Let's get this straight, the story of Moses is a myth.

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:17 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Palestinians.

Quote:
Genetic analysis suggests that the Muslims of Palestine are descendants of Christians and Jews of the southern Levant, and that half of the Palestinian and Israeli Arab male population descend from a core population that lived there in prehistoric times.[21] From Wiki

You are giving no "extra credit" for the Jews doing overseas study in Europe for two millenia (aka, the Diaspora). To build a modern high tech state of Israel the Jews needed skills they could only get in the west. So, while the Jews were learning about electronics, nuclear physics, etc., the Palestineans were doing what? The story of the Ant and the Grasshopper comes to mind!

Even identical twins have different lives.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:20 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

However, Christians and Jews both have the same story, so perhaps, said tongue in cheek, should Jews get royalties for giving first millenia pagans "early Christianity" with all its sub-plots? If religion had copyright laws, who would be paying whom?

The Pagans came first. It is clear that Jewish mythology was taken from earlier Middle Eastern religions.

However, the "earlier Middle Eastern religions'" people have disappeared, other than for their continued existence as Arabs. In the Middle East, Jews have the longest existing faith as A PEOPLE!
djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:29 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
What I want to know is, how did Jews get to Egypt in the first place.

it started off as a bus trip to the Catskills, they never should have let Moishe read the map, not only did they endure slavery and all that time wandering in the desert, they missed the Jackie Mason show
saab

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:36 am
@Ceili,
At that time, Egypt was ruling most of the areas around what we today see as Israel and other areas.
The Jews were tribes - if I am right - and wondered in large groups where there was good land for their animals.
That was nothing unusual. Here comes how it is explained in the Biblical records. Exodus 1:8-14 (King James Version).

Famine in the Land of Canaan forced inhabitants to find food.
Josef, the son of Jacob, had been sold by his brothers and ended up in Egypt, where, through a series of spectacular events, he becoming second in command to Pharoah. When his brothers came from Canaan for food, Joseph instructed them to bring their father and settle in Egypt. Jacob and his family moved to Egypt and their help was soon requested in building two cities for Pharoah, Pitom and Ramsees. Initially, they were paid for their services, but with the death of all of the 12 sons of Jacob (Levi died last) the employment relationship slowly shifted into one of servitude. Because the tribe of Levi hadn't been involved in the employment relationship, they were not subjected to work, despite what popular film may show.
While the actual implementation of the slavery may have been gradual, the biblical record indicates that a new Pharaoh came to the throne who 'knew not Joseph' (or didn't want to know) and so enslaved the Israelites. The thinking and process is described in the first chapter of Exodus. It must be remembered that Moses was brought up in the household of Pharaoh for 40 years and so would have been quite familiar with how they thought or regarded the Israelites.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:44 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Once you start looking in the right place you see that the Bibilical account is a myth.

Myth schmyth! A religion could have a degree of myth; however, it gives a logical reason to be alienated from other people. Who wants to live on a planet where we get along with everyone else. There's not enough red lollipops for everyone.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:55 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Why isn't that part of the story. Where did they come from, we're they taken from some far off land to be slaves or were they born in the area? If they were rounded up and spirited away to some far off locale, how and by whom?

A tv documentary I saw maybe a year ago, or so, claimed that some archeologists have found evidence that the Israelites were really just Caananites that were "domestics" in cities in the not too far off sands. They somehow got together and decided to populate the area now called Israel. They supposedly gave themselves a new identity as Israelites, including the story of the Exodus and even killing the Caananites (to cement their new identity?), so they could leave their old "domestic" identity behind. I do not think it much matters in a world where a better mouse trap is needed less than a hamburger that can be considered a health food.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 12:00 pm
@mysteryman,
All he was waiting for was someone to feed him the line, and you've just done it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 12:01 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Ceili wrote:

it started off as a bus trip to the Catskills, they never should have let Moishe read the map, not only did they endure slavery and all that time wandering in the desert, they missed the Jackie Mason show

Or, they came from China, having learned the secrets of playing Mah Jong.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 01:02 pm
@Foofie,
Ceili wrote:
Why isn't that part of the story. Where did they come from, we're they taken from some far off land to be slaves or were they born in the area? If they were rounded up and spirited away to some far off locale, how and by whom?
Foofie wrote:
A tv documentary I saw maybe a year ago, or so, claimed that some archeologists have found evidence that the Israelites were really just Caananites that were "domestics" in cities in the not too far off sands. They somehow got together and decided to populate the area now called Israel. They supposedly gave themselves a new identity as Israelites, including the story of the Exodus and even killing the Caananites (to cement their new identity?), so they could leave their old "domestic" identity behind. I do not think it much matters in a world where a better mouse trap is needed less than a hamburger that can be considered a health food.
A question of nomenclature, Foofie:
u have indicated that thay were known as "Israelites" but
when Israel was re-established after the 2nd World War,
thay did not call themselves that; Y the change in name ??

David
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 01:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Desmond Dekker had the copyright.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:02 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Mayan?
Toltec?
Sanskrit?

Your claim to understand EVERY written language is total BS, and you know it.

I didn't claim to understand every written language. I said I understand every written language EXCEPT Greek.

Mayan, Toltec and Sanskrit are all Greek to me.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:05 pm
@maxdancona,
I said you were just waiting for someone to feed you the line. Was it Lou Costello who first said it? That's where I first heard it, the one where they join the Foreign Legion.

I know the original phrase 'Greek to me,' first appears in Julius Caeser.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:07 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
However, the "earlier Middle Eastern religions'" people have disappeared, other than for their continued existence as Arabs.

You aren't getting the key point.

The "earlier Middle Eastern religions" people have not disappeared, they have their continued existence as Jews. The Jewish religion took its key ideas from these earlier religions. The people who practiced these earlier religions were the ancestors of both Jews and Arabs.

You keep wanted to draw a distinction between Jews and Arabs. In ancient times they were the same people.

Quote:
Jews have the longest existing faith as A PEOPLE!

Hindus have Jews beaten by a at least a couple of thousand years.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 09:13 pm
You might call it a mythtake.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:07 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You keep wanted to draw a distinction between Jews and Arabs. In ancient times they were the same people.

Quote:
Jews have the longest existing faith as A PEOPLE!

Hindus have Jews beaten by a at least a couple of thousand years.

Sure they could be the same people in ancient times; however, Jews today are a conglomeration of DNA from wherever they lived. So, this Jewish gene pool subscribes to the same religion (updated from ancient times), and the fact that Arabs today maintain an Islamic faith might just mean one should add apples to apples, and compare Jews to Arab Muslims. In effect, Jews today are not genetically Arabs; perhaps, they should be referred to as Eurabs, with a hint of Asiatic thrown in to enhance the "flavor"? Now that is not your "plain vanilla" Arab by a long shot.

Let's not forget that the tribes that inhabit present day western Europe came from elsewhere in the early Middle Ages. No one is really what their ancestors were "back in the day."

Also, I didn't forget about Hindus. I just don't think they were part of this discussion.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:57 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Sure they could be the same people in ancient times; however, Jews today are a conglomeration of DNA from wherever they lived. So, this Jewish gene pool subscribes to the same religion (updated from ancient times), and the fact that Arabs today maintain an Islamic faith might just mean one should add apples to apples, and compare Jews to Arab Muslims. In effect, Jews today are not genetically Arabs; perhaps, they should be referred to as Eurabs, with a hint of Asiatic thrown in to enhance the "flavor"? Now that is not your "plain vanilla" Arab by a long shot.

How is that different than any other "people"? This could describe any number of ethnic groups.

It is also myth is that Jewish people are special or unique (that is any more special and unique than anyone else). I don't think that Jews are any worse than anyone else, but it is just as bigoted to think we are better than anyone else.

Foofie

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

How is that different than any other "people"? This could describe any number of ethnic groups.

It is also myth is that Jewish people are special or unique (that is any more special and unique than anyone else). I don't think that Jews are any worse than anyone else, but it is just as bigoted to think we are better than anyone else.

You might be off topic?
0 Replies

litesp33d

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 08:35 am
@Foofie,
Just because a billion people believe something without evidence does not make it true.
All religions are wrong. The only place that gods exist is in the mind of those that think they do. Be aware that most of that billion muslims are under the age of 14 and have been born and raised inside a totalitarian regime where any thought other than that stated in the Koran is highly likely to be met with execution. That tends to focus the mind on obedience.
But even though Galileo was forced to say the Sun goes round the Earth it did not stop the Earth going round the Sun.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 09:31 am
@litesp33d,
Quote:
Be aware that most of that billion muslims are under the age of 14 and have been born and raised inside a totalitarian regime where any thought other than that stated in the Koran is highly likely to be met with execution.

This sentence is completely false in at least 7 different ways.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 05:13 pm
@maxdancona,
I want to see if I am right...

1) Most Muslims aren't under the age of 14.
2) Most Muslims aren't born in a totalitarian regime.
3) Most Muslims aren't raised in a totalitarian regime.
4) Most Muslims are able to publicly express views that aren't stated in the Koran without fear of punishment.
5) Most people living in totalitarian regimes aren't Muslim.
6) In totalitarian regimes rules are to protect people from opposing the government (not the religion). People in Muslim totalitarian regimes can express views outside the Koran as long as they don't oppose the government, and they can be killed for expressing views in the Koran if they do threaten the government.

Oh darn, I can only come up with 6. I guess your post is not as ignorant and bigoted as I originally thought.

Please accept my apology.
0 Replies