22
   

What is the Republican vision for this country?

 
 
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 04:54 pm
I think I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed by all of the bad legislation that's been introduced in several states by Republicans -- most of which coming from various lobbying groups through ALEC. When I put it all together I see a place where women can't decide whether or not to have children, where we would rather shoot each other than invest in a police force (presumably this would balance the population explosion resulting from the former), where we would rather incarcerate people than educate them, and where money buys freedom, but most of us won't have any. Next to this, I can't even seriously get on board with any of the more reasonable parts to the Republican platform, namely balanced budgets and reduced debt.

I'm not thrilled with the Democrats or even Obama (that jobs bill that is actually more deregulation) but it's nothing compared to the backward walk it feels like the Republicans are taking us on. So if someone would like to speak for Republican constituents, not politicians, and tell me what the vision for this country is that the Republicans will bring us, I'd love to hear it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 22 • Views: 6,710 • Replies: 140

 
View best answer, chosen by FreeDuck
BumbleBeeBoogie
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 05:22 pm
@FreeDuck,
You really want to know? Here's the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Crash_of_1929

BBB
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 05:26 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
But wouldn't that mostly hurt them at this point? Since they seem to be more or less the party of big corporations and Wall Street. Not that the Dems are very far from them in that respect.
BumbleBeeBoogie
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 05:32 pm
@FreeDuck,
It did hurt the rich, but they caused it with their own actions. It hurt the poor worse. The rich just jumped out their windows. The poor starved. I was born in 1929 and remember much of it as I got older to WW2.

BBB

0 Replies
 
Thomas
 
  2  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 05:33 pm
@FreeDuck,
Having just started Rick Santorum's book It Takes a Family, my impression is that there isn't a positive vision so much as there is a panic. He thinks abortion is worse than the Holocaust, that gay marriage will catastrophically undermine the fabric of American society, and that the welfare state will create a permanently dependant underclass. His 'vision', if you want to call it that, is to prevent these 'catastrophies', if you want to call them that.

Observe that I am not violating the terms of your question. Santorum is a Republican constituent as of today. Wink
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 05:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thank you Thomas. I didn't really mean to make rules. I'm trying to guard against rolling a bunch of little things up together in my mind to create one big idea that might not really be true. It's still my hope that most people who vote Republican are not really on board with this nonsense and that my worst fears are not valid.

I kind of agree with you that there's no real vision, just an anti-vision, if you will. But at some point if they get everything they want this country will look like something drastically different than I think even they intend. So if there's no vision, I just wonder what they're working so hard for.
Thomas
  Selected Answer
 
  5  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 06:48 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
It's still my hope that most people who vote Republican are not really on board with this nonsense and that my worst fears are not valid.

I'm sorry to tell you that your worst fears may well be valid even though the people who vote Republican aren't on board with the nonsense. Notice how George Bush (2000) campaigned as a "compassionate conservative", then proceeded to cut taxes, mostly on the super-rich, and started a war on a ficticious rationale. Notice how George Bush (2004) campaigned on a platform of warding off gay-married terrorists, then took his reelection as a mandate to privatize Social Security. Notice how the 2010 class of Republican Congresspeople campaigned against Medicare cuts, then took their election as a mandate to voucherize Medicare---with inadequately-endowed vouchers.

Confusing their own voters is a major survival routine for the people who run the Republican Party. And although I'm not crazy about the Democrats either, I see nothing close to this smoke-and-mirror marketing.
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 07:09 pm
@Thomas,
I agree. At worst Democrats are hypocrites and sell outs. Nothing would make me vote for any Republican right now.
RABEL222
 
  1  
Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 09:23 pm
@FreeDuck,
Why do you people differenciate between democrat and republican. They are all bought politicians. No real difference in honesty, but I agree with you the crooked democrates are a better choice.
Marie Colvin
 
  0  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 06:11 am
@FreeDuck,
President Obama painted a stark contrast between his visions on health care, taxes, and the federal budget and that of congressional Republicans in a speech to the nation’s newspaper executives on Tuesday.

Best regards
Marie Colvin
FreeDuck
 
  2  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 09:06 am
@Marie Colvin,
Right, and when he speaks he hits the nail on the head. Problem is, I haven't seen his words convert to progress yet.
0 Replies
 
slkshock7
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:19 am
@FreeDuck,
Freeduck wrote:
When I put it all together I see a place where women can't decide whether or not to have children, where we would rather shoot each other than invest in a police force (presumably this would balance the population explosion resulting from the former), where we would rather incarcerate people than educate them, and where money buys freedom, but most of us won't have any.


Freeduck,

Come on...you don't really believe that do you? The bottom line is that both Dems and Repubs are trying, in good faith, to do what they feel is best for the nation, for society and for the individual. It's patently unfair to characterize their position as anything different...

But since you asked what the rank and file Republican believes, I'll try to do so. Up front, I have to state that I speak for myself only. I've contrasted the beliefs I espouse below and measured them against both Dem and Repub platforms and generally find that I think the Repub position fits my beliefs best.

I believe that there are definitive rights and wrongs that are expounded in time-tested legal and religious precedent. These rights and wrongs do not change based on geography, society or circumstances. I believe government should be in the business of ensuring opportunity for all, not hand-outs to a select few. I believe that success and wealth should be exclusively based on the merit of a person's ideas, his character and the hard work of his hands. Government is necessary but should constrain itself to the powers enumerated in the Constitution, no more. The free market is far better at fixing a fair price than a government bureaucrat. While recognizing human failure, I believe that sex is not a recreational activity, but an act of love for an individual of the opposite sex and therefore should be exclusively practiced in marriage. Convicted criminals should pay the due price for their crimes but be offered opportunities, while incarcerated and after, to redeem themselves to society.

djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:26 am
What is the Republican vision for this country?
30/30

http://www.theammosource.com/images/3030150grPPWinchester.jpg
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  2  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:55 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:
While recognizing human failure, I believe that sex is not a recreational activity, but an act of love for an individual of the opposite sex and therefore should be exclusively practiced in marriage.
Are you proposing that laws should be enacted to compel such behavior, or that a simple tsk tsk should suffice?
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  2  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:17 pm
@slkshock7,
Quote:
While recognizing human failure, I believe that sex is not a recreational activity, but an act of love for an individual of the opposite sex and therefore should be exclusively practiced in marriage.


Does this mean that you think pre-marital and extra-marital sex should be illegal? Does this mean that you think homosexual sex should be illegal?
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:38 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Come on...you don't really believe that do you? The bottom line is that both Dems and Repubs are trying, in good faith, to do what they feel is best for the nation, for society and for the individual. It's patently unfair to characterize their position as anything different...

Oh I believe they think they are doing what is best, which is why I'm asking what their vision is. What are they aiming for? What America are they trying to create that would be better than the one we have now?

Quote:
I believe that there are definitive rights and wrongs that are expounded in time-tested legal and religious precedent. These rights and wrongs do not change based on geography, society or circumstances. I believe government should be in the business of ensuring opportunity for all, not hand-outs to a select few. I believe that success and wealth should be exclusively based on the merit of a person's ideas, his character and the hard work of his hands. Government is necessary but should constrain itself to the powers enumerated in the Constitution, no more. The free market is far better at fixing a fair price than a government bureaucrat. While recognizing human failure, I believe that sex is not a recreational activity, but an act of love for an individual of the opposite sex and therefore should be exclusively practiced in marriage. Convicted criminals should pay the due price for their crimes but be offered opportunities, while incarcerated and after, to redeem themselves to society.


So do you want to see an America where everyone's values align with your own? Would you like to see laws prohibiting sex out of wedlock? What would be your end game?
slkshock7
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:04 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
So do you want to see an America where everyone's values align with your own?


Yes...wouldn't you prefer an America where everyone's values align with yours?

Quote:
Would you like to see laws prohibiting sex out of wedlock? What would be your end game?


I would want to see the marriage between a man and a woman upheld broadly as the penultimate relationship for everyone to attain, assuming a relationship with another individual was desired. Sexual relationships outside marriage and homosexual relationships would not be illegal but be discouraged on the basis that they detract from and lessen the integrity of the marriage relationship. Just as lying and cheating are discouraged because they detract from and lessen the integrity of one's character.
RABEL222
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:06 pm
@FreeDuck,
His endgame is the same as most religious conservatives, do as I say, not as I do.
FreeDuck
 
  4  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:17 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Yes...wouldn't you prefer an America where everyone's values align with yours?


Not necessarily. If we all share some basic values or can at least respect them and agree to be guided by them, that would be nice. But it's not imperative to me that others agree with my views on sex or anything else that doesn't affect me directly or doesn't affect me in a way that I care about.

Quote:

I would want to see the marriage between a man and a woman upheld broadly as the penultimate relationship for everyone to attain, assuming a relationship with another individual was desired. Sexual relationships outside marriage and homosexual relationships would not be illegal but be discouraged on the basis that they detract from and lessen the integrity of the marriage relationship. Just as lying and cheating are discouraged because they detract from and lessen the integrity of one's character.


Hmmm, but I wouldn't say lying and cheating are discouraged because they lessen a person's character. I think it's discouraged because it's bad for society. When you can't reasonably expect others to follow the rules and tell the truth then you have no reason to do so yourself. The result is lack of cooperation and reduced societal structure leading to diminished or backward progress.

Having said that. In what way should sex outside marriage and homosexual relationships be discouraged by government? What would be the desired result of placing so much emphasis on marriage, and how would declining to discourage other relationships detract from the integrity of marriage?
slkshock7
 
  1  
Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:27 pm
@RABEL222,
Rabel,
With all due respect, you don't know anything about what I do...and very little about what I say.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » What is the Republican vision for this country?
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/03/2020 at 02:53:59