who watches Ancient Aliens History channel series ?

north

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 04:31 pm

I find this series very fascinating

you ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,445 • Replies: 27
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 04:33 pm
@north,
I find it utterly ridiculous.

We channel-surf on occasion, and it took me a while to cotton to the fact that the History Channel is now the Aliens Channel. You'll be watching something that seems perfectly OK and then all of a sudden it's all, "And this footprint obviously means that aliens were here 5,000 years ago." Um, what?
north

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 04:55 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I find it utterly ridiculous.

Quote:
We channel-surf on occasion, and it took me a while to cotton to the fact that the History Channel is now the Aliens Channel.

there is more to the History channel than this series
this series is just one of many , of which none are related

Quote:
You'll be watching something that seems perfectly OK and then all of a sudden it's all, "And this footprint obviously means that aliens were here 5,000 years ago." Um, what?

think for yourself

but there is lots that we know that leads to some interesting thoughts upon our Ancient past
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 05:14 pm
@north,
i've never seen the show, but i do listen to Coast to Coast Am, which often covers the same subjects, i don't particularly believe any of the theories put forward but do find them interesting, in a sort of science fiction theatre sort of way
north

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 05:36 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i've never seen the show, but i do listen to Coast to Coast Am, which often covers the same subjects, i don't particularly believe any of the theories put forward but do find them interesting, in a sort of science fiction theatre sort of way

fair enough

any other thoughts by other people
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 06:10 pm
@north,
There is little history on the history channel and it is a damn shame given all the wonderful areas of known human history that could be cover.

One or two shows having nothing to do with history I still find interesting such as the Pawn Stars that is being shown on that channel but all in all it is a write off.

Ancient Aliens is an insult to anyone intelligent and is nothing but poorly written fiction.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:42 am
@BillRM,
ACTUALLY HISTORY 2 is another separate channel in which actual HISTORY is presented. Theyve had series on Braddocks "March", the Roman Inquisition, The Reformation, etc etc. H2 is the go-to channel.
I saw Ancient Aliens once and must remind you of the implied question mark after the title. The show I saw had to do with the Nazca lines and was about as stupidly presented with von Deniken having a main part. I think the entire show was merely produced around him.
I know several producers of documentaries and usually thats the way things proceed. History 2 just does away with the "aliens in our closets" and "Bigfoot "EVIDENCE" types of shows.

Guys like gungasnake are fascinated by Ancient Aliens because they first"BELIEVE" in envionmental conditions that were ediscussed in some legends and "Foundation Myths" . It goes way beyond having an open skeptical mind and more or less you become an acolyte and an unquestioning fanatic . They wind up denying real evidence and only buy into the legends which , according to someone like gunga
"if it aint true it oughta be so Ill accept it as true unquestionably"

Some people believe that dinosaurs exist today or have existed in recent history. To date, no evidence or clear data supporting either conclusion has been found. Sev eral fossil dinosaurs have been stepped on by travelers in the ancient Creatceous chalk beds and other areas of Europe and Asia. These fossils had led to legends and myths of "great beasts". Yeh its true that the fossils were of great beasts but only not representative of animals that lived in recent times

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:53 am
Oooo . . . i love the opportunity to use one of my stock lines. The History Channel bears exactly that relation to actual history as Christian Science does to actual science.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 04:58 am
@Setanta,
does your cable carry History 2?
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:00 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman, I remember one show on history channel where they was selling the idea that a small black hole was lying on the floor of the Atlantic ocean off the East Coast and even had a box mark black hole detector with an LED on top of it mounted on a boat!!!!!

Never mind that any black hole would end up at the center of the earth in short order, and that by modern theory a tiny black hole could only could exist for nanoseconds before evaporation by way of quantum tunneling occur.

I almost throw a book through my TV screen on that show.

As far as H2 it seem somewhat better but I had found that it still often run nonsense.

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:04 am
@BillRM,
I dont recall H2 running any "nonsense" unless you have issues with the spin they pesented on actual historical events?

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:21 am
@farmerman,
Van Daniken published his first book, Chariots of the Gods, at the same time he was being prosecuted for fraud in his failed attempt to get going in the tourist hotel business. He did a year in prison (out of three in the sentence) and used the proceeds from his book to pay his fines and repay his investors.

But van Danikan was the granddaddy of the rhetorical question book industry. So, for example, van Daniken basically says that if the designs on the plain of Nazca were not laid out from overhead, how was it done? Any number of idiots with genuine academic credentials have tried to show how it could have been done, including a NSF team who went to Peru to show how the natives could have built hot air baloons. No one looked at the obvious objection that even with modern technology, it would be a nightmare to attempt to do it with somebody flying overhead controling the men on the ground. The obvious answer to what van Danikan offers as a rhetorical question is that they used grid transfer. You draw a small version of your image, lay out a grid over it, then draw a huge grid on the site, and copy the contents of each "box" of the grid on to the large version. He also shows an image from a Mayan carving and asks what was for him a rhetoical question to the effect of "if this not an image of an ancient atronaut manipulating the controls in his spacecraft, what is it?" Well, that's same technique of the poofists in evolution threads who drone on about cosmic origins and the origin of life (which, of course, is not a concern for evolution), and take the line that if you can't explain it, they get to insert their imaginary friend superstition. Just because someone can't answer your rhetorical question of what the person in the image is doing does not mean that van Daniken's bullshit is true. (I have also read, but can't vouch for, a claim that van Daniken altered the image from the tracery of the engraing before publishing his book--keep in mind he was being prosecuted for fraud in another venture when the book was published.)

But as a publishing strategy to suck their hard-earned cash out the gullible, it was brilliant. In 1947, the United States Army Air Force was running a top secret project called Operation Moghul in which they released high altitude weather ballons trailing little, flimsy wooden boxes covered in metal foil. The point was to use them as passive radar detectors which would reflect Soviet radar signals, allowing the USAAF to identify their radar sites. I don't know if the project was successful, but in northwestern New Mexico, a farm caretaker found the wreckage of what was very likely a Project Moghul balloon, and reported it to the Army. Naturally, the Army immediately began a cover-up. It was a slow news day in what journalists call the silly season, and a reporter in Roswell, New Mexico published a story about flying saucers. The Army latched on to that, and began acting suspiciously in a ham-handed manner, and loudly denying that it was flying saucer wreckage, which makes a good deal of sense if they were trying to divert attention from Project Moghul. The story died away after a while, and was forgotten for 25 years.

But other scam artists had taken note of van Daniken's success, and in 1972, one of these jokers published a book about "the Roswell incident." They were off and running then, and it became a cottage industry in Roswell, which doesn't have much else in the way of tourist attractions. Naturally, if you pay them handsomely, people who lived in Roswell in the day are going to "remember" all sorts of things about government agents silencing people, etc. The wreckage was not found anywhere near Roswell, but they had a handle for their bullshit peddling, and the so-called Roswell incident has been making good money for those who prey on the gullible ever since. Just because no one in 1947 could explain the origin of the wreckage doesn't mean it was a crash site of a "flying saucer." Hilarity ensued and a lot of people have been making good money ever since.

It's appalling how the "History" channel goes in for bullshit like this, but it is unsurprising. They've got a bottom line to tend, and it's more important to them to attract an audience than it is to spend money producing shows which reliably recount actual history.

EDIT: I forgot to point out that the silly rhetorical question is an important feature of this type of television programming.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:22 am
@farmerman,
Not that i know of, but we have dish teevee, so we may be behind the curve on that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 05:29 am
@farmerman,
I seen them run nonsense of a similar nature to H1 but off hand I can not remember the names of the shows.
0 Replies

bulwinklemoose1964

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:05 pm
i dont care what any of you think because wheres the proff of god while all your church suck money out of people by brain washing them this is my god and i dont care
0 Replies

Ezz1r

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:25 pm
The evidence is empirical in my universe it is overwhelming!

You would have to believe that throughout history different cultures which did not of each others existence conspired to make all of the archeological evidence coincide as the record shows.

You have to be Deaf Dumb and Blind......

E
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:02 pm
@Ezz1r,
Gort. Klaatu barada nikto.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:49 pm
Scientists and astronomers are scanning the skies for alien life, but what if they've already been and gone?
For example a couple of thousand years ago somebody in human form appeared on earth and said straight out "I'm not from this world. I know where I came from, but you have no idea where I came from", and then he went around bending the laws of physics which people called "miracles", and his fans numbered thousands of people..
BillRM

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 11:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
LOL like bringing a rotting body back to life???????????????????????

Some powerful alien and what would his/their motivations be for playing those kind of games with humans?

Too slow down our advancement into a rational specie perhaps?

Sorry religion myths are just that no aliens needed by Occam razor.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 11:18 pm
If an alien landed on earth he'd HAVE to do miracle stuff to PROVE he was an alien, just like Jesus did..Smile