Animals being caged

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 01:48 am
I was wondering. And I appreciate that some pets in Aussie land are not pets in other Countries and that the majority of people have cats or dogs or both as pets.

But, do you believe that any animal can be trained? Should not be caged? And, if so, have you had such a pet?

I was just thinking out loud.. I have as I stated in another thread of mine, a lop rabbit, well I had two but with the move, I left one with the tenants who is behind a picket fence and has freedom and chose to take his brother as he I thought, I could train, he has character and he now lives in a courtyard at the side of our home with full run of the gardens, lawns.

Jet, is black a big boy, and no I won't let anyone eat him:) But, he "now" since the move, uses a kitty litter tray, keeps his house tidy therefore, a little hutch with a balcony that he sits on Smile And, when he starts digging, I start saying no, and he stops. Until he wants to be cheeky. He also goes around in circles chasing a broom each way, no road sense, and comes into the family room and uses the cats kitty litter tray. He also gives what for to the cat, when he chases him by chasing him back, all in fun.

I once had a rabbit that did the same, and so, slept on my bed and jumped the fense to sit with the cats...

Have you ever trained what is supposed to be locked up, which I hate, to be civil ?

Oh and I taught my cat to sit if it wants food instead of jumping on me.

Just curious as I think some people don't believe that a some what caged animal can adapt and behave and listen to humans.

Look forward to thoughts even the sarcastic ones Smile

roger

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:00 am
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Look forward to thoughts even the sarcastic ones Smile

Good, cuz the only way I could get a cat to sit on command was to wait till it sat down and say, in my most authoritative voice "SIT".
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 03:00 am
@roger,
Smile I wrote that for you, I knew you'd come and get me Smile

I must say my Fiance cracked up laughing I did it four times and still do it and it works so there Smile
Dutchy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 06:50 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Animals can be taught all sorts of tricks. My father always trained our cats to do tricks, eg. jumping through a wheel from chair to chair, doing somersaults and they would always sit with us on a corner of the dining room table. Would never beg but waited patiently for a tit bit he would give them. He also had Ravens who he taught to say words and who went everywhere with him sitting on his shoulder, would never fly away.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:36 pm
@Dutchy,
Wow!!

Morning Dutchy Smile

That's amazing... Do you think it's an ownership thing? With the birds? Given that they love freedom and flying.. I get the cats, same with Bigsy, he gets food if he sits.

Last night I bought Jet in and put him on a chair in the sun-room. The kitty litter tray is in the room. He likes to dig the gravel behind the door outside and I keep saying NO and covering it up so he went to the kitty litter tray and pushed half of it out with his back legs... I let him... I saw it as rebelion lols, or him trying to tell me, I like to dig, I need somewhere to dig..
Dutchy

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 06:20 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Yes ofcourse ownership has a lot to do with it, animals like to feel part of the owner and do lots of things automatically to please us. Our first Samoyed Snowy grew up with our son and alwsays protected him. When my wife put him on the front verandah in his pram Snowy automatically laid alongside the pram and would bark at anybody going near him. At night he always laid in front of his bedroom, uncanny, we never taught him, like he felt our son needed protection.
Amazingly when I gave Snowy a bone to chew on he took possession of it and I could not retrieve it from him, he would bark, snarl, growl and even snap at me when I tried to grab it. Yet my 2 little children could just walk up to him and grab it out of his mouth, no complaints from him, he even licked their faces. Explain that.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:06 pm
@Dutchy,
You're a threat and they are not, they are small and probably crouch down to get it, you would have just bent over and being so tall, you are a threat:)

Well, I know that works with toy dogs, they can't handle people going over them except their owner, you have to get down to their level. Smile

But, I think animals are amazing creatures and can work well with humans no matter what species they are.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:34 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Sad Sad Little shirt dug a hole and went a-wall.... Hope he wasn't kidnapped and finds his way back home.............................................
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:08 am
I am sure we can train animals to do a lot of things.
Not all people have the ability to train an animal - others are so good at it they can even thame a lion.
Not all animals can be trained really well, some have the ability to understand the fun others don´t.
Most dogs like to play when you throw a ball or stick - get it and bring it.
I have met dogs that don´t understand the game and can´t learn it.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:19 am
@saab,
I just don't believe in caging an animal, you know? Here you sit in this little home, that's yours. When we moved to our new home, Jet had the run of the yard. He "tried" to dig holes and I said "no" he kept doing them Smile But in different places. And, then he stopped. Well so I thought, only he was smart it was hidden ..

He would be caged at night, two storey home... But, he would let me as well and I'd put a solar light lols there so he wasn't in the dark... And, in the morning he'd kick up a stink to let him out.. But, he would eat the fruit before venturing out... and off course, welcome a cuddle.

He had a kitty litter tray, he used it... And, then he would sparingly use it, as he had a barrel that he would hop over to and do it there followed by wanting to be picked up, when I got the timing right.

He also would play with me, run around that broom stick, or pick up a hand towel roll and throw it at me..

I'm pretty peeved that he dug that hole, cause it's cold out there tonight.

Anyways... you know how it is, pets are pets.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:54 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Sometimes cagig an animal is a necessary way to acclimate them to the new enviroment. If we buy new chickens or cattle, we always keep them in pens for several weeks until we let em out to either free range (chickes) or pasture (cattle). It makes the routines of feeding and care become part of their routines.
When I go out to the barn, I have oly to call and the cattle and chickens come to me. We have a herd of sheep tht my wife can control (Sheep are like ants, they think communaly not individually).

We have two dogs and these guys are always testing my ropes. Pack aimals will always be pack animals and the only reason they let you even pet em is becase they have submitted to you as the pack leader. Having a cat do tricks is kid of beside the point. Cats are normally inquisitive so they do their own tricks. Owning a cat is quite a different mind set than a dog.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 04:03 am
@farmerman,
So he saw me as his boss, leader but still was just like me:) Rebellious and nicked off...

IDK.. You give them a dream and they want more ...

Sorry guys, just feeling blue, kind of love animals.. And to top it off my cat got two baby birds, I got them both but ya know, 5 metres is a long way to fall for one, one made it.

Then the wabbit went awall.

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:32 am
@FOUND SOUL,
assume that all animals "live in the moment". Youre assigning too much anthropomorphic stuff onto your pets. I dont think they can handle it. For my dogs I operate under the saying that a "Happy dog is a busy dog" SO all I do is arrange their activities like herding sheep and doing barn patrol with me and often accompanying me into the field as I do my job. They seem fulfilled but , hey, being a dog doesnt leave you with a lot of career options.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:52 am
Dogs used to be - and sometimes still are - the working companion of a human being. It does not just have to be on a farm - it can also be as a policedog, seeing eye dog, sitting up front in a truck thinking they are driving, watchdogs.
Many people just have dogs as pets in its worst form. Not training them, carrying them around, buying designer leashes and designer little boots and jackets.
Then when the person is off to work or other activities the dog is put into a create and the little door closed. Then taken out when it is time for some show off. For me that is no doglife.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:56 am
I am always suprised how an animal knows what time it is.
Dogs often know when the owner comes home - on regularly basis.
I am now and then in charge of some cats when the owners are on vacation.
I let them out at 10 am and get there at 5 pm to let them in.
Do I come at 4.30 they are not there yet. Should I come at 5.30-6.00 they are gone and wont be back till next morning. That has never happened to me, but to another lady in charge and she is not punktual.
How can any cat know what time it is?????
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:48 pm
@saab,
I actually have a 17 year old Pomeranian, I would never, actually I did once as she was shaved and was cold and well just for that oneeeeee photo, can't lie, but I would never dress the poor little thing up, on a daily basis or to show off.. I too think that's stupid.

I also have a Husky - diabetic now, and David's Dog, Basset Hound.. They know when David is home, around 5pm, we all go for a walk around the wetlands.. They know when he's not home, at work, they don't go.. Dead on 4.50pm, Kia, the husky starts her talking...

Cats, I've had all my life. You are so right, if Bigsy pinches some food without me seeing and nicks off, he isn't around for 5pm dinner, he comes back later. But, if not, yep he's there waiting in the kitchen around 5pm.

Wabbit, hasn't come home, darn his little butt...

PS: I tried working him, you know, dig the hard dirt for us, so we can plant some plants but he didn't listen...
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 02:29 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Wabbit be home Smile Goes to show, sticking posters on trees does work......
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:53 am
@FOUND SOUL,
he's on a walkabout?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:02 am
@farmerman,
Oh yeah... Apparently, he be walking around the neighbourhood of his new home for at least a week Smile

I think by now everyone knows where he lives.

The first thing he did when he got outside? Was to go to the hole he used (note) used to escape from to see if he could again... But the second thing he did was check out his territory again, eat, and seemed happy.

I understand what you said before.. I just have this huge heart unfortunately, and alot of animals have just found me, with injuries or the likes and I take them in Jet as for my "daughter" who off course, refused after a month of doing any chores, so we bonded instead..

[url/]http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab292/CHANDLERSWISH/IMG_3508.jpg[/url]
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:04 am
@FOUND SOUL,
rabbit looks depressed. HAs it been getting enough vitamin B?