Acid redux

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 06:41 pm
Arm & Hammer, Arm & Hammer, Arm & Hammer, Arm & Hammer, Arm & Hammer, Arm & Hammer. I think I got it! (Not)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:14 pm
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda puts directions for acid relief on the side of their boxes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:00 pm
truth
Yes, Osso. I think it's the pyloric valve that gets flaccid with age, causing stomach acid to back up into the esophagus: acid reflux. That might be why muscle relaxants cause problems; they relax the pyloric valve causing to let acid to reflux. The real problem is the possibility that over time the cells of the esophageal lining mutate, in adapting to the acid, resulting in Barret's Syndrome (sp?), a condition that may be pre-cancerous.
I've had "chronic hyperacidity" (as it used to be called) since the age of twenty, but I have no damage to my esophagus because I do not back up into the esophagus. It just burns in the upper stomach. After almost forty years of popping rolaids and tums I discovered Zantac. That and keeping my weight down have really helped. I'm virtually symptom free now. But once in a while when I have no Zantac and experience a flare up, I use alka-seltzer or baking soda. In most cases they do the trick temporarily. Oh! and I sleep with two pillows.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:07 pm
Good info, jl.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:31 pm
I don't eat more than an hour before going to bed, and have always used two pillows. I've been acid free since my first post in February.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:51 pm
Re: Acid redux
cicerone imposter wrote:
The other night, I had a bad episode of acid redux when I was trying my best to sleep. I drank a lot of water, but that didn't help. Stayed up half the night which felt like my chest was burning.

Anybody out there have the same problem? How do you take care of it?
Hi C.I. Have you had this problem for very long? I read in your last post that you had not had any further problems lately.

Has your doctor diagnosed this problem at all? It might require some testing. I'm a sufferer of excess stomach acid and have had acid reflux problems in the past. With me, it was like having an airlock in my upper chest.

I have had many, many "stomach scopes". I was diagnosed after having a major bleed from my stomach. The acid ate through the lining in many places. What has worked for me was a drug called "Losec". It's the "cadillac" of these type of medications that control acid. I have to be on it for life.

I hope you continue to be symptom-free, but if it happens again, it's best to see your doctor and have it checked out. There could be other under-lying causes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:54 pm
I heard you need to get control of that - I guess the reflux can cause problems with the skin tissue and creates the possibilities of cancerous growth -
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:02 pm
Good advice,Reyn. I've heard that as people age their stomach lining becomes thinner and, perhaps in compensation, they produce less stomach acid. The latter may in part explain my improvement. I have had a small ulcer, but I can and do eat loads of hot chili peppers and spices (including garlic and onions) of all kinds, without problem.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:42 pm
Hi Reyn, No more problems with acid redux. It was that one episode, so I haven't worried about it since then. Thanks for your advise on seeing my doctor. Will keep it in mind if it happens again.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:04 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Good advice,Reyn. I've heard that as people age their stomach lining becomes thinner and, perhaps in compensation, they produce less stomach acid. The latter may in part explain my improvement. I have had a small ulcer, but I can and do eat loads of hot chili peppers and spices (including garlic and onions) of all kinds, without problem.

Hmmm, I didn't know about the lining becoming thinner as you get older. Thanks for that!

I envy you being able to eat spicy foods. I should mention that not only do I suffer from excess stomach acid, but also the fact that my intestinal tract is not 100%. I have another medication to take to keeps things moving along within the tract. If not, things get backed up and I suffer from major gas problems. This can be very serious for me and can lead to a trip to the hospital emergency ward.

So, I'm to stay away from many things, like alcohol, coffee, tea, spicy foods (I can use ordinary pepper though), chocolate, etc. Also, eating too much can do me in. Every once in a while I cheat just a wee little bit and get away with it.... Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:11 pm
I also enjoy spicy food once inwhile, and indulge in alcoholic drinks. Try not to overdo the drinks at my age, but really overdid it in Hong Kong in February for Chinese New Years. Went out with the young folks, and got stink'n drunk. Haven't done that in over forty years! Recovered the followng day - pretty good! Will be in London for the a2k gathering on May 1. Will need to watch myself. LOL Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:53 pm
Don't mess with anything less than Prilosec. One pill will knock even severe reflux out for a whole 24 hours. Sometimes, just taking it for a month or two gives the body time to heal and after that the person only has to take it occasionally. In some cases the person has to take Prilosec every day for the rest of his life, which is safe. Since Prilosec may take a few minutes to kick in, you may wish to take it with a Tums to get both instant and long lasting relief. I am confident that this will solve your problem.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:32 pm
Brandon, Thanks for your suggestion, but I do not take drugs without my doctors approval. Many can minimize the prescribed drugs effect, and mixing drugs we are not sure about is not advisable.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Brandon, Thanks for your suggestion, but I do not take drugs without my doctors approval. Many can minimize the prescribed drugs effect, and mixing drugs we are not sure about is not advisable.

Then I urge you to ask your doctor, because this is an over the counter drug which will almost certainly eliminate this problem from your life. Why suffer the very unpleasant sensation of acid reflux when there is a cure? Good luck.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:02 pm
Brandon, Grapefruit juice doesn't have any restriction for purchase, but it can decrease the effectiveness of some prescription drugs. Some drugs warn not to use tums. Fortunately for me, the unpleasant experience I had when I first initiated this thread has not returned. If redux occurs on a regular basis, I will certainly consult with my doctor. Thanks.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Brandon, Grapefruit juice doesn't have any restriction for purchase, but it can decrease the effectiveness of some prescription drugs. Some drugs warn not to use tums. Fortunately for me, the unpleasant experience I had when I first initiated this thread has not returned. If redux occurs on a regular basis, I will certainly consult with my doctor. Thanks.

yw
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:06 pm
Brandon, FYI: "

Grapefruit and Prescription Drugs: Mix Carefully
The fruit and its juice can trigger potentially dangerous consequences, experts say

By Mark Bloom
HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, March 29 (HealthDay News) -- One day in 1989, a Canadian medical scientist, a former world-class runner, was noodling around in his laboratory when he made a stunning accidental discovery, one that is still reverberating today in the world of pharmacology. His totally unexpected finding: grapefruit juice interfered with the action of an important blood pressure drug.

Dr. David Bailey, the first Canadian to run a four-minute mile, was working with a research group at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, to see whether people needed to stop drinking alcohol while they were taking a drug called felodipine (Plandil), one of a class called calcium channel blockers that help lower blood pressure.

Bailey, a nondrinker, was his own guinea pig, but he hated the taste of alcohol. Orange juice wasn't enough to block the taste. So he tried double-strength grapefruit juice, and that did he trick.

Lo and behold, Bailey discovered that when he took felodipine with grapefruit juice his blood-concentration of the drug was four times as high as it should have been. In other words, a standard dose combined with grapefruit juice was four times as potent as it was without grapefruit juice. Very perplexing."
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:13 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
...Why suffer the very unpleasant sensation of acid reflux when there is a cure? Good luck.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was a sufferer of acid reflux, and excess acid in the stomach, etc. I take Losec once per day. I would not call it a "cure", but something that controls the problem from coming back. I'm on it for life.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:24 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Brandon, FYI: "

Grapefruit and Prescription Drugs: Mix Carefully
The fruit and its juice can trigger potentially dangerous consequences, experts say

By Mark Bloom
HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, March 29 (HealthDay News) -- One day in 1989, a Canadian medical scientist, a former world-class runner, was noodling around in his laboratory when he made a stunning accidental discovery, one that is still reverberating today in the world of pharmacology. His totally unexpected finding: grapefruit juice interfered with the action of an important blood pressure drug.

Dr. David Bailey, the first Canadian to run a four-minute mile, was working with a research group at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, to see whether people needed to stop drinking alcohol while they were taking a drug called felodipine (Plandil), one of a class called calcium channel blockers that help lower blood pressure.

Bailey, a nondrinker, was his own guinea pig, but he hated the taste of alcohol. Orange juice wasn't enough to block the taste. So he tried double-strength grapefruit juice, and that did he trick.

Lo and behold, Bailey discovered that when he took felodipine with grapefruit juice his blood-concentration of the drug was four times as high as it should have been. In other words, a standard dose combined with grapefruit juice was four times as potent as it was without grapefruit juice. Very perplexing."

I wonder what it was in the grapefruit juice that caused this effect?

Oh, I forgot something. I suppose the answer to your original question would be incomplete without mentioning that sufficient weight loss can often make reflux go away.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:30 pm
First time I'm hearing that weight loss can effect reflux, but I'm not surprised.
0 Replies