Non-AABBs Only!!

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 10:53 am
OK, lemme restate:

I want to get the opinions of people who are going to say things that are by definition unpopular with the ABB's, which make up a lot of this board. I ask you to be respectful of them. However, I also don't take kindly to the whole "the monkey-armed idiot over there started the name-calling" deal. Doesn't matter. I'd just like to get the opinions on the topic with as little extraneous stuff as possible, and if there is extraneous stuff, ask the ABBs to sit on their hands or vent their frustrations on one of the other zillion threads on similar topics.

Thanks!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
Golly, Pdiddie, you always add so much to a conversation. Your open attitude towards others opinions and the way you can make yourself see both sides of an issue is astounding! You are truly a diplomat in your own mind.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 10:56 am
Oh fer...

Is this hopeless? People can't set aside their little digs for ONE thread?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:14 am
sozobe

It is said that the last miracle occured some2000 years ago. Are you looking for another one?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:18 am
I'm tryin'! Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:19 am
I ain't lookin' to compete with you,
Beat or cheat or mistreat you,
Simplify you, classify you,
Deny, defy or crucify you.
All I really want to do
Is, baby, be friends with you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:31 am
You haven't beat, cheat, or mistreated, but you've been known to mystify.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:57 am
a magical mystical man, high powered-deflowered motor-cycle dyslexia, anarchist and bad to the bone.
http://www.johnnyriggs.com/images/vespa.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:00 pm
Quote:
For me not to vote for Bush, his main opponent must have a clearly defined plan for the continued war on terrorism. This is the single most important issue to me.

I agree with McGentrix on this one. No, I am not happy with Bush, for many reasons. But I think that backtracking on the war on terrorism would be disastrous folly on the part of any incoming president.

As for which of the contenders apparent that I might vote for if I didn't vote for Bush, I will have to wait and see. I have been reading up on all the candidates, and there is not one which stands out to me. Out of desperation, as I said on another thread, I took the SelectSmart test to determine which of the candidates held views consonant with mine. The highest score of the entire pack was in the 50-55 percent area.

http://www.selectsmart.com/president/

Therein lies my problem. I do not think like the vast majority of people, as I am highly conservative economically, and highly liberal socially. I don't think that in my lifetime, there will be ANY viable candidate that would suit me to my complete satisfaction.

Saying that, a candidate, other than Bush, would have to come up with a strong plan for dealing with terrorism, before I would even consider him, or her.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:02 pm
Hey, it's Phoenix!

Goodie.

I understand what you are saying about just not being sure, yet. I'll be very interested in who catches your fancy, terrorism-wise. Do you think Clark would be strong in that area?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:32 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I am highly conservative economically, and highly liberal socially.

Ahhhh, a real Republican.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:33 pm
I took Phoenix's test and came up with 4 candidates (85%+) Dean and Clark, AND Kucinich and Sharpton?!?! neither of whom I regard as a serious candidate. Does this mean that Clark would be the ideal cross over candidate?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:35 pm
Soz- Still too soon to tell. I really need to study this whole issue more thoroughly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:39 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 02:54 pm
I also took Phoenix's test and I came out more in favor of Dean. After I read the profiles of Dean, Clark, Edawards and Kerry, I have broken it down to being torn between Kerry and Dean. Clark and especially Edwards are out for me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:07 pm
All of the above.

But I don't really count, even though my opinions' center of gravity would have made me a moderate Republican under every president before Bill Clinton. I was originally driven into the Democratic camp because of Clinton's Republican economic policy. Then I got stuck there because of the extraordinary corruption and dishonesty on the Bush clique's part, and by the Republicans' sheepish willingless to let Bush and friends have them for a ride.

But if John McCain (or Steve Forbes, or Colin Powell, or ...) was president, I don't think I would vote for any of the choices you presented. Unlike Bill Clinton, for whom I would have voted, all current Democratic candidates are tending towards well-intentioned but foolish policies such as abolishing NAFTA, locking out third world imports, raising the minimum wage substantially and mandating a reduction in greenhouse gases.

But these are honest disagreements even if they are profound ones. And I feel that before I can go back to worrying about honest disagreements, I want America to get rid of a president who can't seem to make an honest case for anything. Which is why I'm currently stuck in the anything-but-Bush camp, and why I'll start donating money to the Democrats as soon as I have that Green Card.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:19 pm
Thomas. If Collin Powell had run in '96, they would have had to weight the vote.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:31 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Thomas. If Collin Powell had run in '96, they would have had to weight the vote.

Fair enough; I was only trying to say that just because you're "anything but Bush", that doesn't exclude the possibility that you're a Republican. I don't know how many "anything but Bush" Republicans are actually out there. Certainly they're not getting any press. But I do know there's at least one: me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:40 pm
Thomas is a Republican?!

<faints>

But yeah, good point about ABB's being Republicans, too.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 07:02 pm
George and Asherman,

Why do you guys think your insults are not trolling and that that of others are?

Sounds like "my **** don't stink".
0 Replies