Fruit and Diabetes

gollum

Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:19 pm
Is eating fruit a risk factor for diabetes?

roger

Sun 19 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@gollum,
Sadly, yes. Varies from one fruit to another, but watch out for pineapple.
gollum

Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:37 pm
@roger,
Roger-
Thank you. Other than pineapple, how can I tell which fruits are good and which are bad?
roger

Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:46 pm
@gollum,
You might do a google search on Glycemic Index.

One thing to keep in mind: glycemic index is not the only consideration. With diabetes, one still needs a reasonably healthy diet, and sometimes the carbohydrates simply cannot be avoided. Always that trade off, eh?
Butrflynet

Sun 19 Feb, 2012 07:18 pm
@gollum,
Here are a couple references that will help you:

This is the glycemic index for some everyday foods. They're arranged from low to high, with the actual GI Value shown at the right of the food. Click on a category you want to see.

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html

Here's a more comprehensive list in pdf format that you can download or print:

http://www.glycemicindex.ca/glycemicindexfoods.pdf
0 Replies

Jeniifer

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:34 am
Thanks for providing the link.
0 Replies

davidmartin414

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:12 am
@roger,
yes i agree with you
0 Replies

harveysmith27

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 04:25 am
Yes its risky if you suffering with diabetes then you have to be careful
i am not saying this stop eating fruits but eat fruits those are not harm full for you.
you can take advice from your doctor also.
0 Replies

joanne001

Tue 28 Aug, 2012 12:23 am
@gollum,
It’s a myth that eating sugar can cause diabetes. There is so many other factors associated with diabetes such as over eating with lack of activity, Family heridity. Now, if you have some of the risk factors for diabetes or you are pre-diabetic, then eating too much fruit can be bad for you because of the natural sugar levels. Talk to your dietitian about the amount, frequency and types of fruits you should eat.
0 Replies

ennysmith

Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:46 am
@gollum,
Thanks for giving link butrflynet
0 Replies

Frejya

Fri 7 Sep, 2012 01:29 am
@gollum,
Not all the fruits are harmful for diabetes, papaya is very helpful for all the diabetic patients, one should avoid juicy fruits like - mango, watermelon.....
margo

Fri 7 Sep, 2012 02:37 am
@Frejya,
Frejya wrote:

Not all the fruits are harmful for diabetes, papaya is very helpful for all the diabetic patients, one should avoid juicy fruits like - mango, watermelon.....

hardly worth living, then....
0 Replies

mickey513

Fri 7 Sep, 2012 07:55 am
@gollum,
This is just a myth. There sugar is fructose and the cause off diabetes is gluctose.

I hope this helps.
healthforever

Fri 13 Dec, 2013 12:23 am
@mickey513,
Hi guys,

Fruits are essential for health. All fruits are not good for diabetes patient because there is sugar in it. Specially juicy fruits helps to increase the sugal level in our body. So the doctor now suggested that papaya is very helpful for diabetes patient.

Best regards
Ademola Okubena
0 Replies

Woodlandsvillage

Fri 13 Dec, 2013 11:53 pm
@gollum,
yes i agree with you
0 Replies

stevem13

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:48 am
@gollum,
Whole fruit protect against diabetes,but juices of fruit is risk factor

Eating grapes,apples,blueberries and pears cuts the risk but drinking of fruit juice can increase your diabetes.Researchers including a team from Harvard School of Public Health in the US
By Research fruit bluberry cut the risk by 33 % while raisins and grapes cut 19 %.Apples and pears cut 13 % lower.

It is becouse of Fluids pass through the stomach to the intestine more rapidly than solids. So, Juices affects rapidily on diabetes.So, You can eat fruit but not much fruit juices.
roger

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:45 am
@stevem13,
I very much agree. Fruit is usually good, and their juices are almost always very bad.
0 Replies

james fraser5

Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:54 am
@gollum,
hi,
In diabetes certain fruits can be eaten and certain are to be avoided.
the following fruits can be eaten by diabetic patients and are useful to lower sugar levels.
Kiwi,black jamun, white jamun,starfruit,guava, cherries, peaches
0 Replies

thinkskinny

Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:20 am
@roger,
Thank you for your information. I love fruits specially apple, strawberry,banana and grapes.
0 Replies

Woodlandsvillage

Tue 21 Jan, 2014 03:39 am
@gollum,
Lower sugar levels fruits like Kiwi,black jamun, white jamun,starfruit,guava, cherries and peaches.
0 Replies