Let's get this straight, the story of Moses is a myth.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 08:19 pm
@maxdancona,
you don't suppose they coulda used firepits left by other folkses, do you...?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 08:23 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Perhaps they're not looking in the right place.

Good thinking, but the archaeologists are way ahead of you.

Based on the Biblical accounts they looked for records of Hebrew slaves in Egypt and they found none and records of a hugs military loss and found none, and they looked for signs of a mass migration through the Sinai and they found none.

So then they started looking in different places to find out what really happened. They looked at the history of ancient Palestine and they found settlements there. And they looked at the genes of Palestinians and Jews and found out they have common Bronze age ancestors.

Once you start looking in the right place you see that the Bibilical account is a myth.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 08:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
you don't suppose they coulda used firepits left by other folkses, do you...?

Of course they could've. That's what I would have done choosing my path very carefully from firepit to firepit and making sure we didn't start too many fires. It was a damn good thing there was this string of pre-existing firepits that aren't there.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 08:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maybe somebody covered them over with rocks so the gentiles wouldn't try to use them...

there seems an abundance of rocks.

and kosher fire pits are, as you've commented, hard to come by...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 08:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Were "the archaeologists" looking in Saudi Arabia?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 09:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Were "the archaeologists" looking in Saudi Arabia?

That would contradict the Biblical account which lists places. Once you accept the Bible isn't correct, what's the point of jumping through these mental hoops?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 09:10 pm
@maxdancona,
How would that contradict the Biblical account?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 09:12 pm
@maxdancona,
here's the thing about the Bible as we read it today...

somebody translated it from greek a long time ago, and we get to read it as they decided it should be printed.

do you read greek?

Old King James makes for an interesting read.

do you trust him?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 09:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
do you read greek?

Actually I understand every language ever written except Greek,
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 06:46 am
the moses story could be 'true'... I use the term loosely.

If an entire city is flooded... and people really have no way of understanding how VAST the earth is, and how large their area is.. of course they are going to think its the end of the world. There is no escape , its a punishment....etc, etc.. yes those words and ideas would plague majority of people. You get someone who is a bit smarter than others... has learned to recognize weather patterns and he MAKES his own boat knowing a storm is coming, or HAS his own boat and a storm comes.. Wow. He must be a profit.
This so called profit, or smart man.. is able to scoop up livestock from others farms and areas and saves them for what ever reason ( for all we know he could have been a thief !) and sails away... in such a high emotion, high anger, high fear incident people will talk, they wil remember and they will wonder for a looooong time about that person.

I believe that a lot of the things that happened in that book are real. But, they are hear say and have been accommodated over time to represent individual people's ideas and beliefs.

No, there isnt a god, and no there was not a savior... but I bet there were quite a few people who were able to manipulate people, trick the eye and 'predict' things that the commoner had no way of proving, understanding or reproducing.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:46 am
@shewolfnm,
I think you're confusing Moses with Noah.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
BAHAHAHAHA

yes I am.
how embarrassing.
And the reason is due to the fact that , on another forum I am having a conversation ABOUT Noah and how the floods have been proven to be a repeating thing in that area..
I come here... Noah on the brain ... and keep going with that train of thought.

gah. I need more coffee Smile

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:57 am
@shewolfnm,
There's a flood story in Greek mythology as well, and the story of the Garden of Eden is quite similar to Pandora's box.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:46 am
@izzythepush,
I do not remember where I read it, but there is something like 32 religions that profess a great flood.
saab

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 09:04 am
We hear about people being found days after an earthquake, we hear about babies being saved also after days. If these stories would have been told over generations the time from earthquakwe to being saved would probably get longer for every generation. How often donĀ“t we colour a story ourselves.
"I waited for hours with lots of people in line at the postoffice"

This winter a man in northern Sweden got lost at spent 2 months in his car living from snow. I did not believe it at first, but it is true.

So why should there not be some truth about Moses and Noah.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:33 am
@maxdancona,
Mayan?
Toltec?
Sanskrit?

Your claim to understand EVERY written language is total BS, and you know it.
As for the Sinai Peninsula, I have been there several times, so I do know what the terrain and climate conditions are.
My point was that all deserts have many of the same features, and you shouldn't presume otherwise.

Now, even the ancient Egyptians altered facts to fit whatever Pharaoh was in power at the time.
Foe example, there is a temple in Thebes that describes Ramses' victory at the battle of Kadesh.
But on the other side of that same temple it talks about Ramses signing a peace with the very same people he was supposed to have conquered at Kadesh.
So, which story is true? Did he conquer them or sign a treaty with them?
And since the Pharaoh was supposed to be a living God, do you seriously believe that the scribes would record the fact that a "God" couldn't put down a slave revolt?
You either believe or you don't, nothing anyone says will change your mind.
Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:42 am
What I want to know is, how did Jews get to Egypt in the first place.
Why isn't that part of the story. Where did they come from, we're they taken from some far off land to be slaves or were they born in the area? If they were rounded up and spirited away to some far off locale, how and by whom?
Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:07 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
From some tv documentary, ...

There seems to be a theme developing on this thread...

Quote:
it appeared to me that the Israeli Bedouins have more of a Jewish resemblance than the current Palestineans.

We can do better than this. We have modern genetics. The Jews and the Palestinians have the same ancestors from thousands of years ago.

Sure. And what were Jews/Hebrews before Abraham? Obviously, just some run of the mill Gentiles.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:08 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

And there is genetic and archaeological evidence that the Palestinians and Jewish common ancestors were living in the region all along.

Did the Palestinean mothers dream that their sons would become doctors or lawyers?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There's also the need to exaggerate. I imagine spending a weeked with Foofie would seem like forty years in the wilderness.

You are doing Bob Hope humor. You could entertain the troops.
0 Replies