What does "draw a line" mean?

roger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:06 pm
@ehBeth,
That is very subtle, and I believe you are exactly right. Now, can we count on our writers to follow the same convention?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:37 pm
@roger,
Drawing a line in the sand, and drawing a line under something are quite different. When you draw a line in the sand, you're taking a stand against something. When you draw a line under something, you're trying to move on, it's usually something that's attempted, not always successfully. It's more passive.

If at the Alamo, where I believe the phrase originated, William Travis had decided to draw a line under it, instead of drawing a line in the sand, they would all have packed up and gone home.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Sounds like the uses of the word 'secure'.

Tell the Marines to secure a building and they will launch a full scale invasion.

The Air Force will bomb it into oblivion.

The Army will establish a defensive perimeter around it.

The Navy would just turn out the lights, lock the doors, and go home.

Iz, I'm not sure anyone understands the distinction I was trying to make, or not. Anyway, I'm not going to labor the point.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:18 pm
@roger,
That is really funny, Roger.

Joe(thin Q)Nation Laughing
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(we don't use it in the USA, despite its appearance in the WSG.)Nation

You didn't notice it was from the WSJ Asia edition - they tend to be quite different and use British English both in Asia and in Europe. "Table the motion" is another useful expression to remember in US v. Brit usage - it's the exact opposite.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:22 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Underlining something, and drawing a line under something have the same meaning, so far as I know.

They have quite different meanings when used idiomatically in British English (certainly, and possibly these meanings are theoretically available in American English). I rather think that 'drawing a line under' used as quoted comes from the way book-keepers or accountants drew or ruled a line under a set of figures e.g. at the end of an accounting period. This was called 'closing the books'.

Following the UK court case 3M stated its intention to purse Porton in the USA over claims that by accusing 3M of the above breaches it was effectively trying to “extort” an out of court settlement from the company.

The New York judge has now thrown out 3M’s claim, which one would imagine draws a line under the affair.

To underline used metaphorically can mean to emphasize or draw attention to something.

Of those regularly treating for rodents at key times of the year and widely across their farmsteads, however, only 49% reported such rat problems. This contrasts with fully 62% of those only baiting when and where infestations were obvious.

“This underlines the value of nipping rodent infestations in the bud by planned treatment at specific times of the season,” points out study co-ordinator, Shirley Wilson
roger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:44 pm
@contrex,
In American booking, we use a single underline above the total. It takes a double underline to show the account has been closed to retained earnings.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:35 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Underlining something, and drawing a line under something have the same meaning, so far as I know. My point was that 'draw a line' by itself is usually used in the sense of drawing a line in the sand, or maybe establishing a deadline. In otherwords, establishing a line that can't be crossed. When I first saw the words draw a line (under) something, I was momentarily diverted from the actual meaning. My mind sometimes goes in odd directions. I should really save it for something important.

We also use the underline to mark the end of a column of numbers, as you know. Put all the revenues in a column and underline the last number. Do the same with expenses. When you find the difference, double underline the net income or loss. All done. Finished.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sounds like the uses of the word 'secure'.

Tell the Marines to secure a building and they will launch a full scale invasion.

The Air Force will bomb it into oblivion.

The Army will establish a defensive perimeter around it.

The Navy would just turn out the lights, lock the doors, and go home.

Iz, I'm not sure anyone understands the distinction I was trying to make, or not. Anyway, I'm not going to labor the point.

If I was the commander, I would laud them with the same word: Good job, boys. Very Happy
0 Replies