Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:16 pm
A couple of weeks ago, my incision started gushing blood again and Johnny rushed me to the ER. They stopped the bleeding but I kept vomiting and had diarrhea along with the blood loss. I became very dehydrated. They sent me home anyway. No insurance is my guess why. Anyway, I ended up with a staph infection. With antibiotics, the infection is under control and my incision is healing very well.

My problem is I am still so weak. I am drinking lots of liquids and eating lots of soup and some solid food and taking vitamins. Is there anything I can take or eat to help me get my strength back?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:23 pm
@Arella Mae,
Yikes, Arella. Is this from your wrist surgery?

One thing I'd say is to rest but also to move around. Lying in bed for days can be very debilitating in itself. So, a bit at a time, move, rest, repeat.

Also, getting proper amounts of minerals are as important as vitamins, but I suppose some of them are in vitamin tablets. I'm odd in that I buy, when money flush, some bottled mineral water like gerolsteiner or apollonaris, or less minerally, pellegrino. Those are all bubbly and a lot of people don't like them. I like to get my vitamins et al from food, but like those waters as back
up. A lot of markets don't have any of those, or maybe just pellegrino.
There are local sparkling waters, but they tend not to have much in the way of minerals. The famous Perrier also has relatively low mineral content.
On dietary minerals - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_mineral
Bananas are famous as quick potassium boosts.

Watch that staph...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:31 pm
Yes, from my surgery. I do rest a lot but I'm tryng to walk a lot too. I guess it will just take time. I am drinking lots of Powerade drinks. I'm impatient to get well I guess.
sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:33 pm
@Arella Mae,
Yes, I'd recommend getting some sort of rehydration drink from the grocery store -- not just fluids per se.

Pedialyte is one for kids but no reason you can't just have more of it. I'm sure there is a grown up version.

You need salts/ minerals/ electrolytes in addition to water.

Even Gatorade is better than water.

Sozlet's gone through the dehydration thing and I know it's really exhausting. Sorry you're going through this. (Meanwhile, incision gushing blood?! Eek. Did you do something that caused it or was it spontaneous?)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
I think of those as heavy on sugar - off to check. And yeah, pedialyte makes sense.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
Protein shakes will help too - make yourself one in the morning with a banana. Bananas have a lot of potassium which acts also as an electrolyte, but anything protein will give you more strength. Carbohydrates should also
help you regain some lost weight and strength.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:39 pm
@sozobe,
I had a hematoma in my hand. My blood pressure was out of control (under control now). The doctor said the blood had to go somewhere and it came out my incision. I was just sitting at my desk and felt a slight pop and then the blood running. The first time it happened it blew blood across the room and hurt like crazy. No chance of happening again. My incision is healing very well.

I have some Boost and will get pedialyte and bananas. Thanx!
sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:43 pm
@Arella Mae,
Yowza. Not fun.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:44 pm
@Arella Mae,
What kind of medications are you currently taking?
sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:46 pm
@MMarciano,
Yes, that's a good point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 06:52 pm
@Arella Mae,
What is in Powerade -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerade

What is in San Pellegrino -
http://www.mineralwaters.org/index.php?func=disp&parval=2236

oh, heck, I see they have Gerolsteiner at Walmart -
http://www.mineralwaters.org/index.php?func=disp&parval=1183
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:01 pm
@MMarciano,
Doxycyclene (antibiotic), Procardia, Lisinopril and Hyderchlorthiazide for blood pressure.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:09 pm
@Arella Mae,
Is hydrochlorothiazide a new prescription for you? Or have you been taking it for a while? Your symptoms are common with the drugs side effects. You need to talk to you doctor, it may not be the medication for you at this time.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:14 pm
If they haven't already, you might request they do a blood workup on you as a follow up, post complication. Check iron and potassium levels.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:15 pm
@MMarciano,
It is new for me.. I had no idea! I'll talk to the doctor tomorrow about it. Thanx so much!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:23 pm
@Arella Mae,
Lisinopril is also a blood pressure medication.

When BBB was having her blood clotting problems, she was getting more and more lethargic until I took a list of all her medications to the pharmacist at Walgreen's for review. She too was taking both the lisinopril and the HCZ (prescribed by the hospital doctors rather than her primary doc). The pharmacist suggested we bring it to her doctor's attention because he thought she might be getting over medicated with both of the meds. This resulted in her being taken off of the lisinopril while on the HCZ.

Her strength and endurance almost immediately improved.

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Wonderful! I will talk to the doctor in the morning. I feel better knowing there probably is a reason for this and it can change. Thanx so much!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 06:59 am
Hey, feel better soon. I realize you're probably on low-salt, but I'd ask about that, as salt = water retention.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 10:09 am
Okay, back from the doctor. He stopped the hydro stuff. It's a dieuretic and I don't swell and weigh 119. He said I shouldn't need it. He gave me a prescription for the Lisiniprol and one for a small dose of Clonodine. The Clonodine is "as needed" in case my pressure doesn't come down sometimes.

I don't do a lot of salt and am trying to get used to sea salt. I appreciate all of you so much. Butterfly, you nailed the problem and I am so grateful!

Oh! My incision is doing great. Worst part is my tendon is still showing but healing!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 10:51 am
@Arella Mae,
Good news! Glad the solution was an easy one. You should be feeling much better before the end of the week.