whats the diffrence between a GEEK and a NERD??

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 03:58 pm
discuss please
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 5,243 • Replies: 43

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
You know, Colbert said the difference between a geek and a nerd is that
geeks actually get things done.

Seriously, I think that a geek is a somewhat introverted, shy, awkward person whereas a nerd is called someone who puts all his efforts and intellectual thoughts into a project dear to his heart to a point of obsession.
For me "geek" is personality related and "nerd" is a technical term related to
his (obsessive) pet project.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:47 pm
@farmerman,
A Geek comes from the carnies. A geek eats disgusting things for money. I would consider the title of 'Geek' to be derogatory.

Rap
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:49 pm
@farmerman,
Well, there kinda isnt a difference, but there kinda is.

The difference is that a nerd is really smart but you dont have to be smart to be a geek. A geek is just really weird and socially awkward and they're obsessed with weird video games and comics and they know alot about computers and games.

A nerd is someones who's really smart or smarter than average academically. They dont always fit in in school and stuff because other kids wish they were as smart as us, LOL. Im kinda a nerd. I was really nerdy last year.

But yeah, there's kinda a difference but not really because they're used interchangeably. (whoa, big words! Laughing)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
Hmmm, so weve been exposed to the several different facets of geekness and nerdidity.
Could it be that one is obsessed with just one subject at a time (I think of Geeks as those guys who dress up in Star Trek niforms and go to Star Wars conventions as a wookie, whereas nerds are smart and interested in a lot of things .?

I remember the CArnie terminology rp bt that was then and this is now. Our entire language has been subverted by computer speak.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:13 pm
I have heard of pencil neck geeks, but not pencil neck nerds.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:27 pm
@farmerman,
I thought geeks could make computers sit up and play tricks, or were masters of other science and maths related stuff, while nerds were socially awkward.

Some nerds are also geeks, many geeks are also nerds.
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:29 pm
@dlowan,
No, I think geeks are more socially awkward than nerds are. Geeks are weird lol.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:30 pm
@raprap,
That's the way it was. I have never cared for the term, and don't use it.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:59 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

A Geek comes from the carnies. A geek eats disgusting things for money. I would consider the title of 'Geek' to be derogatory.

Rap
yes. The difference is brains... geeks eat gechos.. did I smell that right?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:14 pm
To be fair, I think the words are mostly interchangeable now.
Aren't we all a little bit geek to some extent? A geek has specific interests, like a trekie, stamp collecting, bird watchers or whatever obsession you may have. A nerd has a wealth of interests and revels in absorbing information from a myraid of sources. A geek may or may not be just an ordinary guy (or girl) where as a nerd is kind of an outlier, someone who doesn't really fit in. I don't think nerd's really give a damn though, provided they're not bullied for their eccentricities.
engineer

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:26 pm
I think Gracie has the jest of how it is used today. Nerds excel in math and science, wear pocket protectors, etc. Geeks are social misfits (think of the TV show Glee and its fans "Gleeks").
jcboy

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:59 pm
@farmerman,
Growing up I was kind of a nerd, not geeky though. I was never considered dorky which is another phrase for a geek.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:31 pm
A geek:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3Hf1YHFUiAqY8ykiN6WLas5rzZ8H_gzeWQW8ZPW3owOdy0oRm

A nerd:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/Martin_Prince.png/180px-Martin_Prince.png
Fido

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:06 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

To be fair, I think the words are mostly interchangeable now.
Aren't we all a little bit geek to some extent? A geek has specific interests, like a trekie, stamp collecting, bird watchers or whatever obsession you may have. A nerd has a wealth of interests and revels in absorbing information from a myraid of sources. A geek may or may not be just an ordinary guy (or girl) where as a nerd is kind of an outlier, someone who doesn't really fit in. I don't think nerd's really give a damn though, provided they're not bullied for their eccentricities.
Only because we interchange them are they interchangeable... And people should be flexible... Just never confuse a rube with a carney... There are only two kinds of people in this world... And that may be the biggest lie... I do not draw the line between Rubes and Carneys... I draw it between Psychic Killers and Psycho Killers... The psycho killers usually run for office and begin the process with a ritual contamination of the temple of truth...And, it is essential to their character to never say what they mean, nor mean what they say; so what is the point of a dictionary definition anyway???

If we can agree that truth in the exact is beyond our reach, then our best bet is to never tell it, because the harder we try to easier it is to disallow it on a technicality... Fiction is the only way to tell the truth since it makes no pretense of truth or exactness... Even our best concepts are only allegorie of reality... Of those subjects we know the best of yet more remains unknown... Why worry of truth even if truth should result in good...Just avoid the evil that comes with talk whose aim is neither good nor truth... People use numbers to speak exactly, and use words to paint a scene with soft pastels... Meaning is built up and is not of a single line...
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:19 am
@Fido,
Interesting point of view. However I have no idea what you are talking about so I will confer the "BUNNY WITH A PANCAKE ON HIS HEAD" award to your post. You should be very proud
Fido

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 07:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Interesting point of view. However I have no idea what you are talking about so I will confer the "BUNNY WITH A PANCAKE ON HIS HEAD" award to your post. You should be very proud
Sorry; my human already has a pet and a hat...

Hey; did you see that guy advertizing volt electric cars... That guy is a Geeknerd if I ever saw one... He could play a slimey stool pigeon on any imaginable cop show; but if he had a million dollars he could not buy a one night stand.... Do people like that actually breed??? Do they pay blind, deaf and dumb women to bear their seed???Sure; he can afford a volt... He has nothing else to spend his money on but trying to look cool, and the best he can manage is roadkill in the sun warm...Who is going to buy a car on his recommendation??? I'd buy anything he ain't driving, and if I couldn't afford it, I would take the bus...
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 08:38 pm
@engineer,
You watch Glee?!! I LOVE that show. Most of my friends aren't into it though. Mr. Green

Anyway, farmerman, why'd you wanna know the diff between a nerd and a geek?
Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
Best answer . . .
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 03:38 pm
@Setanta,
your vote dont count dog breath