What does "draw a line" mean?

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:30 am

Context

BEIJING—Xi Jinping, the man expected to take over China's top post in the fall, made a public appeal for "purity" among Communist Party leaders as the country's leadership sought to draw a line under a scandal that felled one of its senior members this week.

In an essay published Friday, Vice President Xi didn't refer directly to Bo Xilai, who was dismissed as party chief of the mega-city of Chongqing on Thursday over a political scandal that erupted when his former police chief spent a night in a U.S. consulate in China last month.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:16 am
@oristarA,
It means to move on, it's an attempt at closure, although this is not always successful. Basically Xi is talking about something else, and looking to the future.
oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It means to move on, it's an attempt at closure, although this is not always successful. Basically Xi is talking about something else, and looking to the future.

Thank you.
Does "one of its senior members" refer to Bo Xilai?
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:37 am
@oristarA,
yes. Bo Xilai.
~~

I'd like to know what the people on the street are saying about this.

Joe(maybe I'll start a thread to discuss it elsewhere on A2K)Nation
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:46 am
Ori - is this a translation?.

It is such odd wording.

"leadership sought to draw a line under a scandal that felled one of its senior members this week"

Perhaps the meaning is to underscore = emphasise
or undermine = weaken
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:13 am
@oristarA,
Yes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:16 am
@PUNKEY,
It doesn't seem strange to me, maybe the phrase 'draw a line under,' isn't used in American English, but it's fairly common parlance over here.

Quote:
draw a line under something
if you draw a line under something, it is finished and you do not think about it again Let's draw a line under the whole episode and try to continue our work in a more positive frame of mind.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/draw+a+line+under
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:19 am
@izzythepush,
I bet the item comes from a British source so Izzy's got it right.

We are separated by our common language.
Joe(pip, pip, ta ta, cheerio)Nation
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:05 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Ori - is this a translation?.

It is such odd wording.

"leadership sought to draw a line under a scandal that felled one of its senior members this week"

Perhaps the meaning is to underscore = emphasise
or undermine = weaken

It is from today's headline of WallStreetJournal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304459804577284674241443342.html?mod=WSJAsia_hpp_LEFTTopStories
Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:36 am
@oristarA,
Still it's a British usage of the phrase meaning to 'try to put a stop' to the scandal.
Think of the line drawn under an arithmetic problem, "nothing to be added on here."

_______

Joe(we don't use it in the USA, despite its appearance in the WSG.)Nation

PS: Maybe an refugee writer/editor from The (dead) News of the World.

Another instance:
It comes after a Feb. 2 ruling by India's Supreme Court annulling 122 licences obtained by nine companies in the controversial 2008 awards.

The court ruling and new policy in the world's fastest growing telecoms market is an attempt to draw a line under a scandal with its themes of government corruption, lack of transparency and opaque regulations that in the view of many analysts has tainted India's entire standing as an investment destination.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/India+attempts+clean+long+running+telecoms+scandal/6179406/story.html#ixzz1pIKEEfOA<br />
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:40 am
@Joe Nation,
We don't use pip pip, ta ta or cheerio over here, honest.
oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

We don't use pip pip, ta ta or cheerio over here, honest.

I've failed to get "pip pip, ta ta". Embarrassed
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:56 am
@oristarA,
They're 19th Century terms for Goodbye.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:23 am
I'm sorry about the 'pip, pip, cheerio'.
I can be confusing at times.

I'll try to keep to the current jargon.

Joe( Cool)Nation
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:41 am
@Joe Nation,
That's ok mate, I can get a mite sensitive when your countrymen try to be British, but end up sounding Dickensian. Governor is another word that nobody, (with the possible exception of police officers talking about their superiors,) ever uses.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:45 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Context

BEIJING—Xi Jinping, the man expected to take over China's top post in the fall, made a public appeal for "purity" among Communist Party leaders as the country's leadership sought to draw a line under a scandal that felled one of its senior members this week.

Just a minor addition, but if they had said "underline" instead of "draw a line under", it would have sounded much more natural to an American.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:46 am
@roger,
And it would have sounded unnatural over here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:51 am
@roger,
Isn't underlining usually used to draw attention to something?

Drawing a line under something (here in central Canada) means that you're marking the end of something. The example of coming to the end of a set of numbers to be added up putting a line under the last number is how I've heard it explained.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:53 am
@oristarA,
sooooooo, in the original example

oristarA wrote:
the country's leadership sought to draw a line under a scandal that felled one of its senior members this week.

to draw a line under the scandal would mean that the government is trying to end discussion of the matter. It's over. It's done.

~~~

Underlining (to me) would mean that the government is attempting to draw attention to the scandal.

Unlikely, eh.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Underlining something, and drawing a line under something have the same meaning, so far as I know. My point was that 'draw a line' by itself is usually used in the sense of drawing a line in the sand, or maybe establishing a deadline. In otherwords, establishing a line that can't be crossed. When I first saw the words draw a line (under) something, I was momentarily diverted from the actual meaning. My mind sometimes goes in odd directions. I should really save it for something important.

We also use the underline to mark the end of a column of numbers, as you know. Put all the revenues in a column and underline the last number. Do the same with expenses. When you find the difference, double underline the net income or loss. All done. Finished.