virgin, but I am. He wants to have sex with me, but he respects my decision to wait and hasn't pressured me at all. I would reallyy like to have sex with him, but I want to wait until marriage. Idk what to do? Heeellppp?!

I'm also terrified of sex. Especially since he's not a virgin. I know it wouldn't matter to him if I'm good enough or not, but it matters to me. I'm embarrassed even though I know I shouldn't be. If I got pregnant, I'd get kicked out and have nowhere to live on top of having a baby. Plus, it would go against everything I've stood for for a really long time and I'd feel like such a hypocrite and I hate hypocrites.

Well here is my response if you care to hear it.

I think it is a really horrible idea to wait until marriage for sex. I know many people try to drill this idea into children and young adults but I think it leads to potential trouble. Now I'm not saying that it "always" ends badly but what I am saying is that it can cause problems.

I respect your choice but I have to ask, why are you insisting on waiting. What is so significant about waiting until marriage before you have sex?

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 09:32 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
About 50% of American females have sex by the time they are 17. 70% of females are sexually active by the age of 18.

A new study released this week suggests the number choosing abstinance has been increasing.
Quote:
CDC report: More teen girls use best birth control
May 4, 2012

ATLANTA (AP) — More teen girls now use the best kinds of birth control, a new government study says.

About 60 percent of teen girls who have sex use the most effective kinds of contraception, including the pill and patch.

That’s up from the mid-90s, when less than half were using the best kinds, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study found.

The trend in better contraception is helping to drive down the teen birth rate, health officials said.

The CDC released the report Thursday. It’s based on a national survey of 2,300 girls ages 15 to 19, conducted in the years 2006 through 2010.

The most effective forms of birth control include the pill, patch, vaginal ring, IUD, the Implanon arm implant and the Depo-Provera contraceptive shot. Using only condoms was deemed just moderately effective.

Why are more teen girls now using hormonal birth control like the pill? Doctors seem to be increasingly comfortable prescribing them to teens, said Crystal Tyler, a CDC epidemiologist who co-authored the new report.

Also, some of them — like the vaginal ring — became available more recently, she said.

The teen birth rate fell 44 percent between 1990 and 2010. Another factor besides better birth control is increasing abstinence. About 43 percent of the girls in the survey said they’d had sex, the new study found. That’s down from a similar survey in 1995, when 51 percent of teen girls said they’d had sex.

“We hear a lot of times from teens that ’Everyone’s having sex.’ But a lot are not,” Tyler said.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/may/04/cdc-report-more-teen-girls-use-best-birth-control/?CID=happeningnow

Quote:
I am not saying that a 17 year old should have sex. But it is normal.

I agree.

But I don't think the OP should feel she's abnormal if she's choosing abstinance at this point in her life. Whatever her reasons for that choice, if she doesn't feel ready yet, she's just not ready for a sexual relationship, and she's showing good maturity by thinking about it beforehand rather than just acting on impulse or caving into the pressure that "everybody's doing it".

From that CDC study, it's good to know that more teens who are sexually active are choosing the best methods of birth control.

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 09:40 am
@firefly,
Well, statistics are always kind of distorted, plus the study is not that new, already 2 years old, firefly.

From the 2300 girls, ages 15 -19 surveyed, 44 % said they've had sex.
Very inconclusive, since we don't know if 2200 girls were aged 15 and only 100 were age 19, or how it was divided age wise, never mind surveying only 2300 teenage girls.

Fact is, however, that Planned Parenthood does an incredible job providing young women with proper education about sex and birth control, in addition to testing for STD's, pregnancy and handing out condoms - all of it mostly free of charge.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 09:40 am
@firefly,
Quote:
bout 43 percent of the girls in the survey said they’d had sex, the new study found. That’s down from a similar survey in 1995, when 51 percent of teen girls said they’d had sex.

Do you have a link to the actual study? I checked the CDC site and can't find anything that says this. There seems to be a whole lot of site with a political bias repeating this but I am skeptical. I would really like to see the original source for this.

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 09:42 am
@maxdancona,
Don't bother, it's so inconclusive this study that it's not even worth discussing it.
firefly

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:04 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Do you have a link to the actual study?

I think this is the original study.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_23/sr23_031.pdf
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:28 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Don't bother, it's so inconclusive this study that it's not even worth discussing it.

It's not a matter of deciding whether this particular study is inconclusive--you'd have to survey the entire population of teens to get a more conclusive finding, something that is not possible to do, but, even then, you'd be relying on self-reports because that is the only way to obtain data of this sort. So no survey is really definitive, but it can give you an idea of trends in behavior if you have a really representational sample.

This writer does question the results of surveys based on self-reports.
Quote:
November 15, 2011
Are Teenagers Really Having Less Sex?
By KJ DELL'ANTONIA

The number of unmarried teenagers between the ages of 15 and 19 who reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that they’ve had sex has dropped below 50 percent. The C.D.C.’s research, based on data collected from 2006 to 2010, shows that about 43 percent of unmarried teenage girls and 42 percent of unmarried teenage boys say, on a survey administered by a C.D.C. interviewer but conducted largely on a laptop with headphones, that they’ve had sexual intercourse at least once. In 2002, the last year such a report was published, 51.1 percent of girls and 60.4 percent of boys said they had had sex by 19.

It’s not intended as a survey of which teenagers say they’ve had sex, of course. It’s intended as a survey of which teenagers have had sex. But self-reporting is the only way to get at that particular question, or the question of whether teenagers are using birth control, and which methods. Some reported results are supported by data: birth rates among teenagers are at their lowest ever recorded in the United States, suggesting either a decrease in sexual activity or an increase in birth control use (which most teenagers now report that they are using the first time they have sex). Beyond that, the teenagers’ answers are just that: their answers. Either fewer of them are actually having premarital sex or fewer are willing to admit it.

Teenagers also say different things about why they’re not having (or claiming to not have) sex yet. Dr. Gladys Martinez told The New York Times that the primary reason teenagers have always given for never having had sex was that “doing so was against their religion or morals.” But in previous surveys, the No. 2 reason boys gave was not wanting to get a girl pregnant; this time it’s that they haven’t found the right person yet. That’s either very sweet (a surprising 18 percent fewer boys say they’ve had premarital sex than in the 2002 survey) or just more support for the idea that many teenagers at least have the birth control thing down.

Maybe it’s because I’m not the parent of a teenager, but I’m having trouble figuring out what I should take away from this particular piece of research. That may be because of the age group surveyed — aren’t you, as a parent, more concerned about teenage sexual activity among 13- to 17-year-olds? Or maybe it’s because I’m caught up in that difficulty with the self-reported data. Maybe I’m cynical, but I put more credence in a truly anonymous Internet survey than in one that involved an adult sitting in your bedroom. (And research suggests I’m right: in voter turnout surveys, the results of the survey more closely reflect the actual voter numbers when a survey is done over the Internet than when possible voters are asked by phone if they voted.)

Have sexually active teenagers really become a minority? Or do teenagers just perceive adults as less tolerant of teenage sex, and so while they may be putting out, they’re shutting up? In either case, what’s changed from a mere decade ago, and is that change a good thing?
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/15/are-teens-really-having-less-sex/

Those are good questions that the writer raises, regarding the methodology of the survey.

But it still doesn't mean the CDC survey isn't worth discussing at all. And the drop in teen pregnancy rates, which has been confirmed in other studies, does appear due to the increased use of birth control, and better methods of birth control, which is what the CDC study also found--they weren't attributing it only to increased abstinance.
Quote:
February 8, 2012
Teen Pregnancy Rate Hits 30-Year Low
By KJ DELL'ANTONIA

Between 2006 and 2010, the number of unmarried teenagers between the ages of 15 and 19 who reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that they’ve had sex dropped below 50 percent. The C.D.C. described this as an actual drop in the number of teenagers having sex; the cynical addition of the word “reported” is mine: obviously the only way for the C.D.C. to determine whether those teenagers were sexually active (and how) was to ask them, and I’ve expressed my doubts about the resulting data.

Now the Guttmacher Institute is backing up those teenagers with hard facts: in 2008, the pregnancy rate among teenagers dropped to its lowest point in more than 30 years. In 1990, when the rate was at its highest, 116.9 out of every thousand girls between the ages of 15 and 19 became pregnant; in 2008, only 67.8 did. Among young women under 15, the pregnancy rate fell even more.

The Guttmacher Institute offers no conclusions about what lies behind the welcome change. For that, a return to those C.D.C. numbers might help: of the teenagers who admitted to having had sex, most reported that they used birth control, even for their “first time.”

Feb. 9, 2012 | Updated A representative of the Guttmacher Institute just let me know that it did, in fact, draw some conclusions. “A large body of research has shown that the long-term decline in teen pregnancy, birth and abortion rates was driven primarily by improved use of contraception among teens.”
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/teen-pregnancy-rate-hits-30-year-low/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------