Letter from Michael Moore to George "I'm a War President

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:45 pm
An Open Letter from Michael Moore to George "I'm a War President!" Bush
February 11, 2004 (67th anniversary of the Great Flint Sit-Down Strike)

Dear Mr. Bush,

Thank you for providing the illegible Xeroxed partial payroll sheets (or whatever they were) yesterday covering a few of your days in the National Guard. Now we know that, not only didn't you complete your tour of duty, you were actually paid for work you never did. Did you cash those checks? Wouldn't that be, um, illegal?

Watching the press aggressively demand the truth from your press secretary -- and refusing to accept the deceit, the dodging, and the cover-up -- was a sight to behold, something we really haven't seen since you took office (to watch or listen to the entire press conference, or to read the full transcript, go here).

More than one reporter pointed out that those pieces of paper your press secretary waved at them yesterday mean nothing. Even if they aren't forged documents, getting paid does not necessarily mean you showed up to do your duties. As retired Army Col. Dan Smith, a 26-year veteran, told the AP:

"Pay records don't mean anything except that you're in or you're out," said Smith. "It doesn't necessarily reflect what duty you've actually performed because pay records simply record your unit of assignment and then all of your pay and benefits per pay period."

Mr. Bush, this issue is not going to go away -- and I think yesterday's actions just dug you into a deeper hole. You're probably wondering why the heck this story won't just die. You probably thought that after I brought it up last month and then got slammed by Peter Jennings for uttering the "d" word, the whole matter would just disappear as fast as bag of blow being thrown out the window of a speeding car on a deserted Maine highway.

But your "desertion" didn't go away -- and here's the reason why. You have sent countless numbers of our sons and daughters in the National Guard to their deaths in the last 11 months. You did this while misleading their parents and the nation with bogus lies about weapons of mass destruction and scary phony Saddam ties to al Qaeda. You sent them off to a never-ending war so that your benefactors at Halliburton and the oil companies could line their pockets. And then you had the audacity to prance around in a soldier's uniform on an aircraft carrier proclaiming "Mission Accomplished" -- while the cameras from your re-election campaign ad agency rolled.

THAT is what makes this whole business of you being AWOL so despicable, and makes the grief-stricken relatives want to turn away from you in disgust. The reason your skipping-out on your enlistment didn't matter in the 2000 election was because we were not at war. Being stuck in a deadly, daily quagmire now in 2004 makes your military history-fiction and your fly-boy costume VERY relevant.

You still have not answered the questions surrounding your National Guard "service." Let me repeat them as simply as I can for you (all of them based on the investigative work of the Associated Press and the Boston Globe):

1. How were you able to jump ahead of 500 other applicants to get into the Texas Air National Guard, thus guaranteeing you would not have to go to Vietnam? What calls did your father (who was then a United States Congressman representing Texas) make on your behalf for you to get this assignment?

2. Why were you grounded (not allowed to fly) after you either failed your physical or failed to take it in July 1972? Was there a reason you were afraid to take the physical? Or, did you take it and not pass it? If so, why didn't you pass it? Was it the urine test? The records show that, after the Guard spent years and lots of money training you to be a pilot, you never flew for the rest of your time in the Guard. Why?

3. Can you produce one person who can verify that he served with you in the Guard during the year that your Texas commanders said you did not show up? Why have you failed to bring forth anyone who served with you in the Guard while you were in Alabama? Why hasn't ONE SINGLE PERSON come forward?

4. Can you tell us what you did when you claim to have shown up in Alabama for Guard duty? What were you duties? You were grounded, so what did they have you do instead?

5. Where are the sign-up sheets that would have your name and service number on them for each weekend you showed up? Aaron Brown on CNN told us how, when he was in the reserves, he had to sign in each time he reported, and his guest from the Washington Post said, that's right, and there would be "four copies of that record" in the files of various agencies. Will you ask those agencies to release those records?

6. If you were in fact paid for that time when you apparently went AWOL, will you authorize the IRS to release your 1972-73 tax returns?

7. How did you get an honorable discharge? What strings were pulled? Who called who?

Look, I'm sorry to have put you through all this. I was just goofing around when I made that comment about wanting to see a debate between the general and the deserter. I had no idea that it would lead to this. And there you were, having to suffer through Tim Russert on Sunday, saying weird things like "I'm a war president!" I guess you believe that, or you want us to believe that. Americans have never voted out a Commander-in-Chief during a war. I guess that's what you're hoping for. You need the war.

But we don't. And our troops in the National Guard don't either. I know you see the writing on the wall, so why not come clean now? We are a forgiving people, and though you will not be returned to White House, you will find us grateful for a little bit of truth. Answer our questions, apologize to the nation, and bring our kids home.

Yours,

Michael Moore
[email protected]

www.michaelmoore.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,043 • Replies: 64
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
Micheal Moore is an ass.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:03 pm
Invective McGentrix, does not answer the questions.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Micheal Moore is an ass.

Mc, thats just the kind of attitude that makes us (or at least me) laugh at you. I think Moore brought up some VERY relevant issues here.

I'd love to see your response to them. Take it apart like you do with other people's posts and nitpick the piece (feel free to add your little smart ass comments if you'd like, just address the points as well).

I doubt you or any other conservative will. Know why? Because Moore, at least in regard to this piece, is right on the money.

That one aspect that each time Bush was to show up there would be 4 copies of that form in various agencies is particularly relevant to me. If this is the case, I want to see some proof.

Bush is dancing around the issue like Michael Jackson on (Bush's) coke. The lie is falling apart around him, and I think its about damn time.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:39 pm
Michael Moore doesn't deserve any answers and he couldn't care less if he got them or not. He's only out to be a pain in Bush's rump.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
fishin' wrote:
Michael Moore doesn't deserve any answers...

Fine, maybe he doesn't. But I sure as hell think that the families of the over 500 dead soldiers do, as do the American populace at large.

This is hilarious. Hard core Bush lovers have ABSOLUTELY no good answers to the questions posed, so it immediately becomes an attack on Moore.

Such integrity! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:54 pm
It's pretty well known that Micheal Moore is an ass. It's common knowledge. I was simply pointing out the fact that he continues to prove what most people know.

Imagine me pointing to a Rush Limbuagh story regarding Bill Clinton and asking you to answer his questions...what would be the point?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 02:22 pm
It's the "knowledge" of the common mind.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 02:26 pm
Heywood wrote:
fishin' wrote:
Michael Moore doesn't deserve any answers...

Fine, maybe he doesn't. But I sure as hell think that the families of the over 500 dead soldiers do, as do the American populace at large.

This is hilarious. Hard core Bush lovers have ABSOLUTELY no good answers to the questions posed, so it immediately becomes an attack on Moore.

Such integrity! Rolling Eyes

Based on your previous posts you're hardly in a position to lecture anyone on integrity. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 02:57 pm
Mc, Lets just pretend someone other than Moore asked these questions, Ok? Doesn't change the fact that Bush lovers fall flat on their face in trying to find valid answer. And if Rush Limbaugh asked a solid question about Clinton, I'd respect that. A question is a question.

and fish, you'll find nothing less than total honesty in any/all of my previous posts. Maybe you should try re-reading them. Vague assults on my character are not appreciated.

But not to take away from the original post:

We are STILL waiting for a substantial defense to the questions that Moore has posted from anyone who thinks they can answer them....
(lets be honest, though.... we probably won't get any)
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:19 pm
Legitimate questions
Since GW Bush declared that he is a war Pres. and has invaded two countries, killed thousands by his orders, the relevance of his military service is germaine. It matters not who exactly is asking relevant questions, what matters is relevant truthful answers.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:21 pm
Bush is probably a crummy guy. Most politicians are. IS there some surprise? I'm a conservative and personally I hate Michael Moore. Sure this article may bring up some points but so what? I persopnally dont care if my president avoided a war when he was young or drunk and drove when he was twenty. I worry more about the more serious acts *cough*Clinton*cough*.

Also, I would like to add that I'm not a total BUsh supporter. If it were up to me id like to elect a differetn republican president.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:01 pm
Quote:

Source
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:22 pm
Suck-up
Nowhere in that suck-up diatribe does it say the Dubya was actually there. The real topic should be: Cocaine arrest and refusal to take the reqauired physical in that same time frame.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:31 pm
Quote:
While most of America was sleeping and Mr. Kerry was playing antiwar games with Hanoi Jane Fonda, we were answering 3 a.m. scrambles for who knows what inbound threat over the Canadian subarctic, the cold North Atlantic and the shark-filled Gulf of Mexico

That would have been the North Vietnamese airforce attacking the continental United States?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:56 pm
Hey, Michael Moore isn't asking the questions, I am asking the goddamned questions here and I want to know where the hell he was every goddamned day of 1972 and 1973. Okay? I want to know because about sixteen of my best friends are on the goddamned wall, okay? So I care whether this guy who lands on carriers is the same guy who skated through while the rest of us slobs took it up the ass for our country. Okay? This is about what we do as citizens for our nation. Show me the time served and you earn my respect, slide by while the rest of us die and you'll get nothing from me, not even the time of day.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:27 pm
Actually, Moore is wrong, many of us are not forgiving. I want Bush in jail for treason, with a large cellmate, and no lube.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:23 am
Ouch! You want him to put on a more pained expression than when being interviewed by Russert?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:26 am
(I thought the butt plug he must wear to account for his curious strutting style of walk had gone astray, perhaps entering his brain).
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 01:57 am
I thought it was haemorrhoids, from having his head so far....
0 Replies