that which? why the author had to use "that" here? It seems redundant

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:31 pm

Context:

Four years ago, I spoke to you of a New Beginning, and we have accomplished that. But in another sense, our New Beginning is a continuation of that beginning created two centuries ago when, for the first time in history, government, the people said, was not our master, it is our servant; its only power that which we the people allow it to have.

That system has never failed us

More:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/inaugurals.php

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:58 am
@oristarA,
Oh. The ancient English is disliked by anyone here?
33export

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 12:44 pm
@oristarA,
I think that that which should have followed the verb is.
that is a predicate nominative (pronoun); which is its associated relative pronoun.

Read all about it here.
0 Replies

JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:30 pm
@oristarA,

... ;its only power [is] that [power] which we the people allow it to have.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:56 pm
Thank you both
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:13 am
@oristarA,
Ancient, or Old English as it is called is a foreign language mostly known by a few scholars. Middle English can usually be read in the same manner as a Spanish speaker can more or less read Portugese. Your quote is modern English.

I don't know if you care about stuff like that, or not.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:46 am
for the first time in history, government ... our servant ... its only power [being] that [power] which we the people allow it to have.

Modern (not "ancient") English; a little formal but perfectly correct.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:58 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Four years ago, I spoke to you of a New Beginning, bla bla bla ...

Have you ever heard such a crock of sour owl manure? And lots of really gullible people swallow that, hook, line and sinker.
McTag

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 12:03 am
@JTT,

I really don't know why Oristar tortures himself, and us, with such turgid texts.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:53 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I really don't know why Oristar tortures himself, and us, with such turgid texts.

Wink I suggest: For your pleasure, give a thread that I make a glance before you decide to give it an answer or not.

Because I have been, like an archaeologist, attempting to excavate the root of modern thoughts. It is no more a torture for me, rather, there are much joys along the way.

Rest assured, McTag, just a few threads of mine will involve such turgid texts. For example, that hell of a sentence with lots of "ifs" has showed a clear structure to me.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 01:59 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Four years ago, I spoke to you of a New Beginning, bla bla bla ...

Have you ever heard such a crock of sour owl manure? And lots of really gullible people swallow that, hook, line and sinker.

Look at anything with a scientific and critical eye, which is my manner of observation, JTT. Doctors find secrets about health in shits - that is why they want a patient to deliver them his/her feces in order to check it out.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:23 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
there are much joys along the way.

Indeed there are. Well said, oristarA.

(Even though it should be either 'much joy' or 'many joys')
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 06:08 pm
@McTag,
I was more wondering how Reagan, any of these US politicians, gets away with peddling such absolute bullshit, McTag.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:12 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I was more wondering how Reagan, any of these US politicians, gets away with peddling such absolute bullshit, McTag.

How about give us something that is not bullshit in your eye, JTT.
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:29 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
How about [give] giving us something that is not bullshit in your eye, JTT.

Nah, Ori, it just crushes Americans' egos to learn that theirs is a giant Potemkin Village.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
How about [give] giving us something that is not bullshit in your eye, JTT.

Nah, Ori, it just crushes Americans' egos to learn that theirs is a giant Potemkin Village.

Oh... I see. The Americans serve as a vent to JTT's anger that is unique in its kind. Wink
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:46 pm
@oristarA,
No, Ori.

The US is, by virtue of its sordid past and its stupendous levels of hypocrisy, the focus of a crystal clear honesty that is highly disturbing to many.
oristarA

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 02:55 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

No, Ori.

The US is, by virtue of its sordid past and its stupendous levels of hypocrisy, the focus of a crystal clear honesty that is highly disturbing to many.

All countries in the rest of the world are far worse than US? Or, is there a country which can be pround of its clear past and honorable present?
JTT

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 07:41 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
All countries in the rest of the world are far worse than US? Or, is there a country which can be pround of its clear past and honorable present?

That's absolutely false, Ori. Not only is it false but pointing to someone or some country that is as bad or worse than another does not in any way clear one or a country of their war crimes, their ongoing state terrorism.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 07:41 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

That's absolutely false, Ori. Not only is it false but pointing to someone or some country that is as bad or worse than another does not in any way clear one or a country of their war crimes, their ongoing state terrorism.