I almost got a baby goat today

jcboy

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:18 pm
Yes it’s true. We were driving to our friends house for a pool party today and drove by Animal House Pet Store where they had a sign in the window, “Baby Goats”. I told Marco turn the car around I have to see the baby goats!

There were two of them, the cutest things I’ve ever seen! They were a hundred and ninty dollars each, I almost took home both of them but Marco talked me out of it. A friend of mine once told me he had pet goats when he was a kid and they made great pets. I’m not sure how well they would get along with the three dogs though.
Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 6,644 • Replies: 60

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:22 pm
@jcboy,
They'd probably be fine with the dogs, but your garden would be reduced to rubble though.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:24 pm
@Ceili,
Yes it would and its a good thing we had the car and not the truck or we would have two goats in the yard tonight.

Rolling Eyes
sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:34 pm
@Ceili,
Yes, goats eat and eat and eat and eat and then eat some more.

Doesn't matter what it is, they'll eat it.

I used to work in a zoo, and when I'd spend time in the goat area (children's zoo/ petting zoo), they'd always tell us to make sure we didn't have anything loose. No shoelaces, shorts should be close-fitting and not baggy, etc. 'Cause the goats would just start chomping on any old thing. One of them tried to eat my ID tag but I wrestled it away from him.

The babies were cute, don't get me wrong. Very sproingy and playful and adorable. But man could they eat.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:54 pm
@sozobe,
Yes they will! They will devour everything they can swallow!

Um Marco good luck lol.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:09 pm
@jcboy,
goats poop twice what they eat. and they are escape artists.

Imagine the new tricks they could teach Frankie...

and $190 is about 3 times market value.

I'll post pictures of mine in a coupla months when I get them...
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:16 pm
@Rockhead,
sheep are dumb and can be kept as livestock. Goats are smart and will get into stuff you aint gonna like. I had goats for less than 4 days before I took em back to the goat farm . Goats will also eat wooden fences just like horses do, sheep will eat your grass, goats will eat everything thats green or branchy. They are natural browsers.

My stupid move was once I almost bought a mule. YA never wanna give your partner anything to use at parties. "Hey Morgan, care if I tell the story about the goats?"
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
Laughing (lotta goats up in my area of Humboldt County)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:54 am
@MMarciano,
Aw, but look at what you missed out on, Marco!
How could you possibly resist?! Wink Smile

http://www.cuterush.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/babygoat.jpg

OK, the baby goat is out.
So what'll it be next, jc?

jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 04:29 am
@msolga,
It’s a good thing we didn’t get one, I woke up this morning thinking having a goat in the yard probably wouldn’t be such a good idea.

Now they do have some cute ferrets, but one of them tried to bite me.
Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 04:52 am
Goats sure are good eatin', though. What with all the south Asian Muslims and people from the Islands here in town, goat is easy to come by.
jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 05:25 am
@farmerman,
Of course, I would love to hear the goat story. I may change my mind and stop by and get one today!
Adam4Adam

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 05:28 am
@Setanta,
Yeah they are, plus you can get goat milk and cheese from them Very Happy
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 05:34 am
And he complains about rednecks in the neighborhood Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 05:39 am
@Adam4Adam,
I once briefly worked for a dairy goat breeder in North Carolina. The females are sold based on their milk production over a ten month period. The males are sold based on the milk production of the three most productive females they have sired. So, to establish those figures, the goats are regularly milked. However, you can't sell goat's milk or goat's milk products in North Carolina (or couldn't then, in the early 1980s). So, although the family used goat's milk, and made some cheese, they had to dump 95% or more of the milk.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 07:39 am
@jcboy,
Are there any zoning issues locally?
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 08:09 am
@Ragman,
I'll bet there are within the city limits, he'll probably get kicked out of St. Pete and sent back to California Very Happy
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 08:36 am
@jcboy,
Some times you get the goat, and some times the goat gets you...I would suggest a nanny... They are more fun to milk, more fun in bed, and they do not piss all over themselves like the billies, and butt you from ever possible angle when you might have something else going on...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 08:41 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

They'd probably be fine with the dogs, but your garden would be reduced to rubble though.
Ya!!! I had a friend with a couple of goats once; and he said they would find the damdest places to get into, like the rafters of his barn and junk piles so he would be lucky to get them pulled out by their heels... He finally gave up on them and got rid of them...I would have et them... You know: you used to by my pet, and my friend, and now you are my meal...How do you sound with feta???
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:06 am
I’m thinking of buying a pet donkey, well with gas prices being almost $4.00 a gallon I figure I can save a couple hundred bucks a month. I wonder how much it cost to feed a donkey? Very Happy