Non-AABBs Only!!

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:25 pm
There was a thread a while back asking who you have voted for through the years, and I was surprised that many of the posters who I think of as being quite conservative had really variegated voting records, even recently. (Voting for 3rd-party candidates rather than Bush, for example.)

What I would really like to know is which of the four viable Democratic candidates you would consider voting for. For this to have any validity, I would like to ask that only people who are not in the "Almost Anyone But Bush" camp (as I am) to vote. Votes can be anonymous, though I am interested in your reasoning.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,471 • Replies: 139
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:30 pm
Didn't vote. I haven't yet decided on the lesser of evils, and that includes the "non-Democratic" candidates.

Really, I was drawn in by the use of "non-liberal" as I have seen this usage as well as "non-conservative" several times. It's fun to keep up with the emerging euphemisms and labels.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:33 pm
Well, I am a non-liberal -- just as I am a non-conservative -- but I did not vote because I am in the Anyone (or anything) but Bush group.

Just wanna see whats goin' on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:40 pm
Yeh, roger, I wasn't sure what to say. I wanted to get people like you, Sofia, timber, McGentrix, BrandX, georgeob, etc., etc. "Conservatives" doesn't seem right. What would you say?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:41 pm
am I (and most likely my bud Edgar) the only professed Liberals this board?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:42 pm
I voted before I read your post even though I am kind of in the ABB group, but If I was in the states, there's no question that Kerry would get my vote ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:44 pm
Dys
I've been accused of being a liberal for quite some time now, so anyone is free to call me what they will ;-)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:44 pm
dyslexia wrote:
am I (and most likely my bud Edgar) the only professed Liberals this board?

Dys, what the hell are you doing in a thread titled "Non-liberals only!"

You'll catch a death of cold. Go way!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:45 pm
I'm a professed liberal, dys. Not voting in Sozobe's poll, just observing here.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:46 pm
I'm with Frank in saying that I am non-liberal/conservative as well. I am who I am and that's who I am :-)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:53 pm
I am not sure what "non-liberal" means, but I'm in! (I think these labels are kinda useless anyway). I don't want to be in the ABB camp and I voted for Nader in 2000.

I think I would vote for anyone in your poll -- except I am not sure about Clark.

I understand why you didn't include Sharpton or Kucinich (although I still think you should have) -

But you certainly should have included Lieberman. He probably will appeal to many of those you are targeting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:06 pm
I didn't know you had liberals in the U.S.
Ya learn something new every day.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:09 pm
Generally, people think a liberal or a conservative is anyone to the left or right of their opinions, which they regard as sensibly centrist. Probably the question could have been better directed towards Republicans or Independents. As it can be assumed that the majority of Democrats will vote for the Democratic candidate, whomever that is.

I'm definitely in the ABB camp.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:39 pm
Oh, I like that way of saying it, Acquiunk.

Of course, we have an actual Liberal party here. It's somewhat right-wing, with a leader who appears to be inching left.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:49 pm
I'm obviously liberal, since my first choice, Kucinich, wasn't even included. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:13 pm
Acquiunk, there are several people I am thinking of who don't think of themselves as Republicans or Independents, either.

To clarify what I am trying to do here:

Yes, Democrats, liberals, etc. (I consider myself a liberal, insomuch as labels are useful at all) will overwhelmingly vote ABB. I will. I include only those 4 candidates because I think they are the only ones with a reasonable chance of getting the Dem nomination.

What I am trying to figure out is which of those 4 appeal to the actual swing voters, not the ABB's.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:33 pm
Kerry,Edwards or Clark would suite me fine. Dean is not my cup of tea. Should he get the nomination I would have to think long and hard before voting for him. As for those not mentioned I would have a hard time voting for them even if they were running for dog catcher.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:42 pm
Better title?

Thanks, au.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:35 pm
Sozobe,

I wouldn't wote for any of the choices you offered (Kerry. Clark, Dean, Edwards). Under certain conditions I could be induced to vote for Lieberman, however.

It turns out I have never voted for a Democrat in a Presidential election.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:40 pm
Thanks for replying, georgeob!

Can you tell me more about the certain conditions?

More people I want to hear from: Occam Bill, Asherman, Scrat, cjhsa... hmmm... forgetting lots, but grab 'em by the lapels if you see 'em and send 'em thisaway, willya?

Thanks!
0 Replies