izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't refer to Websters. I use the Oxford English Dictionary.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:24 pm
Whitney Houston's death was tragic if one had developed an emotional connection with her and one could argue her life, and death was a tragedy in that she was a mighty one brought low brought by a flaw, but except for people who truly loved her (not simply a fan) her death was no more tragic than my Uncle's who died several weeks ago with virtually no mention in the media.

If one considers the death tragic because the world has been deprived of her talent, one exaggerates her talent. If one considers her death tragic because one is personally deprived of her talent, one is being selfish.

She certainly was a tremendous talent but my reaction to her death, within the context of her talent, tends far more towards anger or pity than sadness.

How many people in this world are blessed with such talent, and how many people would love to have such a level of talent?

She had it and she squandered it.

Obviously the pure joy of producing beauty with her God given voice was not enough for her.

Clearly she allowed all the rest of the shallow **** that often follows such joy to overwhelm it. I don't condemn her for this as she was as human as anyone else and therefore as subject to our flaws, but I can't understand the desire to make her an even greater cultural icon than her talent did because she died relatively young.

The same nonsense was trotted out when Amy Winehouse died.

This is definitely not to say that her death deserves any reaction other than mourning, or that she should be reviled because she took drugs. It is to say that her death should be no more tragic to the average person than the loss of the Coca Cola formula.

Too often we look for heroes among the famous and infamous. I don't know a lot about her personal life, but if the depth of sadness over her death is defined only by the extent offer talent, I'm not moved.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Still don't "jive" izzy...look it up.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You may not think that forcing someone to use their talent for the good of the collective, country, or party is not fascistic. I disagree.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Whoa. Way to respond to racism.....not.

Not all Boers can be boors.

Pamela Rosa is a boorish whatever its origins....but I'm not sure that type-casting in the way you did the Boers is anything more than another example of the same fault.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:39 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Whoa. Way to respond to racism.....not.

Not all Boers can be boors.

Pamela Rosa is a boorish whatever its origins....but I'm not sure that type-casting in the way you did the Boers is anything more than another example of the same fault.

Very well put.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 04:51 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah, you're right. I was just sick that she'd use a memorial thread to be so nasty. I was throwing a bit her way for a change. I'm sorry.
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Whitney Houston's death was tragic if one had developed an emotional connection with her and one could argue her life, and death was a tragedy in that she was a mighty one brought low brought by a flaw, but except for people who truly loved her (not simply a fan) her death was no more tragic than my Uncle's who died several weeks ago with virtually no mention in the media.

I would think that your uncle's death was tragic to you and anyone he had encouraged or touched in some way. I know you qualified it by saying "(not simply a fan)", but music is a personal thing. Songs can evoke all kinds of emotion - especially when sung by someone like Whitney.

Many people were touched by Whitney's voice - and her songs. So her death is tragic - to many. I think that means characterized by extreme distress or sorrow. So that sounds right on to me.

Quote:
It is to say that her death should be no more tragic to the average person than the loss of the Coca Cola formula.

That is about the goofiest thing I have ever heard. Not to be ugly to you - but anyone's death is a time for sorrow - to someone - and quite frankly it would never rank - should never rank as low as the loss of the Coca-Cola formula. And I love Coke.

People who are aged and have lived their life, folks who are dying with no hope of healing - their death can be considered a blessing. But a woman, who struggled with addiction dying at 48 years of age? Whether she was famous or not - it is a shame and yes - a tragedy.

And regardless of whether you agree with her life or not - you do not know what she had to deal with on a daily basis. You do not know why she turned to drugs.
Quote:
Obviously the pure joy of producing beauty with her God given voice was not enough for her.

That sounds like judging to me. ick.

And who are you to say how someone should feel? That is a personal thing. Whether you think it is absurd or not does not change it.

Anyway - I was encouraged by Whitney. I definitely feel loss at her death.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry.

A rare sighting of a2k remorse.
Attaboy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:57 pm
I think Whitney touched her female fans more deeply than the male. At least that's what I noticed from all the coverage.
Perhaps that explains the disparity of feelings of loss shown by Finn and Mismi.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 11:33 pm
@izzythepush,
You're a real Mensch, Izzy!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 04:00 am
@dlowan,
Thank you. You caught me out, I was busted, I'd rather eat a bit of humble pie than defend an untenable position.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 10:40 am
@panzade,
Quote:
I think Whitney touched her female fans more deeply than the male. At least that's what I noticed from all the coverage.
Perhaps that explains the disparity of feelings of loss shown by Finn and Mismi.

eh...I was cranky yesterday. I usually just ignore stuff that I don't agree with - most of the time anyway. Very Happy
I think you are right panzade. I see Finn's point to an extent. But it just hit me wrong yesterday.

Sorry Finn - Didn't mean to blast you.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:38 pm
@jespah,
The trail of destruction left in the wake of the disease of addiction is tragically long.

BOBBI KRISTINA
SITUATION BLEAK

Quote:
Whitney Houston's daughter Bobbi Kristina has "significantly diminished" brain function and doctors have told her family it does not look good ... this according to sources connected with the family.

As we previously reported, the 21-year-old was found face down in her bathtub Saturday and not breathing. She was revived, taken to the hospital where she was placed in a medically-induced coma.

She is currently on a ventilator but we're told tests have determined her brain function is alarmingly low.

Bobbi Kristina's dad, Bobby Brown, is at her bedside.

Doctors have told the family they should continue hoping and praying, but the signs are not good.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2015/02/01/0201-bobbi-kristina-2.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:57 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
The trail of destruction left in the wake of the disease of addiction is tragically long.

Right, lets blame addiction rather than the real cause here, bad parenting. And no one is surprised by this outcome, a few years back Bobbie was trying to get a reality show gig but no one would bit because she was so unstable that no one was willing to build a show around her.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 02:19 pm
@jcboy,
What a tragic outcome for this young woman, it is such sad news.

Just last week, the Lifetime cable channel aired a bio-pic on the life of Whitney Houston, as well as an interview program with Bobbi Kristina talking about how she has been coping--allegedly successfully--with the loss of her mother. I didn't watch the movie, but I did watch portions of the interview.

That she just chose to make an apparent suicide attempt in a bathtub, in a manner obviously similar to the cause of her mother's death, and close to the anniversary of her mother's death, reveals just how desperately unhappy, and longing to be reunited with her mother, she must have been.

The outcome for her recovery certainly looks bleak. Either her father will have to make an extremely painful decision to remove her from life support, or she will manage to survive with significantly impaired brain functions.

I agree with you--The trail of destruction left in the wake of the disease of addiction is tragically long.

How completely devastating this latest turn of events must be for Bobbi's maternal grandmother, Cissy Houston.
Quote:

Bobbi Kristina was just 18 when Whitney died. She was in the lobby of the Beverly Hilton Hotel when her mother was pronounced dead in a suite. Bobbi Kristina had "a complete breakdown," a source told PEOPLE at the time. The teenager was taken to Cedars Sinai Medical Center that night, and again the next morning, to be treated for stress and anxiety.

Bobbi Kristina, who inherited her mother's fortune, found comfort in the arms of her now husband, Nick Gordon. The relationship troubled some members of her family, who considered Gordon her unoffically adopted brother. He joined the Houston home when he was 12 and Bobbi Kristina was 9. At the time of their engagement, a source told PEOPLE, "the family is trying to coax her away from it. "

Bobbi Kristina was frequently seen drinking and stumbling around on-camera during the filming of The Houstons: On Our Own, the family's short-lived reality show on Lifetime. In 2013, Whitney's mother Cissy addressed how her daughter's death continued to adversely affect her granddaughter.

"Of course I worry about her," said Cissy. "It doesn't mean that she is going to follow her [mother's] same path. She could but anybody could. I don't want to jinx her. I'm trying to make sure she doesn't."

Living with Gordon in Atlanta, she stirred up controversy several times. In
2013, the couple were evicted from an apartment after multiple noise complaints from a neighbor. Last year, Bobbi Kristina launched an angry, expletive-fueled Twitter rant against director Angela Bassett, who opted not to include her in this month's Lifetime movie Whitney. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Bassett explained it was for a number of reasons that she steered clear of Bobbi Kristina, one being, "she's not an actress." Bobbi Kristina later apologized for her rant.

In March 2014, she came under more scrutiny for her suddenly super-skinny physique.

"I am my mothers child! Have you ever heard of a #fastmetabolism ?" she Tweeted. "Damn, lol, it's incredible how the world will judge you 4ANY&EVERYthing." ...

http://www.people.com/article/bobbi-kristina-brown-bathtub-unresponsive-troubled-life

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 04:31 pm
memo to the Houston/Brown family

start taking showers
chai2

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 07:49 pm
@djjd62,
That's my kinda humor dj.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 07:13 pm
@firefly,
Very tragic! Sad

Bobbi Kristina Brown Dead at 22

Quote:
Bobbi Kristina Brown, the daughter of music icon Whitney Houston, died on Sunday, more than five months after being found unresponsive in her Roswell, Georgia home. She was 22 years old.

"Bobbi Kristina Brown passed away Sunday, July, 26 2015, surrounded by her family. She is finally at peace in the arms of God. We want to again thank everyone for their tremendous amount of love and support during these last few months," Pat Houston said.

Brown, who was an aspiring actress and singer, was found in her bath tub by a friend, Max Lomas, and her partner Nick Gordon on Jan. 31 and taken to a local hospital, according to police. Sources later told ABC News that she was moved to the Neurology Intensive Care Unit of Emory University Hospital a few days later, and then a rehab facility in late March.

In late June, her aunt Pat Houston said Brown was moved to hospice care after her condition worsened.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/AP_whitney_houston_bobbi_kristina_brown_jt_150131_4x3_992.jpg
0 Replies