Is it possible for a person to have no beliefs at all?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 01:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Wiggle room; what has taking a position on right or wrong have anything to do with this discussion. Heck, almost everybody who posts on a2k think they believe the same thing as everybody else on right or wrong.

Even you saw the negative over the positive. Are you really an asshole, Frank?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 01:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I wonder why are you entertaining an idiot that cannot even grasp the contradictions of its own beliefs when someone is kind enough to enumerate them...have you anything to prove ? To much free time ? go figure...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:07 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You're good at ad hominems, aren't you? You can't seem to grasp the concept reality.

Besides, you're just a figment of everybody's imagination when they read your posts.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You are the one who is claiming reality is a socially negotiated concept all the while not explaining WHAT and with WHOM anything is being negotiated once there is no fundamental reality...either you defend solipsism or you have a logical contradiction to solve, regarding set theory....earlier you were confronted with this contradiction in a more subtler way and quite obviously you were left floating on air as your level of comprehension equals a 5 year old toddler...
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Wiggle room; what has taking a position on right or wrong have anything to do with this discussion.

Damn near everything, ci. Damn near everything!

Quote:
Heck, almost everybody who posts on a2k think they believe the same thing as everybody else on right or wrong.

If you say so...I guess that is what you "believe." Me...I do not do "believing."

Quote:
Even you saw the negative over the positive.

I did indeed.

Quote:
Are you really an asshole, Frank?

Well, earlier you wrote: “Reality is based on individual observation and perceptions.,.”

So…observe and perceive, ci…and you tell me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You wrote,
Quote:
You are the one who is claiming reality is a socially negotiated concept...

You also have great imagination; putting words into my posts that you won't find. In addition to crediting me with words I never spoke and using ad hominems, what else are you capable of?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I observe and perceive. I don't know you well enough to determine whether you are an asshole or not. That's the reason I asked you. You probably know yourself better than anybody else.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
I wonder why are you entertaining an idiot that cannot even grasp the contradictions of its own beliefs when someone is kind enough to enumerate them...have you anything to prove ? To much free time ? go figure..

(Not sure if this will answer your question, Fil, but I have to be circumspect and subtle about this for reasons that may or may not be apparent. I hope you get my drift. )

There are times when I want very much to get a particular point across to the group...but cannot seem to do it using my own words. When that happens, I try to steer someone else to make the point for me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Frank, I observe and perceive. I don't know you well enough to determine whether you are an asshole or not. That's the reason I asked you. You probably know yourself better than anybody else.

But ci, just a few posts ago you wrote: “You're really a nice guy, except you're really an asshole.”

Why would you say that if you do not know me well enough to determine whether I am an asshole or not?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 02:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's right; it's a choice between the good and the bad. The emphasis was made to make a point about the different ways they can be shown. It's still the reader's choice. The emphasis was mine.

Are you influenced by one person's opinion?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 03:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's right; it's a choice between the good and the bad. The emphasis was made to make a point about the different ways they can be shown. It's still the reader's choice. The emphasis was mine.

I went back to the thread to which this is a response...and I cannot fathom what you are trying to say here. Sorry, not trying to bust chops. I just do not see how this fits into what you were responding to.

Quote:
Are you influenced by one person's opinion?

At times, yes; more often, no.

On the occasions where I have been influenced by one person's opinion, I usually see it as a defining moment, something momentous...an epiphany, if you will.

(Bobby Kennedy for one, if you are going to ask! Carl Sagan for another.)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 03:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Reality is based on individual observation and perceptions. To tell somebody he doesn't know reality is foolish.

...either here you meant Solipsism, on which case you should had use my observations and perceptions, or if you did indeed meant, as it seams to recognize in the plural, that in fact there are agents other then you, consequently and obviously, reality can no longer be only based on perceptions as perceptions are not other people themselves although again they might refer to the existence of other people and things, in which case once more reality can no longer be only based on observations and perceptions alone...so I gather on one side you imply reality is subject to social negotiation and that there is no reality beyond that, and on the other end you imply I am being absurd when to make sure I ask you if you recognize that others do exist, namely family and friends to which you conclude I am joking you because they obviously do exist...

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Reality is based on individual observation and perceptions. To tell somebody he doesn't know reality is foolish.

...either here you meant Solipsism, on which case you should had use my observations and perceptions, or if you did indeed meant, as it seams to recognize in the plural, that in fact there are agents other then you, consequently and obviously, reality can no longer be only based on perceptions as perceptions are not other people themselves although, again, they might refer to the existence of other people and things, in which case, once more, reality can no longer be only based on observations and perceptions alone...so I gather on one side you imply reality is subject to social negotiation and that there is no reality beyond that, and on the other end you imply I am being absurd when to make sure I ask you if you recognize that others do exist, namely family and friends to which you conclude I am joking you because they obviously do exist...

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 03:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Why in heaven should I use "your" observations and perceptions? I already understand my personal reality, and nothing you say will change what I think and believe of my reality, and have already described it. Trying to twist it to your own "observation and perceptons" is your problem, not mine. You'd spend your time better if you went out and flew a kite, or walked on a very short pier for a long walk.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 03:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
...are you totally dumb ??? WHO said you should use my perceptions ??????

Can you read what the sentence is logically implying ?

you did n´t said reality (which does exist independently of the subject interpretations) still is subjected to interpretation, you actually said, Reality IS BASED on individual observation and perceptions.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 03:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You wrote,
Quote:
...either here you meant Solipsism, on which case you should had use my observations and perceptions...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 04:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So ? That there are perceptions in the world is not an argument to say that the world is made exclusively of perceptions unless of course you are a Solipsist...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 04:46 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
"Perceptions" are all inclusive. What does it "leave out?"

Quote:
perceptions plural of per·cep·tion (Noun)
Noun:
The ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.
The state of being or process of becoming aware of something in such a way.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 04:55 pm
Gotta tell ya -- it's been a highly amusing couple of days watching you three having the time of your lives arguing over exactly nothing whatsoever. Amazing stuff! Keep it up. There's never a dull moment on this thread.
Rolling Eyes Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 04:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Glad you're enjoying it. Mr. Green
0 Replies