Iron Intake and the Leprechaun on My Back

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:51 pm
Iron-I have too much of it. Yes, this is usually odd for a woman however, its been this way for gosh, 10 or 15 years.
My doc said that there is a possible sickness with too much iron so, I should try to find vitamins without added iron---this isn't easy for a gal who also needs calcium so basically, I just try to eat balanced stuff here and there..variety and all that....and have a healthy dose of Tums on hand for a daily vitamin for the calcium thing.

I have recently discovered however that Lucky Charms have enough iron that if I have more than one bowl...bling...up goes the iron level.
I do not want to be limited in Lucky Charms intake--mostly because I'm craving them and they are in the cabinet taunting me but, still it would probably be good for me to know if there are other alternatives out there.

Is there something else I can eat that will cancel the iron?

How much iron really is too much?

Is blood letting to drastic ya think? (da lucky charms be callin me man)

sigh

should this have gone in food & drink?

big sigh
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,770 • Replies: 46
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 07:55 pm
Interesting question. I had no idea it was possible to get too much iron without taking supliments.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:02 pm
Well, it seems there is...Im living proof.

Then again-if iron is added to food, thats supplimental, isnt it?

So, I could be having lots of iron supplimented foods I suppose.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:15 pm
Quote:
The only effective treatment is bloodletting. If untreated, men generally start suffering permanent liver damage and other problems in their mid-40s; women usually don't get sick until a decade later, probably because they have lost blood regularly through menstruation and childbirth.

http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/iron_overload_disorder_increases_heart_attack_risk.htm

Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:19 pm
http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/12/1685_50247
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:24 pm
OHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was kidding

LOL

sheesh
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:25 pm
Anyone know a vampire???
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
Might make a good case for donating blood.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
Unfortunately I think I have another year before they will take it...tattoo and all.
Then theres the whole..cant find my veins...humm, that could hurt my hunt for a vampire also I suppose.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:30 pm
I'll call the bait shop and see if I can buy a few hundred leeches for ya. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
Good idea. I think you need to keep 'em in clear water or something for awhile to get them cleaned out and nice and hungry.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:34 pm
Quote:
12. A low iron diet is not recommended. Avoid alcohol, vitamin C additives and raw seafood. The Vibrio vulnificus in some raw seafood kills a number of people every year, usually those with undetected iron overload.

hummm....this is sounding more and more like I dont want to know.

Quote:
15. Iron does cross the blood brain barrier, contrary to old belief. Excess iron stored in the brain has been found to exacerbate severity in Alzheimer's, MS, Lou Gehrig's, Parkinson's and other diseases. Iron in the brain also leads to psychological problems.

yeah, I probably should just ignore it

who ever thought there was a
Iron Overload Organization
????
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 08:35 pm
hehehe..pet leeches..now that sounds like ALOT of fun
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
leeches and blood letting, oh my.

Well, they do use leeches in modern medicine, but not for letting blood. I wonder how much blood a leech could eat in one sitting.

So, calcium blocks iron absorption, yes? Eat tums with every meal? VitC aids in the absorption of iron, so don't eat food with C in them while you're eating high-iron stuff? You need vitamin c. Why do they say not to restrict iron intake?

Very interesting, q.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:07 pm
calcium blocks iron absorption????? No No...I take Tums now...thats obviously not helping.
Perhaps I didnt make that clear enough.

Maybe Im confused....maybe the psychological disorders have begun.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:14 pm
Quote:
Calcium: Calcium may decrease the absorption of iron, zinc and magnesium, though this effect may not be significant. Dairy foods, due to their high phosphorus content, may reduce calcium absorption from other sources. Since calcium is an individual supplement, it can be taken apart from other minerals and dairy foods.

Ah, says it's not significant (could it help a little?). And the vitamin c thing:

Quote:
Vitamin C: Vitamin C increases iron absorption from foods and supplements. Vitamin C may decrease the absorption of dietary copper.

Vitamins
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:17 pm
Is the condition called hemochromatosis?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:21 pm
Ah..so my Tums regimine can simply be increased and aid in many ways..this I like Smile It also may have been helping previous to this without me even know of it...how cool is that??
Im thinking here that while it says its not significant, with someone taking calcium anyway, it doesnt help, couldnt hurt, and heck..it works for me.

The vitamin C thing...now, thats disturbing. Really, I mean VitC is such a wonderful thing. I can watch that I suppose...however I seriously doubt I can or would really want to cut it out.

Okay..the taunting got to me...I have taken on the green man. I shall keep it to a minimum however.

It is interesting though. I probably really shouldnt be eating it since it has both iron and Vit C.

So, Im exploring here while I give in to the urges.
A serving size is 1 cup
The PDV of Iron in one serving is: 25%
The PDV of VitC in one serving is: 10%

So, I probably had like 4 cups yesterday (how many cups fit in a small bowl?)
So, I overloaded myself completely even if nothing else I ate contained iron.

Humm..okay..Ill stop now, the craving is gone.

I bought the big box though...this could be a rough week.

Please stay with me
Wink
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:22 pm
littlek wrote:
Is the condition called hemochromatosis?

Thats the far end of the scale of Iron Overload...which I guess I should be on the lookout for.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:25 pm
Q - just eat the damned box and limit your intake once he's far far away at the grocery store. Go find some pink-o hippie cereal to eat that doesn't have a lot of added iron. They do add sugar to some of those cereals....

I think the idea is that you take your VitC seperately from meals (where you'll be encountering iron) and take your calcium with meals.

To be honest, I am of the 'get your calcium from food rather than supplements' crowd. That's hard for you, I know, but maybe consider joining fishin in a cup of yogurt daily. There is calcium in many vegetables, but also iron (like spinach....).
0 Replies