What is your justification for believing in the supernatural?

failures art

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Atheists try to make their case be scientific and reasoned...and never offer any evidence that is not a variation on "theists cannot produce a god for inspection"...or..."there is no need for a god to explain existence."

Neither of those are evidence there are no gods...so they are neither scientific nor reasoned.

You don't state claims in the negative, Frank. There is no need to make a negative claim at all. The burden always rests on the positive claim. That's how science works. Scientific scrutiny (skepticism) results in an affirmation (belief) or a rejection. That rejection on the case for gods is called atheism. It's not some other theory of a unbelief/disbelief/nonbelief. Such a thing is superficial.

The only reason to frame things otherwise is to exaggerate the positive claim's merit.

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:45 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
What's an atheistic guess? You're projecting. Further, multiple theistic philosophies don't include afterlives. Indeed, the evolution of religious ideas on the afterlife has largely trended this way, but it's not a clear cut. Simply put, being an atheist or theist says nothing of a person's belief about what happens or doesn't happen upon death. I imagine a great deal of congruence, but not symmetry, Frank.

You're attributing extra clauses to the definition of both "theism" and "atheism."

My comment was that Judeo-Christian theistic guesses and atheistic guesses tend to be given more respect and credence than something like “reincarnation.”

I stand by it.

If your experience is different, what could I tell ya?

Quote:
There is a certain framework to your arguments that is frustrating. You tend to apply parity to all things, and many times when it's undeserved.

Y0u are the one using the word “parity”…I am not.

Quote:
Imagine for a moment, a clear glass cup and a pitcher of water. The water can be poured into the cup. The cup can have water in it or it can be empty. How full the cup is doesn't change a statement such as "There is water in the cup." Let's say that the liquid represents belief. A cup with water is a theistic cup. A cup without water is an atheistic cup. Rejection of water comes in three ways: (1) A lid on the cup prevents water from getting in, (2) taking the cup and pouring it out, or (3) the cup may leak. In fact a combination of these three things can happen, or various things can change over time. How much water at any given time could change. A cup could be full to the brim from the first pour, it could be partially full, it could have water but leaking, the lid could be on loose and water could be slowly getting in, it could be moist from being poured out, or it could be bone dry. Many possibilities exist on the how a cup arrives at a state of having water or having no water.

Gimme a break with this nonsense. Either make an argument or don’t make an argument.

Quote:
You've chosen to frame atheism as a belief.

Actually, I haven’t. I have noted that for some atheists it is a believe. I come to that conclusion because some atheists say, “I believe there are no gods.”

What problem do you have with that?

Quote:
There is a problem here. You've defined atheism by an active belief in no gods (or the sometimes more wordy non-belief in gods).

Well, damn near every atheist I’ve ever known or interacted with on the Internet either actively believes there are no gods…or has non-belief in gods.

Why would I not “define” it that way????
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 12:46 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
You don't state claims in the negative, Frank.

You just did right there!
failures art

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
You don't state claims in the negative, Frank.

You just did right there!

Very good, Frank. Now we're getting somewhere.

Corrected: "You are supposed to state claims in the positive, Frank."

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Y0u are the one using the word “parity”…I am not.

You're using parity, and I'm using the word "parity." Like how a Tiger doesn't say the word "tiger," but I do use the word "tiger" when identifying it.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Imagine for a moment, a clear glass cup and a pitcher of water. The water can be poured into the cup. The cup can have water in it or it can be empty. How full the cup is doesn't change a statement such as "There is water in the cup." Let's say that the liquid represents belief. A cup with water is a theistic cup. A cup without water is an atheistic cup. Rejection of water comes in three ways: (1) A lid on the cup prevents water from getting in, (2) taking the cup and pouring it out, or (3) the cup may leak. In fact a combination of these three things can happen, or various things can change over time. How much water at any given time could change. A cup could be full to the brim from the first pour, it could be partially full, it could have water but leaking, the lid could be on loose and water could be slowly getting in, it could be moist from being poured out, or it could be bone dry. Many possibilities exist on the how a cup arrives at a state of having water or having no water.

Gimme a break with this nonsense. Either make an argument or don’t make an argument.

You're fleeing.

A
R
T
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:19 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Corrected: "You are supposed to state claims in the positive, Frank."

Is that because of that silly passage in the Gospel of St. Failures Art...or are you basing it on something more substantive?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:21 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
You're using parity, and I'm using the word "parity."

Gimme a quote of where I am using parity so that I can understand what in hell you are talking about.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:22 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
You're fleeing.

Not a chance. Do not have that as a fear, because I am here for you.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 11:54 am
@failures art,
Quote:
You don't state claims in the negative, Frank. There is no need to make a negative claim at all. The burden always rests on the positive claim. That's how science works. Scientific scrutiny (skepticism) results in an affirmation (belief) or a rejection. That rejection on the case for gods is called atheism. It's not some other theory of a unbelief/disbelief/nonbelief. Such a thing is superficial.

I will be bold enough to say it, because I believe it, and have seen it way too much....

You guys set yourselves up for that...no one but you are doing it for yourselves, and character...

I believe most atheists on here have a belief against a God...Rather than portray themselves, as believing a God is non-existent....

If you believe God is not real, and are about skepticism....

There is no reason EVER for any atheist to attack ANY God, like the Christian one to make their points! Period!

All you would need to say, is I do not believe a God is real, because science say this....

Example:

But when you have people saying, The Christian God is bullshit because "evidence" shows there is no such thing as a 7 day creation....etc...

It is WAY more than Skepticism, and is not a rejection of a belief...It is Directly a Belief, he is not....Or a belief he is wrong....

Why do you not call yourself what you are? And call your self something like Skeptism, Questionism? Doubtfulism?

If it is not an unbelief,/disbelief/nonbelief....Why does you MAIN CENTRALISM of what you believe and do not believe STILL CENTER around a God?

When you say as a skeptic, and doubter...Our MAIN common belief with one another, is that We DO NOT BELIEVE a God exists,...Why ?? Why do you do it?? If you're a skeptic, it is not even necessary at all...You do realize this, right?

Or your main centralism, is that you have a REJECTION of BELIEF in a God?

Why do you not just call yourself skeptics? If that is what you are?

Why do you have the God part in there at all, If you truly believe there is no such thing???

That is like me being a Christian, and not calling myself a Christian...

But calling myself, a person who thinks every other God is bullshit, or bogus...I have a REJECTION of EVERY OTHER GOD to believe in Christ??

Or saying, (since so many of you LOVE these analogies) saying, I Specifically have a belief or rejection of belief to prove Spaghetti Monsters are real, in the process, of embracing the Christian God....

Or saying, I believe everyone who does not obey Jesus is God is going to Hell...rather than calling myself a Christian...

Or saying, I have a REJECTION of Belief in Krishna, and Hinduism...In the process of embracing Christ....

I have a REJECTION of belief, in Mohammed, and Islam, In believing in Christ...

I have a REJECTION of belief in Buddha, and Buddhism, In believing in Christ....

Do you get the point yet??

Sorry, you guys are the ones who set yourself up to look deceptive, And do not call yourselves what you truly are...So people do not understand you...It is not the other way around...People are not stupid, and Just do not understand you guys....You guys call yourselves something you are not...

If you are a skeptic, than call yourself a skeptic...If you question things with science, call yourself a Questionier....If you have doubts and wish to debunk things, call yourself a doubtfullist....

Do not call yourself, a person who has a REJECTION of BELIEF in a GOD! If you want people to take you serious about not having a belief....

Again, that is like saying I am Christian, because I have a REJECTION of Atheism, Or of other theism's....

It is ridiculous, and mind-blowing...You guys harp about logic, but do not see this...

Perhaps one day, one of you will be brave enough, and evolve atheism to Skepticism, Questionism, Doubtfulism etc....Till then, when you confuse people...It is your faults....
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 11:58 am
Sorry, I am a Christian...But it is not because I have a belief in Jesus Christ...

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief, in Buddha, and am not Buddhist....

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief, in Mohammed, and am not Islam...

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief, in Krishna, and am not Hindu...

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief of Atheism, and am not atheist...

Do you guys understand why others do not understand you? Or misunderstand you?

Seems you do not fully understand yourselves....

If your a skeptic, call yourself a skeptic...Do not call yourself a person who has a rejection of something....

Assert yourself in the positive, rather than having a God who is not real bring your name down....

If he is not real, and you have no belief, take God out of there....It is not even needed...
IRIGHTTHEWRONGS

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 12:22 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Sorry, I am a Christian...But it is not because I have a belief in Jesus Christ...

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief, in Buddha, and am not Buddhist....

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief, in Mohammed, and am not Islam...

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief, in Krishna, and am not Hindu...

It is because I have a REJECTION of belief of Atheism, and am not atheist...

That, single handedly, has to be the most brilliant thing I have ever heard a theist say to an atheist! 2 Cents
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 12:25 pm
@IRIGHTTHEWRONGS,
Quote:
That, single handedly, has to be the most brilliant thing I have ever heard a theist say to an atheist! 2 Cents

Wink Wink Wink
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 02:58 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Assert yourself in the positive, rather than having a God who is not real bring your name down....

Saying "I don't believe in God" is a positive assertion, right?

spendius

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 03:06 pm
@IRIGHTTHEWRONGS,
Quote:
That, single handedly, has to be the most brilliant thing I have ever heard a theist say to an atheist!

It works just as well if a Hurrian said it to a Nathandjo.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 04:01 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:

If he is not real, and you have no belief, take God out of there....It is not even needed...

It sounds like you are giving lessons on how to be a better atheist. Are you sure this is something that God has put in your mind?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 04:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Saying "I don't believe in God" is a positive assertion, right?

Just in case he does not answer YES...I want to.

YES, it is.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:17 pm
Hi Ryan Wink Have you thought about finding yourself a lady prophet? You may be surprised at how many ladies out there that claim they are a prophetess and so forth.
Wouldn't be cool if you could find a lady who thinks like you?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:27 pm
It is one thing to believe you are a prophet and it is another thing when people believe you.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:35 pm
My bad I thought that I was posting these videos to Ryan's thread. I am sure he will see them anyway.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:45 pm
wow