Waiting until marriage for sexx?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:38 am
@firefly,
I believe you are on the right track; confirming polls with other relevant statistics may indicate that the "self-reports" may in fact be reliable.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:47 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Fact is, however, that Planned Parenthood does an incredible job providing young women with proper education about sex and birth control, in addition to testing for STD's, pregnancy and handing out condoms - all of it mostly free of charge.

That's very true. But in some states it's easier, or more difficult, for a teen to even be able to access Planned Parenthood. Those states that restrict the ability of a minor to access contraceptive health care make it difficult for that teen to use the services of Planned Parenthood.
That's why the results of surveys done by the CDC, and others, should give legislators in those more restrictive states food for thought, and also give those who favor less restrictive access to contraceptive care better data to convince legislators, if the goal is to reduce teenage pregnancies.

Quote:
May 3, 2012
More Teenagers Use ‘Highly Effective Contraception’
By KJ DELL'ANTONIA

Teen pregnancy rates are at a 30-year-low (and births to teenage mothers are down as well, to 34.3 births per 1,000 girls 15 to 19 years old in 2010, the lowest rate since the government began keeping track in 1940). Today, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released numbers offering one possible reason for those positive trends: more sexually experienced teenagers reported current use of highly effective contraceptive methods (intrauterine device, implant, pill, patch, ring or injectable contraceptive).

Approximately 60 percent of teenagers between 15 and 19 years old said they used the “highly effective methods” in the National Survey of Family Growth — an increase from 47 percent in 1995.

When reporting the decreased birth rates to teenagers, the Economix blog noted the variance from state to state, and many readers observed that the map bore a striking resemblance to maps reflecting different sex education practices and the availability of various family planning services. With respect to the availability and use of birth control, graphic data was a little harder to come by, but in the five states where teenagers were most likely to report the use of birth control pills when they last had sex (New Hampshire, Maine, Wisconsin, Montana and Alaska), birth rates to teenagers were around, or in three cases below, the national average.

Those states are also among the states with the least restrictions surrounding teenagers obtaining birth control without a parent’s permission. Of the five states with the highest rates of pregnancy among teenagers, three (Texas, Oklahoma and Mississippi) restrict the ability of a minor to access contraceptive health care, and four (those three, plus Arkansas) stress abstinence in their sexual education programs. Conclusive? Far from it. But these numbers should give policy-makers in states with high teenage pregnancy rates something more to think about.

8:35 a.m. | Correction This post originally misstated the number of births per thousand girls 15 to 19 years old in 2010. It was 34.3, not 3.4.
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/more-teenagers-use-highly-effective-contraception/
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 11:25 am
@firefly,
No one is more happy than I that teenage pregnancy is down. The United States is the only industrial nation to have had such high percentages
in teen pregnancy, compared to Europe.

firefly, I am always suspicious of these kind of statistics pertaining to abstinence/having sex and depending who is the initiator (Christian groups, government etc.) the numbers can vary tremendously. I think a good reliable source would be Planned Parenthood, since they do see a lot of teens and deal with these issues daily. I have to look if I can find one from them....

I have a soon to be 17 year old daughter and she and her numerous friends are indicative of my own research and I have talked extensively to my daughter's friends about the subject matter if they can't do it at home and
I think there is nothing more important than educating teens about birth control and responsible sexual relations.
firefly

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 12:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
firefly, I am always suspicious of these kind of statistics pertaining to abstinence/having sex and depending who is the initiator (Christian groups, government etc.) the numbers can vary tremendously. I think a good reliable source would be Planned Parenthood, since they do see a lot of teens and deal with these issues daily. I have to look if I can find one from them....

I' m skeptical too, particularly based on who is doing the study. But I can't find any real reason to quibble with the CDC survey, particularly since they aren't using the results to either promote or discourage sexual activity, and the results really can't be used by others in that regard either--it's just a survey that looks at trends in behavior. And, in determining trends, the CDC compared the findings in their more recent study with what they found in their own earlier studies, which seems reasonable.

Planned Parenthood might be a reliable source of info, but mainly about those teens who do, or are able to, access their services. What about those teens who live in states where their access to Planned Parenthood might be restricted? What about teens who use a private gynecologist or other health care provider? I think we should look at all reliable sources of info, and I would include the CDC in that group.

My only point in even bringing up the CDC study in the first place was to point out to the OP that she shouldn't feel abnormal for choosing abstinence at this time in her life--she's far from the only 17 year old person doing that. I think there is generally more pressure to be sexually active, and those who are choosing abstinence can be made to feel odd.
I'm not advocating either abstinence or sexual activity for her--that's entirely her decision, based on whatever her own reasons are either way.
Quote:
I think there is nothing more important than educating teens about birth control and responsible sexual relations.

I am in complete agreement with you on that score.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 02:21 pm
I got this from the Planned Parenthood fact sheet

Quote:
Between 1990 and 2005, the national teen
pregnancy rate fell 41 percent, from 116.9 to a
record low of 69.5 pregnancies per 1,000
women aged 15–19. In 2006, it rose for the first
time in more than a decade to 71.5 pregnancies
per 1,000 women aged 15–19 — an increase of
three percent (Guttmacher Institute, 2010b).
Eighty-six percent of the decline through 2005
resulted from improved contraceptive use
among sexually active teenagers, and another
14 percent was attributable to increased
abstinence (Santelli et al., 2007). An earlier
study pointed out that another cause for the
reduction of teen pregnancy is that adolescents
are increasingly substituting other kinds of sex
play for vaginal intercourse (Weiss & Bullough,
2004).

So it does seem that 14 % of teens practice abstinence from
vaginal intercourse and opt for other sexual pleasures. Well, in either
case, the pregnancy stats are down and we are definitely happy about
that.
firefly

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 09:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
So it does seem that 14 % of teens practice abstinence from
vaginal intercourse and opt for other sexual pleasures.

No, that's not really a correct interpretation of the data. 14% of the decline in the pregnancy rate through 2005 was attributable to abstinence, but that doesn't really tell you what percentage of the population is remaining abstinent--or reporting that they have no sexual experience.

To double check my thinking on that score, I looked at the original study (Santelli et al., 2007) that the 14% figure in that article came from because it seemed to differ too widely from the percentage that the CDC reported. And, sure enough, Santelli et al., reported that their data regarding declining sexual experience were identical to those of the CDC--with the CDC reporting sexual experience in only 45.9% of the female teen population they surveyed in 2007 (and in the latest CDC study, which included data through 2010, only 43% reported being sexually experienced, showing a slight continued decline).
Quote:
Our findings on trends in sexual activity may seem at odds with previous reports about declining sexual involvement among young women reported from the YRBS [13]. They are not. In published reports from the CDC, sexual experience reported in the YRBS declined from 1991 to 2007 (50.8% to 45.9%,
p<.05)...Our data in Figure 1 for sexual activity among all women are identical to those in the CDC report.
http://gutmacher.org/pubs/journals/reprints/Behavioral_Risk_Santelli_JAH.pdf

So I suspect that the CDC figures--which reported that only 43% of the girls, and 42% of the boys, between the ages of 15-19, say that they have had sexual intercourse at least once--are much likelier to be closer to reality. And "closer to reality" may be as close as we can get because all of these surveys rely on self reports--so validity of the data depends on how honest or open the teens responding may be. And that problem is common to all the studies that measure sexual activity.

Even among those who might be sexually active, a high percentage are not reporting engaging in vaginal sexual intercourse within the past year.
Quote:
•At any given point in time, most U.S. adolescents are not engaging in partnered sexual behavior. While 40% of 17 year-old males reported vaginal intercourse in the past year, only 27% reported the same in the past 90 days. (NSSHB, 2010)
•Solo masturbation is the most prevalent teenage sexual activity, and reported recent solo masturbation is high at 43% of males and 37% of females. (NSSHB, 2010)
•Among men aged 15-19 years, 45.1% reported no partners in the last 12 months, 29.7% reported one partner of the opposite sex in the last 12 months, and 21.8% reported two or more partners of the opposite sex in the previous year. (Mosher, Chandra, & Jones, 2005)
•Among women aged 15-19 years, 42.9% reported no partners in the last 12 months, 30.5% reported one partner of the opposite sex in the last 12 months, and 16.8% reported two or more partners of the opposite sex in the previous year. (Mosher, Chandra, & Jones, 2005)
http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/resources/FAQ.html#teensex

I think the best conclusion we can draw is that a much much higher percentage of teens than we might think, are not engaging in sexual activity involving vaginal intercourse. That doesn't mean they are all sexually inexperienced in that regard for the same reasons--some might simply lack available partners, or desirable partners, some might be fearful of unwanted pregnancies or STDs, while, for others, abstinence might be a choice based on religious or moral values. And many are engaging in other types of sexual activity.
We also have to realize the extremely diverse populations that most of these studies survey in terms of ethnicity, race, socio-economic level, religious affiiation, geographical location, etc.--so the findings might not seem to jive with one's own first-hand or anecdotal experience because they are also referencing a much wider range of the teen population.

So, our 17 year old OP may not be that atypical in terms of her virginal status, although the issue of whether or not to engage in vaginal intercourse is clearly something she is wrestling with at this time. And it remains to be seen whether she will remain a virgin until she marries.

I'm not sure the absolute numbers on abstinence, or sexual inexperience, matter at all, and most of the large scale reputable studies on teen sexual activity are more focused on teen pregnancy risk and pregnancy rates than anything else because those are the important public health issues. And, as long as the pregnancy rates are down, and better methods of contraception are being used, that's great news. But now we have to make sure that more teens have unrestricted access to those contraceptive methods, and to services provided at places like Planned Parenthood--the states that restrict access, by requiring things like parental consent, are the ones with higher pregnancy rates.

0 Replies