Why I am not Voting Obama

rosborne979

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 04:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
The bulk of the population is driven by emotion, not logic. And even those who are logical lean toward their emotions. Votes are driven primarily by how people feel. Logic is at best secondary, and I would put it a distant third after mis-information which is the next strongest motivator.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 08:33 am
The one reason I am pro Obama is to slow down or stop the Teaparty mentality from making new gains. After the election I will be pushing for new directions by the Obama administration.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The one reason I am pro Obama is to slow down or stop the Teaparty mentality from making new gains. After the election I will be pushing for new directions by the Obama administration.

That makes sense, Edgar, especially the last part. The people who are so disgusted that Obama has not met their unrealistic expectations...they will vote for a third party or stay home...are essentially voting for Mitt Romney. And a vote for Mitt Romney, no matter how centrist he may seem to some, is a vote for the most extreme element of the American conservative movement.

I will vote for Barack Obama with a bit more pleasure and conviction than some...but whether you vote for him because you think he is worthy of the vote or because you see the great danger in the other side winning...VOTE FOR OBAMA.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
I know, as opposed to merely guessing, you are correct, frank.
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

That makes sense, Edgar, especially the last part. The people who are so disgusted that Obama has not met their unrealistic expectations...they will vote for a third party or stay home...are essentially voting for Mitt Romney. And a vote for Mitt Romney, no matter how centrist he may seem to some, is a vote for the most extreme element of the American conservative movement.

I will vote for Barack Obama with a bit more pleasure and conviction than some...but whether you vote for him because you think he is worthy of the vote or because you see the great danger in the other side winning...VOTE FOR OBAMA.

I agree with you in the case of the 6-10 states where the outcome is in question. Otherwise a third party vote doesn't impact Obama's chances of winning but it keeps the third party momentum alive (and, hopefully, growing). OTOH, I completely agree with you in all cases when it comes to local, state and national representation. I'm currently on the fence between Jill Stein and Gary Johnson for my IL-based presidential vote, but for the first time in my life will vote for a full Dem slate in all other elections. Fools like Gary Akin come up through the local, state, national races. It's time to stop the loons from gaining numbers in each of those races.
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:24 am
Speaking of states that are in play... the daily intrade map shows a post-convention bounce for Obama in OK and FL that bring them within 4% of blue.

http://electoralmap.net/2012/intrade.php
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 11:38 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I know, as opposed to merely guessing, you are correct, frank.

Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 11:42 am
@JPB,
Quote:
I agree with you in the case of the 6-10 states where the outcome is in question. Otherwise a third party vote doesn't impact Obama's chances of winning but it keeps the third party momentum alive (and, hopefully, growing). OTOH, I completely agree with you in all cases when it comes to local, state and national representation. I'm currently on the fence between Jill Stein and Gary Johnson for my IL-based presidential vote, but for the first time in my life will vote for a full Dem slate in all other elections. Fools like Gary Akin come up through the local, state, national races. It's time to stop the loons from gaining numbers in each of those races.

I agree with you to a point, JPB...but there is another dynamic in play in all this. The people who normally would be in the Obama camp but who are loudly and publicly proclaiming they will vote for a third party or stay home on Election Day...impact outside their immediate area. Someone in New York or California may think they can shout this stuff out as loudly as they want...because they are convinced Obama will get the electoral votes in those two states no matter what.

But all that desertion and griping has impact outside of New York and California...and many undecided independent voters are being encouraged to withhold from Obama because so many of his base are pissed.

So...yeah, I agree, but I also disagree!
RABEL222

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Are you flip floping again?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, You've stated it quite well; blaming Obama for the slow growth in our economy is not realistic - no matter how desperate one is. There's a world recession going on, and the US economy is barely hanging on by the skin of our teeth. When the world economy is in shambles, you can't expect one country to be creating jobs. It only means most people don't understand simple math or economic concepts.

One has to look at our unemployment rate vs all the developed countries of the world; we're doing pretty good by those standards.

That's also one reason why our stock market and bonds are doing well; most investors know that equities in the US is more reliable than most other country's. They're investing in the US more than they are in their own countries.

Relatively speaking, the US dollar is holding its own.

Most people have the misconception that our deficit will kill our economy, but that's not true. During WWII, our country held the biggest national debt, and we came out very strong compared to other countries.

The bottom line is that we must have faith in our economy, because that's all we have left. If our economy is doomed, the rest of the world will be worse off. We all know the US bond holdings of China and Japan. They can't afford to create handicaps for our country's economy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 01:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, ci. In any case, it is going to be a rocky ride no matter who is driving this bus...so we all better buckle up. The fly in the ointment as I see it...are jobs.

Can ANY economy these days see enough decent paying jobs created for everyone who needs and wants one.

I am skeptical that can happen. Our erupting technology seems to be making the element of human labor less and less valuable (there is less and less need to pay humans decent wages to do many of the jobs that just a few years ago were the lifeblood of the work force.) I call attention to the fact that not too many years ago, each corporation and small business in America had a pool of workers known as the steno pool...decent paying jobs for (mostly) young women who did clerical work. That has been almost completely wiped out. That is easy to see...the typing, filing, recording, (steno), obviously all has gone completely technical. Imagine how many less easily seen counterparts there are to that!

I hope I am wrong in my pessimism. We'll see as time passes...and I suspect before too much time passes. The next four years will tell us lots about how this is going to work out.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 02:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's the reason why the work force needs to keep up with technology and advance their skills to match the demands where it exists.

Auto production still requires labor in combination with robots. It's necessary for the labor force to work in conjunction with computerized machinery to stay competitive in the world marketplace.

Advanced economies move from labor intensive to automated production systems. We saw this change in many of the advanced economies of today when we/they produced clothing, then advanced to more sophisticated products and services, and "transferred" the production of clothing to cheaper labor cost countries.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:10 pm
i am voting for Romney because I have decided to never again vote for an incumbent in Washington until these people as a group begin to act like they want to do their jobs. the job of course is to work together to make America better, to work for the interests of the American people. the alleged quality of the individual incumbent and an alleged lack of quality of the challenger are irrelevant to me. i am now the ultimate single issue voter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 12:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Boehner has said he doesn't think they can agree on a budget deal, and will allow the credit of the US to take a downgrade on our bonds.

Why would any sane American vote for the GOP?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
After the election I will be pushing for new directions by the Obama administration.

That's like saying the best way to deter a thief is to give him more of your money. You can't change the Democrats if you keep voting for Democrats.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 12:29 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
After the election I will be pushing for new directions by the Obama administration.

That's like saying the best way to deter a thief is to give him more of your money. You can't change the Democrats if you keep voting for Democrats.

Wrongo. You can't change the Democrats if you DON'T vote for them.

Unless you are looking to make them more right-wing, that is.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 01:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
In today's political reality is that most democrats have to lean to the right to win.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 01:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Unless you are looking to make them more right-wing, that is.

They're plenty enough right-wing already. And voting for them just encourages more of the same.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 04:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
Joe is right. The democratic party is about where Goldwater was 50 years ago.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 07:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Why would any sane American vote for the GOP?

You're making a mighty big assumption, CI.
0 Replies