Eye On Israel/Palestine

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:28 pm
Probably right. But what is the likelihood that settlers actually want to be part of a Palestinian state? Probably about the same. The water is definitely poisoned for everyone there, no doubt about it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:32 pm
FreeDuck
But wouldn't it be the best solution to have the nations side by side with intergrated populations.Wishful thinking.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:41 pm
Well, my wishful thinking was a one state solution, but I don't think that's really possible. I do think that, if we start with a fair two state solution, over time and if peace persists, the populations will integrate themselves. That's my hope, anyway.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 01:12 am
The Arabs had rejected partition along ethnic lines from the very beginning, rejecting UN res. 181. It was the Zionists who pushed for it, and got it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:17 am
InfraBlue
You neglected to mention that the Arabs also rejected the formation of a Jewish State and did everything in their power to destroy it. Of course where you are concerned that comes as no surprise.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:58 am
InfraBlue wrote:
The Arabs had rejected partition along ethnic lines from the very beginning, rejecting UN res. 181. It was the Zionists who pushed for it, and got it.

How clever of you infrableu, to know that the Arabs rejected partition....
How terribly silly of you infrableu, to fantasize that that powerless, annihilated, Jewish Zionists were able to sway the entire world (with their international banking system perhaps? or maybe their international communist cabal?) to accept
Quote:
UN Resolution 181:
.........Having received and examined the report of the Special Committee including a number of unanimous recommendations and a plan of partition with economic union approved by the majority of the Special Committee,

Considers that the present situation in Palestine is one which is likely to impair the general welfare and friendly relations among nations;

Takes note of the declaration by the mandatory Power that it plans to complete its evacuation of Palestine by l August 1948;

Recommends to the United Kingdom, as the mandatory Power for Palestine, and to all other Members of the United Nations the adoption and implementation, with regard to the future Government of Palestine, of the Plan of Partition with Economic Union set out below;...........
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:44 am
au,
the Arabs' opposition to partition was effectively the Arabs' opposition to the formation of a Jewish State.

You state the Arabs did everything in their power to destroy it. You neglect to mention that the Zionists did everything in their power to ethnically cleanse it down to a "manageable minority" of Arabs.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:47 am
moishe, what?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:27 am
InfraBlue wrote

Quote:
You state the Arabs did everything in their power to destroy it. You neglect to mention that the Zionists did everything in their power to ethnically cleanse it down to a "manageable minority" of Arabs.

If that is so they did a hell of a bad job since there are many Palestinian Israeli citizen. Possibly as many as 20%. I will leave it to you to look up the exact number. Which no doubt you will.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:31 am
au- You piqued my curiosity, so I looked it up!

http://www.countryreports.org/country.asp?countryID=119&countryName=Israel

Quote:
Religion: Jewish 80.1%, Muslim 14.6% (mostly Sunni Muslim), Christian 2.1%, other 3.2% (1996 est.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:41 am
Phoenix
Thanks, I knew someone would.
Blue
At one time prior to the state of Israel there were large Jewish communities in the ME. Communities that were as old as 2000 years. I wonder how many of those still exist. Wonder of course is the wrong word since there is nothing to wonder about.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:43 am
That's interesting. It's possible that the 14, 2, and 3 percents are all Arab populations and that would give the roughly 20%. Still, that to me, sounds like a "manageable minority".
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:44 am
au1929 wrote:
Phoenix
Thanks, I knew someone would.
Blue
At one time prior to the state of Israel there were large Jewish communities in the ME. Communities that were as old as 2000 years. I wonder how many of those still exist. Wonder of course is the wrong word since there is nothing to wonder about.

Don't you think many of them, if they weren't already part of Israel, moved there to be a part of the historic Jewish state? It's definitely true for the large community that had been in Morocco.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
FreeDuck
No I don't! Consider the large Iraqi Jewish community. They left with very little more than the shirts on their backs.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:04 am
au1929 wrote:
FreeDuck
No I don't! Consider the large Iraqi Jewish community. They left with very little more than the shirts on their backs.

When? And where did they go?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:13 am
Most to Israel. Where should they have gone. The fact remains they did not go because the wanted to. They went because they had no real choice.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:15 am
Kind of like the refugees in the territories. Did this happen to all Jewish communities, or just the ones in Iraq?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:33 am
au1929 wrote:
Most to Israel. Where should they have gone. The fact remains they did not go because the wanted to. They went because they had no real choice.

From the Jewish Virtual Library:
The Jews of Iraq

From iraqijews.org: Iraqui Jews

Website of IRAQUI JEWS Who left Bagdad during the 60's and 70's
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 12:16 pm
Thanks for the links, Walter. I am ignorant of the whole history.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:05 pm
Refugees:
The Refugee Issue
The Jewish Refugees
Palestinian Facts
Jews from Arab Countries and the Palestinian Right for Return:
0 Replies