Another glitch

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:21 pm
I have just encountered whilst attempting to report the first glitch: When I hype the word “software” it changes color and gets underlined

Why

Edited to add that this puzzling phenom evidently affects other words as well. Being underlined I suspect it’s a link of some sort. I’ll look into this possibility and report back

Edited a second time to report another apparent glitch: Upon attempting to edit a post, it comes back partially obscured when a sentence is cut off at the bottom of the editing window and at the same time it is impossible to scroll in order to expose the hidden text

roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:25 pm
@dalehileman,
So far as I understand, there is an advertising program running with the permission of the owners that converts certain keywords into links to some product or other. Those links are shown as underlined, green text. If your cursor crosses one of them, a little window will open to promote something or other. I've just learned to avoid them while mousing around.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:32 pm
@roger,
Quote:
while mousing around.
chuckle chuckle...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi dalehileman, welcome to A2K.

If you need help learning how to navigate around this site, here's a link to a tutorial that may help:

How to Set Preferences, Navigate, Format Posts, Sort Topics on A2K
http://able2know.org/topic/152761-1

If you have more questions about the site, feel free to post them.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:36 pm
@dalehileman,
The partially obscurred post you refer to probably has to do with your preference settings which you'll learn about in the tutorial I posted above.

In your preference settings there is an option to display each post in entirety or just the first few lines of each post. You can toggle it to your preference.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:49 pm
@roger,
Thank you Rog. I gather you find them annoying also
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 01:51 pm
@dalehileman,
Yes. I can't think of a single member who enjoys the effect.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:25 pm
If you are using the Firefox browser, there are several add-ons that block those "green line ads" and many other ads.

I haven't seen an ad on A2K for many years after installing the ad-block.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you But

..or do hyoju prefer “fly"
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:19 am
@dalehileman,
Help, help—still impossible to scroll in edit mode
Why
Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:20 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Help, help—still impossible to scroll in edit mode
Why

Let me see.
Nope, it can be done.

When ready to edit, click the cursor arrow in the box, then do your up/down scroll. If you press the down arrow it will take you down in the text to the line you want to edit. If you need to add text to the already written paragraphs (an additional paragraph) use the arrow, get to the end, then

Hit

'enter' button to jump further down the page.

When arriving at the edit page there is a box with previous text. When you click in that box a gold outline will appear, then you are ready to edit.

Here is edit number 3.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:44 am
@Sturgis,
Thank you Stu let’s see how it works

Testing, testing
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:47 am
@dalehileman,
Nah Stu, much less edit it, I couldn’t even get access to my post but instead got an error message of some sort telling me what a bad person I am

But eventually I will comprehend and comport with help from others like yourself who will respond to the Average Clod (me) in spite of my digital ignorance
Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:54 am
@dalehileman,
You couldn't gain access and murdered innocent hamsters because I had already responded. Once a response is in, your time is up.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Sorry Stu I’m still doing circles around the poor creature

But what’s the meaning of the hamster
Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 01:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Mythical hamsters are the 'elves' that allegedly run the site (sort of the site mascot).

As an example check this thread out:

http://able2know.org/topic/96041-1

or

http://able2know.org/topic/14233-1
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 01:15 pm
@Sturgis,
Just to complicate matters - believe it or not - if you post, then choose to re-edit within that 10-15 min. time limit, in actuality a responder may reply to your post and the hamster will allow you to re-edit AFTER (and even though) another person responds. You may not even notice the response while you choose to re-edit your first post.

It gets pretty confusing for the unaware responder, unless the first person (the author) actually marks up the post with a comment {edit or re-edit: blah-blah}. A post can be re-edited by the author within the short timeframe regardless of a single response. I've done it many times.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 01:33 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
It gets pretty confusing
Amen
0 Replies