Is it possible for a person to have no beliefs at all?

north

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:16 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

I'm sooooo not a religious nut.

But, I believe I've seen a Ghost, heck, actually I know I have,

Now where do I go Smile

not surprised really it seems many have

so from belief , to knowing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:21 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Go here and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8V8rtdXnLA&feature=player_embedded#!
thack45

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
If anyone thinks it not to be worthwhile or interesting, I will personally appeal to the authorities here at A2K to rescind the rule that everyone has to participate in every discussion and cannot leave until everyone has said all that he or she has to say. Rolling Eyes (Don't want to alienate you, Lustig, but I do want to continue this discussion.)

I can't find that rule in the site's TOS ... your appeal wouldn't be logical

Can you demonstrate how the content of your discussion is any more valid than one's opinion of the content of your discussion?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:51 pm
@Cyracuz,
Michael Jackson would roll over in his grave if he thought he would have looked like that.

I get science, but science can't explain ghosts, well some situations they can for sure, as in "feelings" but "seeing" I'm going with North, no offence Smile
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:54 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
None taken.
That video demonstrates how much more likely it is that we are wrong about what we think than right. Something worth remembering, in my opinion, along with the realization that being wrong does not equal failure.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:55 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
I can't find that rule in the site's TOS ... your appeal wouldn't be logical

Oh, bummer.

Quote:
Can you demonstrate how the content of your discussion is any more valid than one's opinion of the content of your discussion?

Why would I do that? Have I suggested such a thing?
thack45

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
you appear to have suggested that your opinion of this discussion is of greater worth than anyone else's opinion of it--to the point of implying that certain opposing opinions are not valid.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
Even the idea of "failure" differs from person to person.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It does. But I have the impression that being wrong is very often associated with failure, which is perhaps why so many are afraid of being wrong.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:21 pm
@Cyracuz,
I agree. Some people accept it as a learning experience, while others might see it as just wrong in every case - with all the possibilities in between.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
True.
I remember when I was in school. There were a few rare kids who would jump in with both feet, never feeling stupid when they were wrong, creating a playful atmosphere where more people dared to go out on a limb. I think those kids understood something instinctively that I have only come to realize in my adult life.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:42 pm
@Philippos,
First off, why wouldn't the question be instead: "Is it possible for a person to 'have' beliefs?"

What's the point in pre-supposing the existence of 'beliefs' and subsequent 'having'?

You see all you've done here by pre-supposing is 'force' people to play a little game with you. They can either 'branch-off' your pre-supposition or they can go in a another direction to your frustration which results in an argument.

I'd say that you do not even really know what you mean by 'beliefs' in the first place.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:43 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yesterday, I did a business plan, or should I say, marketing plan.. Because, I had been "wrong" in the way in which I was travelling....Smile

I agree, being wrong does not equal failure.. Ensuring you learn and keep trying equals success.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:49 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Try dropping the ideas of 'success' and 'failure'. See what's left.

Go where most are unwilling to.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:58 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Well to me, what's left is one word. Belief....
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:02 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Do you ever think about that word? Or is it irrelevant because you know that everyone already knows what you 'mean' by it?

I know if you took time to 'think' about it, you'll come to realize that you don't even know what 'belief' is. It is just a 'word' which has become more of an abstraction than anything else.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:32 pm
@JPLosman0711,
See, here's the thing... I came to realise that the Universe is a big place.. That words were put into place, to give some form of understanding in the World of "communication".. As far as the Universe goes, what you put out there (if you believe) will come true because you (believe)... It's not a word to me and so you are wrong..But, that's ok, that's your opinion of how I would think.... It's relevant because i decided that the meaning chosen exists.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:57 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
'Words' were derived from there already-being 'understanding', not the other way around.

So if you were to write a dictionary, and it included the word 'belief', it would look something like this:

be·lief
noun
1. So long as you believe, what you put out there will come true.

You also go on to conclude that because of this definition 'it' is thereby not a word. Oh, and it's not 'my opinion of how you would think', I'm just tapping my keyboard here.

No one ever said anything about relevance, you brought that into the conversation and even went so far as to justify it to your own 'standard'. This is the part of the show were you give up the 'act' and admit you're clueless about what you're saying. 'Believe'(Ha ha) it or not, it is very valuable to come to grips with the fact that you don't know what you're talking about. Until you do, you'll just be running in circles defending no one's 'idea' of 'meaning'.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 10:32 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Quote:
It is just a 'word'

Quote:
You also go on to conclude that because of this definition 'it' is thereby not a word.
That's right.. It's more than a "word" to me.

Quote:
No one ever said anything about relevance, you brought that into the conversation and even went so far as to justify it to your own 'standard'. This is the part of the show were you give up the 'act' and admit you're clueless about what you're saying. 'Believe'(Ha ha) it or not, it is very valuable to come to grips with the fact that you don't know what you're talking about. Until you do, you'll just be running in circles defending no one's 'idea' of 'meaning'.

It seems to me, that all you do is go from thread to thread, pulling peoples words apart, trying to tell them that you know more than they do about the "said" subject, then follow through with some childish (Ha ha), and then finally conclude each person you talk to that they are clueless..

Sad really.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh? Where did you get YOUR vasectomy?