WashPost Editor calls Keystone rejection an insane act

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:55 pm
@parados,

A few years ago our economy was healthier and demand for gas/oil was higher.

Oil production on land under Obama government control has dropped 40% since Oboy became president.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:09 pm
@H2O MAN,
I must watch myself to not get involved in energy discussions involving supply. However, I will say that Spurt has his head up his ass again and somebody's gonna have to extract it before he suffocates.

The people of Nebraska are overwhelmingly against the pipeline route because it overlies the US's biggest single aquifer that is heavily recharged from the SANDHILLS (where the pipe is supposed to go).

PS, we are experiencing a glut of nat gas and as such, the prices are declining in futures trading. If the drilling stops it will be purely the decision of the gas exploration companies (NOT THE GOVT as some of you drill drill shitheads are mumbling)
I converted my entire house to gas . Innstead of the stupid ethanol cars, we should be doing nat gas engines and propyl ester diesels (made from nat gas)
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:14 pm
@farmerman,

I am compelled to point out that Formerman is either a liar or an ignoranus... neither make him a reputable source of factual information
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:14 pm
@H2O MAN,
part of the terms of your parole?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Terms on the US constitution.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
Yep. New Mexico was counting on a windfall of extra money to spend this year from natural gas profits. We were told yesterday that the money never materialized. Natural gas profits are way down and supply way up due to the warm winter most of the US is experiencing.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/nm_legislature/lawmaker-new-money-may-fall-through

Quote:
State lawmakers and Gov. Susana Martinez both proposed an increase in spending for the budget year that begins in July, largely from a projected jump in oil and natural gas money.

But future forecasts show natural gas prices are expected to be down about 33 percent, or $1.70 less than what the governor and Legislature planned for, according to Smith.

"That has the capacity to wipe out $250 million virtually overnight," said Smith.

Rep. Don Bratton, R-Hobbs, who is a former oil and gas producer, also said the volatility in the market could be devastating to the state.

"A 10-cent change on natural gas prices is about $13 million dollars to the state of New Mexico," said Bratton.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:55 pm
@H2O MAN,
youre an idiot s[purt and your ability to understand the news is based solely upon it being spoon fed to you by some right wing douche nozzle radio head.

Limbaugh gets it wrong all the time so Im not surprised at your meager education.

twit.
I shall only be on record to tell you that oil production has slowed for the entire world due to the recession. Of the oil that is drilled, we are now producing over 50% of our needs for the day. Thats better than its been for about 50 years.
AS far as needing the oil pipeline, its already targeted for world market you dickhead. It will create maybe 400-4000 temp (riggers and pipeline specialty)jobs and will then be manned by foreign mamagement companies . As far as I can see, the only thing the US has in there is to refine the "oil" (its not even real oil by the way). But I dont want your head to explode.

If you are infavor of potential contamination of this country's single most productive aquifer, then keep supporting this pipeline. ALMOST EVERY PIPELINE IN THE US has had a leak, blowout, or "pig pool spill" at one time or another. That is a fact that cannot be denied.

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:57 pm
@farmerman,

you're a douchebag and an ignoranus formerman.

why must you perpetuate one lie with yet another lie

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
as a bit of news from the gas fields , (due entirely upon the new methods of drilling and fracturing) we have about 120 years of nat gas available to us NOW and the reserves are still growing.

Can we do this cleanly and without messing our nests? Thats a damn good question and something I have to sidestep .

Doesnt NM have an extraction surcharge? or has the gas pumping just been gradually shut down.

Jere in Pa they are slowly capping wells and theyve already "Lost" over 500 from the records. DUHH.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:10 pm
@farmerman,
Looking at this site: http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/budget-tax/state-energy-revenues-update.aspx

It lists these for New Mexico as of 2006.

New Mexico

Natural gas processor's tax
Oil and gas ad valorem production tax
Oil and gas conservation tax
Oil and gas privilege tax
Oil and gas severance tax
Resources excise tax
Severance tax

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:15 pm
@farmerman,
As far as pumping goes, in 1985 I invested a very small amount of money in a natural gas consortium/partnership that owns pieces of many wells scattered all over the U.S. Currently, I'd say they've capped at least 60% of their natural gas wells either because of high extraction costs or low market prices. I used to get about $35 a quarter from the investment. This year it is down to about $6 a quarter. I keep holding onto it, thinking it will some day be worthwhile.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I must watch myself to not get involved in energy discussions involving supply. However, I will say that Spurt has his head up his ass again and somebody's gonna have to extract it before he suffocates.

The people of Nebraska are overwhelmingly against the pipeline route because it overlies the US's biggest single aquifer that is heavily recharged from the SANDHILLS (where the pipe is supposed to go).

PS, we are experiencing a glut of nat gas and as such, the prices are declining in futures trading. If the drilling stops it will be purely the decision of the gas exploration companies (NOT THE GOVT as some of you drill drill shitheads are mumbling)
I converted my entire house to gas . Innstead of the stupid ethanol cars, we should be doing nat gas engines and propyl ester diesels (made from nat gas)

I agree with Farmerman with respect to the Nebraska sandhills issue. This is a strange and environmentally risky choice for this small segment of the pipeline route, and avoiding the sandhills entirely (as do other nearby pipelines) is both easily feasible and appropriate.

However, the actions to date of the Administration strongly suggest their objections go far beyond the (rather easioy solved) Nebraska sandhills issue.

The extensive verbiage here about the beneficial decline in natural gas prices is largely irrelevant to the question of regional supplies of petroleum. The two fuels are fungible and interchangable in many aspects of the chemical industry, but very little beyond that. The increased domestic production of natural gas has already been a very significant boost to our troubled economy - both in its direct production aspects and in the economies it delivers to other jobs-producing industries, as well as the obvious benefits to consumers generally. Increased availability of domestic or regional sources of petroleum will have a similar and additive beneficial economic effect.

As Ceili has noted the Canadians are going to continue expl;oitation of Alberta's tar sands resources, whether we like it or not (and my impression is, whether the national government in Ottawa likes it or not). My company does business in Alberta wirh Suncor and other producers there. The environmental regulatory regime in Alberta is vastly more permissive than what exists here. The Alberta government is introducing some new requirements that will reduce the leaching from the vast expanse of residue ponds into the Bow, Athabasca and other rivers, but in the main the development would never be permitted here. I believe wisdom lies somewhere between the two extremes - the development of these resources should be permitted, but the economic margins permit more precautions than are currently being taken by the operators in Alberta. In the end this is an issue for the Canadians to decide for themselves, and without our help or hectoring.

The tar sands petroleum will (appropriately) be produced with or without our consent. The economic benefit to both producers and consumers is maximized if the petroleum is consumed in Canada and the U.S. Shipping it to Asia involves added costs both economically and environmentally.

On the pipeline issue the U.S. government continues to exhibit the foolish intolerance, zealotry and stupidity so amply illustrated by several posters here .
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The economic benefit to both producers and consumers is maximized if the petroleum is consumed in Canada and the U.S. Shipping it to Asia involves added costs both economically and environmentally.

It's been my understanding that the end goal is not, in fact, for the petroleum produced by the tar sands and transmitted by the Keystone XL pipeline to be consumed here in the US or Canada. Do you have different information on this?

I'm not an expert on these matters - I have to go by what I can research online - but it certainly seems to me that the point all along has been for these oil products to be exported to foreign countries. I found this today, on Fox News of all places:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/18/six-reasons-keystone-xl-was-bad-deal-all-along/

Quote:

1. Keystone XL Would Not Reduce Foreign Oil Dependency

The oil to be sent through Keystone XL pipeline was never destined for US markets.
In its own presentation to investors about the proposed pipeline extension, TransCanada (the company behind Keystone XL) boasted that most if not all of the extracted and refined oil would be exported --- sold in oversees markets where oil fetches a higher price (and thus turns a higher profit for the company).

Do you have any information that contradicts that? If not, it definitely knocks a hole in your arguments for efficiency.

Regarding the 'zealotry' you mention, the fact of the matter is that these tar sands represent a tremendous percentage of the captured and stored carbon on the surface of the earth. Extensively mining this area and refining the product releases those carbons into our atmosphere. Now, I know you don't believe in global warming or really give a **** about what scientists have to say in that area, but those of us who do are rightfully alarmed at the prospect of making such a foolish decision. As you said, they are likely going to go ahead with this no matter what anyone in the US thinks; but we certainly don't have to join in on the folly.

Cycloptichorn
gungasnake

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:44 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Can we do this cleanly and without messing our nests? .... .

The answer is most certainly and it wouldn't take centuries to do it, that's not the problem. The problem is that Bork Obunga is thinking 100% in terms of that big green/left voting block he thinks is gonna save him in Nov. and clearly has in mind to delay the project to death with whatever excuses he can come up with on a daily basis.

Even the commie-faggot-rat bastards at the Washington Post are calling the dufe (Obunga) a lunatic for this one presumably since it's more than even they can take. For that matter even real communists like FDR and Joe Stalin BUILT infrastructure, and did not tear infrastructure down for the sake of owls, fish, or lizards. Uncle Joe or FDR either one would have had the green fools responsible for that sort of **** taken out behind the barn and shot through the head, and I assume Ike would had them put behind barbed wire with orders to shoot anybody trying to bring food to them.

The ******* P-51 went from the back of an envelope to the air in under 90 days and a simple plan for a pipeline should not take any more than about 1/9'th the amount of time for a war-winning aircraft, I'd figure about ten days.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:47 pm
@gungasnake,
let them drink oil, by god...

(the P-51, much like the original ford mustang, had a lot of flaws, btw)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Quote:

The oil to be sent through Keystone XL pipeline was never destined for US markets. In its own presentation to investors about the proposed pipeline extension, TransCanada (the company behind Keystone XL) boasted that most if not all of the extracted and refined oil would be exported --- sold in oversees markets where oil fetches a higher price (and thus turns a higher profit for the company).

How hard would it be for the US govt. to simply tell the oil companies that they can export all the oil they want to after gasoline prices in the US are under $2/gallon?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:59 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/408064_233667956713227_124679360945421_564768_1826577467_n.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:00 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

The oil to be sent through Keystone XL pipeline was never destined for US markets. In its own presentation to investors about the proposed pipeline extension, TransCanada (the company behind Keystone XL) boasted that most if not all of the extracted and refined oil would be exported --- sold in oversees markets where oil fetches a higher price (and thus turns a higher profit for the company).

How hard would it be for the US govt. to simply tell the oil companies that they can export all the oil they want to after gasoline prices in the US are under $2/gallon?

Gasp! What about the sainted Free Market! You're nothing but a damn Statist to propose such a thing, Gunga.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
OK, you grow your own food or get it locally. But what about meat? Can you kill your own meat and field dress it?
Do You know how to prepare and store it so it doesn't rot?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:44 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

OK, you grow your own food or get it locally. But what about meat? Can you kill your own meat and field dress it?

I have done so (pigs and deer) but I'm hardly an expert on it - with pigs in particular, I've never been in charge of the operation, just assisted. Never done a cow. I've done a few deer in the past, from kill to sausage. I can catch, clean and eat fish all day long, but that's pretty easy.

I don't have any particular desire to engage in this behavior on a regular basis, however, so I buy my beef and chicken from a farm located about 50 miles away from here. It's all-organic, top to bottom, and tastes great; we pick it up at the farmer's market each week.

My local butcher also stocks locally produced beef and pork, we don't usually get it there b/c it's just a LITTLE too expensive (cheaper at the market) but in a pinch it's available.

Quote:
Do You know how to prepare and store it so it doesn't rot?

I guess so - I can smoke it or salt it, make pemmican out of some of it, and there's always freezing. I've done these things but it would take a lot of practice for me to be an expert at them.

Most of these skills were acquired in the Boy Scouts and on the ranch my relatives in Texas own, back when I was a teenager.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies