What is your favorite Fenway memory?

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:53 am
I know there is another thread on 100 years - but this is on your own personal favortie memory. It is hard to come up with one - but I have two that come to mind.

What is your favorite (could be a simple personal - my first time at the park) or something in regard to the game - defining play or game.

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 09:53 am
My two - the bloody sock and Varitek with the glove up A-Rod face.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:03 am
@Linkat,
I saw Game One of the 1967 World Serious game (St L Cards) with my brother. Highlight of my fandom to this day. Jose Santiago pitched and matched up Hall-of-Fame Bob Gibson for 7 innings. Jose even hit a HR himself.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:19 am
@Linkat,
Since it's about ones favorite Fenway memory then I'll restrict it to those moments where I visited the stadium itself for a game. I say my favorite memory was the last time I went to see the Red Sox play at Fenway.

Though I can't exactly remember the year. Maybe 2003 or 2006ish. It was when Marietta and me took a road trip from NYC to Boston to catch a game. Can't remember who they played or if they won that day.

Taking a diehard Yankees fan to the ONE TRUE MECCA OF BASEBALL and not see her spontaneously combust when entering was a part of a really great day.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 04:02 pm
Third game we went to - 2009? I think.

It was less for the game than for how I felt. We were in those tiny narrow seats and I could fit into them. Funny what grabs you. But every time we go, it's fantastic (we're going again in August).
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 05:08 pm
Most folks don't recall it now, but back in the fifties a Fenway sellout was
rare. You could almost always walk up to the window on game day and get
reasonable tickets. I remember there being some sort of supermarket
promotion and a bunch of us kids (we were about 9 or 10 years old I think)
got tickets for a game. We took the MTA into Kenmore and walked up to
the park. I was the only first-timer. Most of the others had been taken to
games by their Dads, but my old man was long gone.

I've read a lot of accounts of that moment when you first come out of the
tunnel and see the field. The grass is a gorgeous green, the players
uniforms are white enough to make your eyes water and the red trim is
too perfect to be real. This is it. Fenway Park.

Wow. Just wow.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 06:19 pm
@George,
And back then, Geroge, the bleacher seats were only .75 cents. But that's probably before your time. I'm talking about the 1950s.
George

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 06:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
. . . But that's probably before your time. I'm talking about the 1950s.
Me too. I turned ten in the summer of '55.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 06:53 pm
@George,
That's how I feel about the Campo in Siena. You come through one of eleven narrow entries into a timeless space with a lot of history. I love spaces as surprise (and don't want to be shown photos much in guide books). The whole tunnel to great space thing is, ah, primal.

Never been to Fenway myself. Just Chavez Ravine back in the sixties.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 09:15 am

became a baseball fan in '75, so it would have to be the fisk dinger that clanked off the 'fair' pole.

first game i attended was an inter-league game in '98 versus the mets.
that first view of the field is indeed breath-taking...
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:02 pm
May 1st, 2006

It was Johnny Damon's first game back at Fenway as a Yankee. He got a few cheers, but mostly boo'd. He went hitless in four at bats. Served him right!

It was also at that game that the Sox brought back Doug Mirabelli to catch Wakefield after reacquiring him from the Padres. He arrived 13 minutes before game time, and it was a big surprise to the crowd. There were more cheers for him than Damon.

It was a fun time and a good game. Red Sox beat the Yankees 7-3
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:46 am
@George,
Yeah I don't recall it - most likely because I wasn't alive in the 50s!

But I do remember - maybe about 14 or 15 years ago (bk - or before kids); my future husband just moved out and there used to be red sox stores where they sold red sox crap at the malls. On game days - in the morning we would call them and see if they had any available tickets. On game day often times, they would release tickets last minute and you could pick them up at these red sox stores. We used to get the best seats right behind home plate doing this.

But alas - now these stores do not exist and you have to actually go to Fenway to see if they have any available tickets.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:51 am
I remember a personal goodie - day after our wedding, (yes believe it or not I spent the day after my wedding not on an island or some other romantic place - but at Fenway park) - the Red Sox were kind enough to allow us to buy group tickets - even though it was not a game that they had slated as getting group tickets.

The person when I called group ticket sales got her manager on the phone for me - they were kind enough to sell us group tickets so I could invite anyone who wanted to come to a Red Sox game, the day after our wedding. We had people from Montana, Washington, California (and of course MA) - at our wedding. And we surprised them with tickets to the game - they made home made signs saying things like MT loves the Red Sox and stuff like that. Now granted they were probably about the worst seats, but it was so special bringing my husband's grandparents, mom, siblings and other family to Fenway.

They were so happy just to go to Fenway Park.

And then we flew out and did the island thingy.
0 Replies