Enclothed cognition (hoodie wearing revisited)

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 07:23 pm
@maxdancona,
It's not just one study. Enclothed cognition is an area of study.

The brain is interesting, lots more to learn about how it functions. That one or more of us thinks the results of a study are foolish doesn't mean they are.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 07:34 pm
@ehBeth,
You didn't even read the paper, did you? Read the introduction.

They invented the term "enclothed cognition", and there is only this one rather basic not very rigorous study to back it up. A healthy skepticism is an important part of scientific literacy. You don't need to get upset with me just because I am skeptical of something you want to believe.

There isn't much research here. There is every reason to be skeptical.

Quote:
We introduce the term “enclothed cognition” to describe the systematic influence that clothes have on the wearer's psychological processes. We offer a potentially unifying framework to integrate past findings and capture the diverse impact that clothes can have on the wearer by proposing that enclothed cognition
involves the co-occurrence of two independent factors—the symbolic meaning of the clothes and the physical experience of wearing them. As a first test of our enclothed cognition perspective, the current research
explored the effects of wearing a lab coat.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:17 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I can't imagine that a policeman could not feel different when in uniform. I haven't ever really known a policeman.

I have known a lot of firefighters and I know they are very different off duty than they are when they're on.

Even more, I know my brother, who is soldier. His whole being is different when he's in uniform. He's still my brother,
but he's "other". I'm always surprised by it even though I understand it. He'll look at me and wink and I know he's in there but.....

I can't explain it. I've got more thinking to do.

I do agree that your mood effects your mental process. And I do think one's attire affects their mood.
Sometimes people enjoy even just standing near those who r clothed in authority.
In 1 case, a trial judge found an unexpected need to change courtrooms, in the middle of a trial.
He used a nearby elevator available to the public to arrive at his next courtroom, to continue the trial.
He probably shud have removed his judicial robe, but he did not.
In the elevator, people were smiling broadly, beaming, while offering pleasant comments to him.
Thay gave the appearance of being thrilled by the experience.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:17 am
@boomerang,
The show, i think, you would find a treat.

No, the garment changes nothing. It's a big pain in the ass for the dancers and the people putting on the show if everybody and their uncles are wandering around, trying to get in early (so many people, incredibly, seem to think they are special, an exception to the rules, and that i should know that just by looking at them). The garment is just a prop which helps me keep the prols at bay.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:25 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
One of us doesn't understand how science works.

If you think your pesonal experience weighs in the balance, that one would be you.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:26 am
@Setanta,
Why Setanta?

Science is about critical thinking. Critical thinking is about questioning. Personal experience is not proof, but it is certainly relevant especially when it comes to social science. Everyone in this thread is talking about personal experience and it is hard to imagine any discussion on this topic where personal experience wasn't an important part of the discussion.

There are two issues here that should be considered separately.

First, there isn't yet much scientific support for this hypothesis. We have exactly one experiment on the hypothesis of "enclothed congnition". And, there are problems with the study including the fact it was small scale, it was in one environment (college) and they didn't do anything to isolate the expectations of the researches from the subjects.

The second is that in the application of this experiment to real life. In this case I have offered several examples where it doesn't. People Steve Jobs is a stunning example.

My first point is scientific. There isn't much scientific support to this hypothesis. This one study is not very conclusive, and if you read the study they acknowledge as much. They are opening a discussion and proposing a term. They aren't claiming they have resolved anything.

My second point is non-scientific, but still a valid point. Since the science on this issue is far from resolved, it is complete valid to use personal real world experience to either support or contradict the hypothesis. Of course this isn't scientific proof.

But combined with the fact that the study here isn't very rigorous, it sure is a reason to be skeptical.

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:40 am
@maxdancona,
First, because off the very old, and rightly revered statistical principle of the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. Suppose you allege that all i ever do is argue with what you post. If, every time you post, and i don't argue with you, you wrote that in a notebook, and kept a separate count of the number of posts you made which i did argue with, you'd have a base line from which to form a reasonable comparison. You'd then be able to make a statistically reliable statement about the claim, providing there were sufficient data for a statistically significant sample. To merely say, however "you always do that" without having a statistical leg to stand on is fallacious.

But people don't do that (carefully catalogue information) in such cases, which is one reason, the main reason, why anecdotal information is justifiably dismissed in scientific research.

Your claims about scientific support for this thesis and flawed methodology are mere ipse dixit pronouncements. We have no reason to assume that they are true just because you say so. Nor do we have any reason to dismiss those pronouncements. Scientifically speaking, though, they are meaningless unless you can substantiate your claims.

It is never valid to use anecdotal information to establish whether or not any claim or thesis is "scientific." It's fine to be skeptical--but claiming a thesis is not valid because you are not satisfied with the amount of data or the methodology is just as false a position as it would be to claim it is a valid thesis despite a lack of data or a questionable methodology. The only valid response is "I don't know."
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:56 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Your claims about scientific support for this thesis and flawed methodology are mere ipse dixit pronouncements. We have no reason to assume that they are true just because you say so. Nor do we have any reason to dismiss those pronouncements. Scientifically speaking, though, they are meaningless unless you can substantiate your claims.

Read the study yourself. The link is right above.

It is a fact that they invented the term "enclothed cognition" and then created this single study to back it up.

It is a fact that only had one study with three parts with between 46 and 90 participants with an average age of 19-20 all taken from one university.

It is a fact that although they describe carefully their experimental setup (which is a good thing) they did nothing to isolate the subjects from the expectations of the researchers.

And it is a fact that this experiment was a contrived experiment that lasted a very short time. There is no evidence (on either side) that this effect would carry over to the real world particularly over the long term.

I am not substantiating claims. I am questioning the claims being made by this study by pointing out possible problems or different explanations for the findings.

Critical thinking is a legitimate part of science. I am not trying to prove that they are wrong. I am simply pointing out that the claims being made on this thread haven't been proven right.

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:05 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Critical thinking is a legitimate part of science. I am not trying to prove that they are wrong. I am simply pointing out that the claims being made on this thread haven't been proven right.

Well, no that's not quite accurate. In fact, you made the snarky comment that "one of us doesn't understand how science works." I simply pointed that if you consider your personal experience to be scientifically valid, then the one who doesn't understand how science works is you. Your rant against this thesis is of no interest to me, i am just pointing out that anecdotal "evidence" is not evidence at all, from a scientific point of view.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:23 am
@Setanta,
My snarky comment was in response to an earlier snarky comment. It was counter-snark. I feel like I have gotten on the wrong side of a A2K clique by daring to question someone (not that I care that much).

In science, the person making a hypothesis has the burden of proof. It is legitimate to raise questions. The hypothesis will be accepted when all of the questions are answered scientifically. The questions don't have any burden of scientific proof, they are just questions. It is perfectly reasonable to raise issues where a study falls short, this is part of the scientific process. For preliminary studies (such as this one) this is quite common.

But I don't think this is about science. Rather I suspect I offended you by questioning the wrong person here and that this has nothing to do with the science.
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I feel like I have gotten on the wrong side of a A2K clique by daring to question someone (not that I care that much).

Oh, poor bay-bee . . .

Quote:
But I don't think this is about science. Rather I suspect I offended you by questioning the wrong person here and that this has nothing to do with the science.

Actually, if you read my posts again, you'll see that i have simply pointed out that personal experience is not valid scientific evidence. However, if you want to play the noble martyr, help yourself.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:33 am
@Setanta,
If you read my posts again, you will see that I have never claimed my personal experience as any sort of scientific proof (there is a difference between evidence and proof).

But I am not trying to prove anything. I am expressing skepticism. I am raising questions and pointing out ways this study falls short. Personal experience is not valid for scientific proof, but it perfectly valid for raising questions.

Skepticism is an important part of scientific literacy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:37 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Are you suggesting that I shouldn't question the claims of a single study even though the experimental method used wasn't very rigorous, the claims were overblown and the results contradict personal experience?

One of us doesn't understand how science works. (emphasis added, obviously)

This was your post, Max. Whether or not the results of any study, of any methodological rigor (or none at all) contradict your personal experience is scientifically meaningless. You can continue to attempt to twist this into a discussion of anything else at all--it won't change my criticism of your comment, which is valid
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:46 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You don't need to get upset with me just because I am skeptical of something you want to believe.

I don't "want to believe" anything here. I think it is an interesting area of research as I said in my first post on the thread.

ehBeth wrote:
Interesting area of research. Definitely gives me something to think about.

My curiosity about the study and area of research is what caused me to look up the pdf of the paper and to look up some of the references quoted there.

~~~

I have also been interested to watch your reaction to the research and other posters' responses, but there's nothing here for me to "get upset" about. It's just another aspect of social psychology study eh.
boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:53 am
@maxdancona,
This research is new but it is an offshoot of a much larger body of research in "embodied cognition". I think we'll be hearing a lot more about it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 10:45 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I have also been interested to watch your reaction to the research and other posters' responses, but there's nothing here for me to "get upset" about. It's just another aspect of social psychology study eh.

Kinda makes one wonder about the change in cognition that occurs in the context of sitting down at a computer.

I work at home, and sometimes have trouble switching from "family mode" to "work mode."
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 10:50 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You didn't even read the paper, did you? Read the introduction.

They invented the term "enclothed cognition",

yes, I read the paper.

I did make an error in my earlier post - the area of study I meant to refer to was embodied cognition (got buggered up by reading the thread title above the posting box).
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:01 am
@DrewDad,
ehBeth wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Kinda makes one wonder about the change in cognition that occurs in the context of sitting down at a computer.

I work at home, and sometimes have trouble switching from "family mode" to "work mode."
As far as I can remember,
I have only had a ME mode.
In the past, when I have gotten new jobs,
I adapted and adopted appropriate demeanor,
if change was in order, but that was all ME.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:27 pm
Thanks again for that link, ehBeth. That was an interesting read. I found this very telling in relation to the "hoodie" thread when I was trying to determine whether it was dangerous to send my son out wearing a hoodie.

Quote:
In contrast, people who wear large hoods may be more likely to
administer electric shocks because wearing a large hood or other
types of identity-concealing clothes might conjure up images
of robbers, terrorists, and aggressive or deviant behaviors.

Would a boy be likely to become more dangerous?

The whole thing reminded me very much of the Standford Prison Experiment so I went back to watch a long remembered documentary about it:

6 minutes in, one of the participants says something very interesting in light of this new research.

Fascinating.
0 Replies