Acid redux

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:25 pm
The other night, I had a bad episode of acid redux when I was trying my best to sleep. I drank a lot of water, but that didn't help. Stayed up half the night which felt like my chest was burning.

Anybody out there have the same problem? How do you take care of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,650 • Replies: 40
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:36 am
Pepcid helps a lot, but takes about 45 minutes to be effective. The OTC version is 1/2 the strength of the prescription. Do the math and take two. Non steroidal anti inflamatories (ibuprufin) aggravate the condition, as do coffee and spicy foods.

I learned about the condition while taking a combination pain killer/muscle relaxant. Muscle relaxants can bring on acid reflux in the heartiest digestive system.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 01:54 am
Drinking milk would probably be more help than drinking water. There are some very effective prescription drugs available - I use one with the brandname Zantac and one tablet a day has ended what was a chronic problem.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 02:08 am
Or you can use regular baking soda, about one spoonful in a short glass of water.

It'll make you belch, but Oh, what a relief it is!

I'll also use the milk method, a lot tastier.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:04 pm
Does nonfat milk and/or soy milk work? I'm gonna try that baking soda next time. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. While searching the web on acid redux, I read an article that says chewing gum will reduce acid redux, so I went out and bought a 10 pack sugarless gum. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:09 pm
Just don't confuse baking powder and baking soda. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:09 pm
Thanks roger. That's so easy to confuse! Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:12 pm
acid REFLUX- Do not lie down for at least an hour after you have eaten. You need gravity to move the food thru the digestive system.

Also- Put 4 inch blocks at the head of your bed, so that the bed tilts at a slightly downward angle. That'll help to move things along.

Prilosec OTC is the same stuff as the 20mg. Prilosec that used to be by prescription only. I used to buy it for my mother at over 3 bucks a pop. I now get it in Sam's in a carton of 42 for about fifty cents apiece. Unlike some of the other medications, Prilosec works in the upper part of the digestive system, which is what you need for reflux.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:13 pm
Quote:
Muscle relaxants can bring on acid reflux in the heartiest digestive system.

Thanks, Rog. I never knew that!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 12:33 pm
roger, I just asked my wife if we had baking powder, and she said she threw it out because we don't use it. She asked why I was asking about it, so I told her. This is what she said. She had a patient at her clinic one day that ate too much strawberries, and had an upset stomach, so she took baking powder to relieve the bloated feeling she had. What happened was, her stomach exploded! So her warning was, don't take baking powder without understanding why you're using it and how much.

Phoenix, I bought the 14 tab Prilosex the following day, but didn't start using it because the package says it sometimes takes up to four days to take effect. I want something that will give immediate relief, so I'm more prone to the other solutions before I start taking pills for it. I also read that elevating your head when sleeping will help with acid reflux, but I like to start my sleep in the fetal position. I like the idea of not lieing down for an hour after eating. I think I ate a banana that night before going to sleep when I had that episode.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 06:36 pm
What you want to take is baking SODA, not baking POWDER.

As the baking SODA interacts with the acid in your stomach, they break down and form other substances, one of them is carbon dioxide.

You'll feel the CO2 form in your stomach immediately after taking the baking SODA. Don't stifle your belches. Let the gas come right out. The lady who exploded probably stifled her burps.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
The lady who had her stomach "explode" took baking powder, no?

I think baking soda and baking powder are both bread leaveners, but that they react differently - not sure though.

I think that baking soda is a base (-) that reacts (combines) with acid (+) to form a neutral salt, thus neutralizing the acid. Baking powder may be the one that forms CO2....

but I'm not sure of all this. Let's all wait for a chemist to show up...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:20 pm
I'm gonna stay away from baking powder and baking soda. It's too easy to confuse, and with my failing brain....... Wink
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
Re: Acid redux
cicerone imposter wrote:
The other night, I had a bad episode of acid redux when I was trying my best to sleep. I drank a lot of water, but that didn't help. Stayed up half the night which felt like my chest was burning.
Anybody out there have the same problem? How do you take care of it?

I would sleep with my head elevated on the pillows and probably drink some alka-seltzer.

Since you said your chest was burning, I would question if you were having a mild heart attack.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:38 pm
Eve wrote:
Drinking milk would probably be more help than drinking water. There are some very effective prescription drugs available - I use one with the brandname Zantac and one tablet a day has ended what was a chronic problem.

Milk is a good idea, since milk tends to coat the lining of the stomach and protect it from the acid. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:26 pm
I saw Prilosec stacked up at my local Safeway on a display right in front of the bourbon on the alcohol aisle. Not to point fingers, as I have gotten a/r after too much alcohol, yet another reason I moderate there. Dunno, I think I tend to get it anyway, perhaps sloppy acting valves in general (I snore, fetchingly of course, which involves throat valve/ soft palate, I forget the names now. There's another valve between the stomach and esophagus, I think it's the pyloric...).

Gee, I would think I would have given those valves enough exercise over the years..
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm gonna stay away from baking powder and baking soda. It's too easy to confuse, and with my failing brain....... Wink

For baking soda, (the stuff you DO want) just think Arm & Hammer! That way ya can't go wrong. Smile
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:45 pm
Our doctor suggested I try Nexium 40 mg a few years ago, and it completely solved the problem. I'm told the Prilosec available over the counter is essentially the same thing, but at half the strength (20 mg).
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 12:18 am
Try a bite of cheese, mildly tasted, before going to bed. It is good for my mom, at least.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:54 am
satt_focusable wrote:
Try a bite of cheese, mildly tasted, before going to bed. It is good for my mom, at least.

Could be working like the milk. Coats the walls of the gut to prevent acid burn. Smile
0 Replies